Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Recording - Talkin' to Myself.  (Read 890 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »

A new version of this song with harmonica and cajon.  

https://www.reverbnation.com/thomaslee4/song/29195122-talkin-to-myself
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »

Enjoyed. Well done Mr Trapper!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:30 PM »

Good one, Tom.

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:21:41 AM »

Very nice tune, singing and accompaniment.
Is this based on real life?
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »

Very nice tune, singing and accompaniment.
Is this based on real life?
Mike

Thanks. Real life? Pretty much. I've been married so many times I have scars from all the rice that was hurled. Women will be the death of me.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 06:18:49 PM »

Thanks. . Women will be the death of me.

No argument from me. Gotta love them, sooo
..might as well dance...hey, sounds like a hook. Probably already been done though.
Thanks for the entertainment Tom

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »

No argument from me. Gotta love them, sooo
..might as well dance...hey, sounds like a hook. Probably already been done though.
Thanks for the entertainment Tom

Thanks for listening. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »

Good one, Tom.

Thanks for listening, Quee.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »

Nice.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
markj

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »

Very nice!   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 01:39:54 AM »

Thanks to all for listening but I have to say that I'm a little disappointed at the lack of comments. I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm pretty happy with it for what it is. I'd like to hear what people think. I can see that there have been 250 odd looks at the thread and only a few comments either way. Should I conclude that a few people are being kind and everyone else thinks it sucks? Hey, if nothing else, this is costing us $40.00 an hour! Should we be saving our money? 
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 02:26:59 AM »

Okay, further comments.
Your "regional accent" whatever it is (can't tell) does not detract from the "universal message" of the lyrics (which is why I asked if the tune was based on real life).
The rhymes are good, the meter of the rhyming sentences works.
The music breaks, pauses, are good. The variances in strumming, and the "stops" work. There is skill in the strumming.
The harmonica sucks. No way around that. Replace with piano.
Dynamics are very lame. Constructive comments.... even with no volume changes in the recording volume, changes of "intensity" of strumming could well work with intensity of "emotion" in the voice to produce a tune more worth listening to, even with no dynamic volume changes.
But also relative to dynamics, the voice in relation to the backing track is done well. Easy on the ears.
The guitar rhythm track is very good, it is punchy, and balanced. Not bassy or harsh treble-wise. Like I said, there is some skill there.
And over all, none of the instrument tracks or voice interfere with each other, which makes for good listening, even with headphones on my computer.
No comment on the 40 dollars per hour you are spending.
You don't want me to say any more, cause you would say "Ok, Mike, you are so smart, let's see what you can do".
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 02:45:26 AM »

Okay, further comments.
Your "regional accent" whatever it is (can't tell) does not detract from the "universal message" of the lyrics (which is why I asked if the tune was based on real life).
The rhymes are good, the meter of the rhyming sentences works.
The music breaks, pauses, are good. The variances in strumming, and the "stops" work. There is skill in the strumming.
The harmonica sucks. No way around that. Replace with piano.
Dynamics are very lame. Constructive comments.... even with no volume changes in the recording volume, changes of "intensity" of strumming could well work with intensity of "emotion" in the voice to produce a tune more worth listening to, even with no dynamic volume changes.
But also relative to dynamics, the voice in relation to the backing track is done well. Easy on the ears.
The guitar rhythm track is very good, it is punchy, and balanced. Not bassy or harsh treble-wise. Like I said, there is some skill there.
And over all, none of the instrument tracks or voice interfere with each other, which makes for good listening, even with headphones on my computer.
No comment on the 40 dollars per hour you are spending.
You don't want me to say any more, cause you would say "Ok, Mike, you are so smart, let's see what you can do".
Mike

No. I wouldn't say that. The harmonica was used because we don't have a good pianist between us. This is a demo and not a release although with a little more work, who knows? I guess, I'm probably more interested in whether you think it's a good song or not and whether, that's being properly demonstrated. Let's face it, that's the trick. So what do you think of the basic track? Guitar and vocal.  Believe me. I'm the harshest critic  that I have to deal with. I like the discussion.   
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:53:25 AM »

So what do you think of the basic track? Guitar and vocal.
What I said to begin with....
"Very nice tune, singing and accompaniment."
My comment about adding some additional "intensity" to strumming and vocal emotion would still carry over.
Most good tunes can be recognized even with simple vocal and guitar accompaniment.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 03:06:05 AM »

What I said to begin with....
"Very nice tune, singing and accompaniment."
My comment about adding some additional "intensity" to strumming and vocal emotion would still carry over.
Most good tunes can be recognized even with simple vocal and guitar accompaniment.
Mike

Well, I'd have to hire another guitar player in order to have the guitar sound better or be played much differently. I am what I am. I'm thinking, or hoping, that you're right on the last sentence. This being the Larrivee Forum, what do you think of the sound the '75 L model. Should I use it or go to the Martin? By the way, I'm not ****ing with you or anything. Just trying to start a discussion. The forum has been much too quiet lately.   
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 03:33:22 AM »

Well, I'd have to hire another guitar player in order to have the guitar sound better or be played much differently. I am what I am. I'm thinking, or hoping, that you're right on the last sentence. This being the Larrivee Forum, what do you think of the sound the '75 L model. Should I use it or go to the Martin?
First. Not true. Anyone can play "slightly different" within their own style. You (yourself) have advised me (myself) on tempos, or adding 16th notes, which are things I have incorporated.
Second, if a recording is just guitar and vocal, the engineer will do his thing to make the recording good for anything from AM radio to MP3. Invariably the guitar will have the mid frequencies cut to limit interference with the vocals. So the guitar matters less. People will listen to the "song" and the "voice" of the person singing. Any good guitar will do.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 06:41:32 PM »

I'm no longer my toughest critic. I was writing on a note pad and somehow it fell onto the floor. Miguel, our chihuahua puppy, peed on it.   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:53 AM »

First. Not true. Anyone can play "slightly different" within their own style. You (yourself) have advised me (myself) on tempos, or adding 16th notes, which are things I have incorporated.
Second, if a recording is just guitar and vocal, the engineer will do his thing to make the recording good for anything from AM radio to MP3. Invariably the guitar will have the mid frequencies cut to limit interference with the vocals. So the guitar matters less. People will listen to the "song" and the "voice" of the person singing. Any good guitar will do.
Mike

Just intended as a demo. The guitar is in service of the song. Which is the only thing I'm wondering about. It could always use extra instruments and certainly it could be produced and arranged differently. By the way, the guitar is a 43 year old Larrivee. There is little to no EQing going on but a lot of palm muting. What you hear is what it is. Any old guitar will not do.      
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: