Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Blackwood Overrated?  (Read 1488 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »

there are lots of bw lovers here (im one of them too, since i own a bw dread), but last week i started thinking about something. is it overrated? does it have just a cult following? is it just koa's poor cousin looked at as the black sheep of the family?

i guess the reason i started asking myself this is because there are no higher end models with this wood, only the lowest line is made with bw. why is that, i wonder? if it was this awesome great wood, it seems that they would be building the higher end stuff with it, right? OR......maybe since its sorta unknown, they fear that they can't sell a high end model with a mystery wood such as bw? what do you think?

i personally love the tone and the look of mine and wouldn't take for it, but are we bw owners just fooling ourselves in thinking that we have something great? will it ever really be worth anything or become collectable or seen as something rare and valuble?  
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 09:49:36 AM »

Like Koa, Blackwood has it's admirers. Some like it, some don't.  Blackwood, Walnut, Sycamore, etc, are around but don't have nearly the market share that the traditional tonewood have. There are other makers using Blackwood. It is a popular wood for Austrailian built instruments. Taylor made a run that they called Tasmanian Blackwood recently. Huss and Dalton offers it as an upgrade option, ($600.00) on their instruments. I believe it does have an almost mythical status on this forum. The good news for owners besides it's tonal properties is that the Blackwood units are retaining value pretty well so far.
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:53:02 AM »

I don't know if it's over-rated but I just had a dream about Blackwood.  In my dream I was meeting with Jean and Matthew about a custom Blackwood Jumbo, I think I've got Blackwood on the brain?!?! :o

I believe this is where Jean got his last supply of Blackwood:

http://www.maton.com.au/timbers/blackwood.asp

afro  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
Peter Cree

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 09:54:33 AM »

My luthier friend from England just sent a cd with anumber of guitars being played.  Guitars with different configurations of materials.

His blackwood b/s's with euro spruce top really stood out in tone from all the others.  Very noticible.  Clear full sound that isn't muddy.

Very impressive.
tikabear

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »

The BW OM that I have is the ultimate finger picking machine.  I wish my skill level was better.  It doesn't get muddy under heavy strumming either.  I think it's a great tonewood for an OM.  I've played Mahogany and Koa OM's that I thought were too bright and owned a RW that had a tendency to be muddy.  I don't need 3 guitars and I had thought about selling this one but I'm sure I would regret it later.

More than I deserve.
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »

I've seen comments from a few custom builders that say Australian BW may be some of the best tonewood out there. I like mine a lot, but the construction has a lot more to do with the resulting tone that the tonewood itself IMO.

Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 11:22:54 AM »

I think that the Larrivee Blackwoods are superb.

I had a D-03 BW that was one of the best 2 or 3 of about 30 Larrivee models I have tried - maybe the best.

If it had a 1 3/4 neck I would still have it..

I love the sound of the ebony fretboard on the D-03BW too  :)  

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »

I love the sound of the ebony fretboard on the D-03BW too  :)
You just HAD to go there didn't you? ;)  :lol:  

Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 09:10:46 PM »

I love the sound of the ebony fretboard on the D-03BW too  :)
You just HAD to go there didn't you? ;)  :lol:
heh heh heh...

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
sacredground

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »

i guess the reason i started asking myself this is because there are no higher end models with this wood, only the lowest line is made with bw. why is that, i wonder?
I wonder about that, too. My Blackwood is an 09 series--but I can't remember seeing any other 09's or 10's.

"...when love comes to town gonna jump that train" --B. B. King

SD-50 Commemorative
Goodall walnut-engleman CJ
Charis madigascar-cedar SJ
Loriente Isabel pau ferro-german Classical
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 09:20:54 PM »

i guess the reason i started asking myself this is because there are no higher end models with this wood, only the lowest line is made with bw. why is that, i wonder?
I wonder about that, too. My Blackwood is an 09 series--but I can't remember seeing any other 09's or 10's.
i'd never even seen one that high up. ive only seen them in the 03 series. ive learned something new today.
 :D

on a side note, as i become more obsessed with guitars, im getting to where i can spot bw by site. i used to have a hard time telling it apart from koa, but its getting easier. not that thats a very imporatant life-skill, but it is kinda cool.

mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 09:29:14 PM »

I recall reading on another thread that blackwood was an experiment, which is why it was built into 03 series guitars. Maybe one of our fine dealers will post on this...

Mark

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
Cybenator

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 10:00:25 PM »

I don't think they are  over rated, I believe that the word is finally getting out about the tone wood qualities. Like anything else they will be real hot at the start then the novelity wears off and only the die hards will keep their guitars. I don't plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon.

I happen to know of a NOS D-03BW's location,and of a new D-09BW at another dealer,  if I hadn't picked up a used one last week, she would be mine...The D-03BW dealer even said he would accept monthly payments.  

Greg

Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Peavey Predator
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 10:17:58 PM »

We had 6 D09BW pass thru here,An LV09BW and wiyh out going thru my books I think 2 L09BW's.I have a D09BW which is a wonderful guitar.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 11:27:04 PM »

I really don't think that they are overrated (don't you agree, Hang!).

They have a place, just like any tonewood. When the novelty wears off, the wood will become more common (i.e., inexpensive), Larrivee will stock up and we will see more guitars at all levels. At least that was the way it went in one of my dreams last night!  ;)

The qualities which have been ascribed to them are not misrepresented or ephemeral. Some described them as a cross between mahogany and rosewood. Think of it more as a balanced rosewood or perhaps a cross between koa and rosewood. A great wood and no, David, I am still not interested in selling.  :lol:  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 12:03:09 AM »

Not over rated so much as under appreciated. I'm waiting for a Ziricote Parlor to come along (hint, hint). Now that wood looks really cool. Maybe a striped ebony?

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 12:34:44 AM »

Think of it more as a balanced rosewood or perhaps a cross between koa and rosewood. A great wood and no, David, I am still not interested in selling.  :lol:
I agree Koa and Rosewood is a good description!

ditto, I'm still not interested in selling David!  :lol:  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: