Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivée 00-40M - nearly  (Read 317 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »

With all the recent talk about "what did you get in 2017" and 12-fret guitars....

Well, I remembered seeing a couple of 00s at a local store. One was a 00-40M Custom (picture below) and the other was a 00-40 R - dark sunburst.   I didn't care for the sunburst (or the premium price to have it). I thought both sounded a bit anemic but that could have been because of the large room in which I was trying them out.

The 00-40M was growing on me. But everything above the 8th fret buzzed. I talked to the guys behind the counter. We all sighted down the neck and saw a distinct bump around the 13th fret. We tried a straight edge and it rocked up and down around the same point. When looking down the neck the relief was significantly less on the bass side than the treble side.

The guys said they didn't think that adjusting the truss rod would help because the bump was above where the neck met the body. One fellow offered to have the guitar sent out to be set-up. Another fellow looked up the history on of the guitar. It had already been sent out to be fixed and this was apparently the best that someone could do with it.

It may go to someone who always plays below the 8th fret.

So, no new Larrivées for me in 2017.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »

Most likely it needed a fret dressing.But what do I know.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »

So, this is a new instrument that they are selling?  And they're aware of the issue?  Really sad how often sellers allow faulty guitars to go out.  Hoping someone who plays below the 8th fret buys it is terrible, IMO, because there's a strong chance that person will go to sell it some day and find that they are stuck with a real problem.
Hope the store does the right thing and has it fixed.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »

It's the dreaded 12th fret neck/body hump.  The guitar contorted after construction sometimes due to dryness or stability issue.  It should go back to the factory where it will be assessed and corrected. One of the usual fixes is planing of the fret board and refretting.  It should play better.  Why the store didn't address the issue is perplexing.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »

Yes, it's a new instrument.

This is a big dealer in Canada that used to stock a lot of Larrivées. From what I can see on their website, they no longer promote Larrivée. Even the two I looked at don't show up when I search their site.

It doesn't appear as though they have an ongoing relationship with Larrivée.

I agree. It looks like the neck needs to be planed and refretted. Way too much trouble for me for an impulse buy.

And yes, it's a shame if they simply put the guitar out on display and let someone else buy it, as is.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »

I have one of those in the photo.
Mine has no issues - in fact, it is my favourite guitar and has been for a while....

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: