K&K Pure XLR Preamsp vs. Baggs PADI

Started by MJG, January 21, 2006, 09:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: sdelsolray on May 03, 2006, 09:05:31 PM
Desoldering the old resistor and soldering in the new one is what's involved.  I did it with a Baggs MixPro, which has the same preamp as the PADI.  It's the resistor just before the FET in the signal path.  Actually, a Baggs employee turned me on to this over the phone.  Very helpful. 

By swapping resistors to a 1 MegOhm load, you end up with the frequency cuts.  Many other pickups will not work really well with a 1 MegOhm load, they might sound a bit thin.  Mags will like it, but most piezo USTs won't.

Hey sdelsolray,

This swap... if it's not something you're comfortable with doing yourself... is it something your average electrician can do with ease?  And would an electrician be able to install a switch where you can switch back from the 1megohm to the 10? (I have no clue if that's a stupid question or not... I just thought it'd be kinda nice if this swap could be a reversible one.. so that it's not ONLY compatible with k&k pickups.)

-dan
2005 Larrivée OM-03
2013 Larrivée P-03 Koa

My Boss is a Jewish carpenter  <ixoye><

You desolder the two points where the target resistor is located, add the new resistor, solder, cut the trim wire and you're done.  Same procedure to swap back.  Some studio microphone preamps have changable impedance switches which allow you to change input impedances with just a switch.  Summit Audio makes a really great DI/pre that has variable impedance.  As you turn the knob the impedance is changed little by little.  Very nice unit.  Here's a link:

http://summitaudio.com/td-100-preamp.htm

Dunno why this hasn't hit the acoustic guitar world by storm.  It blows almost all other products away.  It's probably because it's not being marketed in that direction, coupled with the lack of eq (you'd have to add one).