Dealing with dealers

Started by JohnM2001, January 10, 2006, 09:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re the thread about the unhappy guy who got a new guitar with dings, I agree that a guitar with dings like that should never have left the dealer, at least not without warning, prior pics to the buyer, and appropriate discounts for the blem or shopwear.   Also, if the buyer chooses to communicate via email rather than on the phone, thats his right.  If the dealer does not get the email, then unfortunately, the next step is to pick up the phone.  Thats what I would have done, as a last resort, instead of a forum complaint post.  Even if I prefer email, email is obviously not working, either because of a spam filter, or the dealer just ignored it, but I find it hard to believe he'd ignore it and risk a negative customer service thread like that.

However, I must say that in the past, I have corresponded with various dealers, and asked them to describe a guitar's tone, or maybe compare a couple of guitars of the same model, and describe the differences.   Some dealers are very helpful, and will do the comparison/description, others say "they are all very consistent, call me to discuss".  Well if you like communicating via email, and don't want the sales pressure that can come with a live phone call, then the dealer who insists you call him just lost a sale.  Even if I did not buy a guitar at all under those 2 examples, when I do get around to buying, I will go to the dealers who were willing to do it my way, and not insist I call and do it their way.
D-02E

Quote from: JohnM2001 on January 10, 2006, 09:45:33 AM
However, I must say that in the past, I have corresponded with various dealers, and asked them to describe a guitar's tone, or maybe compare a couple of guitars of the same model, and describe the differences.   Some dealers are very helpful, and will do the comparison/description, others say "they are all very consistent, call me to discuss".  Well if you like communicating via email, and don't want the sales pressure that can come with a live phone call, then the dealer who insists you call him just lost a sale.  Even if I did not buy a guitar at all under those 2 examples, when I do get around to buying, I will go to the dealers who were willing to do it my way, and not insist I call and do it their way.

In fairness to dealers who say to call them.....there are some things that are just better to discuss on the phone than via email. Tone is one of them. I've had dealers play different guitars over the phone for me. There is nothing wrong with a dealer who asks you to give him a call to discuss a guitar. Often, a five-minute telephone conversation can do more good than a week's worth of email exchanges.

Jim

Call me my typing skills suck and you all know it. :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
#19
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quoteor the dealer just ignored it,
Yep, he admits he got it.

QuoteWell if you like communicating via email, and don't want the sales pressure that can come with a live phone call, then the dealer who insists you call him just lost a sale.
Double Yep

I have personal issues that keep me from wanting to talk on the phone!

Quote from: unclrob on January 10, 2006, 05:20:46 PM
Call me my typing skills suck and you all know it. :GRN>

and all this time I thought you must have been a journalism major ^_^ ^_^
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Quote from: fitness1 on January 10, 2006, 07:04:15 PM
and all this time I thought you must have been a journalism major ^_^ ^_^

Or an English major :WNK>

 ^_^ LOL...LOL :GRN>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
#19
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I agree, if you have a problem pick up the phone and get it squared away the sooner the better. If I bought a guitar and was not happy with it, it would be on the next Brown out right after the phone call. JMO :WNK>
#113
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Ever notice how upset some folks get if you post something negative about a dealer?  This quote below from another forum sums up Internet discussion about dealers in the most true to the point way I could ever think about.  The Internet is full of scammers and completely different then purchasing in a brick and mortar store.  So it has different rules and sales produce different results. 

In my case it seems that not many would believe that a certain dealer treated me badly.  Why should they?  Maybe they have had good results with this dealer and can't believe that he could do wrong.  The thing is I know how I was treated and I know what it took before the dealer responded and you know what?  I didn't like it. 

How many times have we read comments and looked at pictures from satisfied customers?  Then it holds true for the un-satisfied also!

"when a dealer chooses to use the Internet to promote his or her business, and when happy customers post messages of satisfaction, then messages from unhappy customers are part of the deal too."

Some folks think it's unfair of me to post negative remarks about my transaction, but why is it unfair?  What gives me the right to say something bad about a dealer? 

I'll tell you what gives me the right, I had a transaction with the dealer and this is the Internet.

Steve,You have every right.So don't back down.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
#19
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi Steve,

I agree with Rob. We all have to accept the good with the bad in life.

I don't see anything wrong with someone posting about a bad experience that they have had. I usually make a judgement based on the quality of the post itself, and what steps the poster has taken to have the situation resolved. I root for the side that takes every step possible, and gives the other side a chance to respond, before going public.

If we don't hear all of the stories how can we make a judgement ourselves?
Ron


I've learned a few hard lessons on posting problems with people on the forum.  big mistake.

Those dings looked like about 15 minutes of repair time.

silly.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

I expressed my concern to Larrivee about a repair.  I made it very clear that I was concerned that a repair may make it look worse.  I have seen what steamed out dents look like, not good.

They never responded back, not Brian or Matthew.

I suppose if someone would have tried to assure me that it is only a 15 minute repair.....but at this point I don't care anymore.  I just play my new guitar and don't look at the dings and I took some pliers to the case latch.  :GRN>

Steve,

If you are still having some concerns you may want to email again. Larrivee USA lost their server in a burglary so....
Ron


Quote from: unclrob on January 10, 2006, 05:20:46 PM
Call me my typing skills suck and you all know it. :GRN>

I always assumed you were typing with your elbows while doing your magic setup ritual and fret familiiarization on someones favorite axe.  :ph34r:

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Steve, if your ever in my area..............and I am moving to the East Coast, I'll fix em for you for free.

And I apologise for being harsh.   You should have been assured its no biggee.

I think that finish repairs are the toughest for luthiers.    Most are ok at it at best.   I got my skills from 25 years with antiques and art objects and thats alot of finish repairs.......................... from the 17C on.   So maybe what looks easy for me isn't so for others.  and sometimes..............they turn out alot harder than expected.

Cheers mate
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Quote from: LookingForLarri on January 13, 2006, 05:34:31 PM
I always assumed you were typing with your elbows while doing your magic setup ritual and fret familiiarization on someones favorite axe.  :ph34r:

:GRN>
Ron


Powered by EzPortal