Shoulder strap mounts

Started by Brian R, December 14, 2005, 09:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all again,

I am new here and also about to be a new owner of either an L-05 or an L-05E which I am in the process of deciding currently. I will soon be a Larrivee owner. I am wondering how many users of Larrivee Guitars actually have the missing shoulder strap mount put on? I notice on many models there is no front shoulder strap mount usually located closer to the base of the underside of the fretboard. So the question is how many users actually get the mount put on after purchase or as many do they will have one put on for the warranty setup. The shop I deal with will provide that as part of the warranty setup they do for anyone who buys new guitars from that shop. Im not sure if I should get the mount put on or not, thing is I would not want to much altered from its original condition. Hope you can provide some info and let me know if you have had the strap mount added. Thanks all!!
Larrivee L-05

Fender 2004 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster

Peace & Happiness!

Larrivee doesn't add a strap button on the heel of its guitars because not everyone uses a strap in this manner. You can hook a strap to the headstock by tying it at the nut. The location of the strap button on the heel is also the subject of individual preference. You can have it on the bottom of the heel or on the treble side of the heel - it all depends on how you want the guitar to "sit" on you, and that is as individual as you are. Some people never use a strap and always sit to play.

If you want to use a strap and have it attached at the heel, tell your guitar tech or luthier how you wear your guitar and have him recommend strap button placement and then install it for you. Once done, you don't want to change it!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I will give it some consideration and then decide, it might be that I may just leave it as it is and actually tie to the head stock by the nut. Thanks
Larrivee L-05

Peace & Happiness!

Quote from: Brian R on December 14, 2005, 10:12:14 AM...it might be that I may just leave it as it is and actually tie to the head stock by the nut. Thanks

That's what I would do.  You can always go back and add the strap button later, if you don't like the feel of the strap tied above the nut.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

i agree with jmhyer, i'd leave it off since you can always decide to add it later if you want it.  i know there was a discussion of a Planet Waves quick release strap for the headstock, and I have a similar strap (made by Martin) that facilitates taking the strap on and off. 

Hello,

Yes i have seen that planet waves quick release, I will likely go that route. My only other issue im still battling with is which guitar I will be getting. I originally chose the L-05 which I have not yet purchased as I am considering the L-05E. Guess it will just come down to a matter of preference, the store I deal with has ordered it for me as they do not have one in stock in the store, which will be about another 2 weeks before it arrives then i will check it out and make my decision, either way I do know one thing this will not be my last Larrivee. Cheers!!
Larrivee L-05

Peace & Happiness!

Keep in mind that you can always add the E part later on.  If you dont' really need the E now I would wait until you need it.   There are many excellent choices for adding pickups to acoustic guitars and retro fits are very easilly done.  My two cents.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT

I would also go with the non-E L-05; especially if the one you're looking at has that hideous cut-out in the side of the body for the preamp and vol./tone controls!!! Ugh! Why cut an ugly hole in a beautiful piece of wood (on a beautiful instrument)?

I have a Martin Thinline in my OM-05 and a K&K in my LV-09; each pick-up has it's own flavor, and I like both.  I use a Boss GE-7 in front of a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. which then has a line out to our house P.A. (for worship); This gives me plenty of control over the volume and tone--more than you would have with a three or four band eq on the body of the guitar (with the exception of volume control at your fingertips; if that's an issue, you could add a floor volume pedal as well).

Larrivee's are such beautiful instruments/works of art...why cut a hole in the side and punch in an ugly, plastic black box?

:EM> :mellow: :huh:

P.S. For the strap issue; I have one of each; on my OM, I use the old traditional strap attached at the headstock, on the LV, I have a strap button on the bottom side of the heel; I prefer this location on a guitar with a cutaway, for some reason.  The OM just looks and 'feels' more right/traditional with it at the headstock.

Another location I like is on the upper side of the upper bout next to the neck heel, but this requires drilling a hole into the body side (and attaching a small block of wood on the inside to attach the long strap button screw).  For some reason I don't mind this style of attachment on the side of my plastic bodied Ovation Legend, but I'm not crazy about having that hole drilled in the side of my nice wood Larrivee...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hello all,

Well, you will be happy to know I have chosen the L-05 over the L-05E. I have now purchased the L-05 and it is currently still at the store getting the warranty setup which comes free with the purcahse, I should have it home early next week. I am very happy about my choice to get the L-05 over the L-05E. I did not like the idea of the hole sitting on the side of the guitar to house the pre-amp/ electronics module. I am very happy in my choice, thanks to all the input from people here and also alot of research on the subject, I believe I made the right decision. Also, I will not be adding the strap hook, I am opting for the planet waves quick release and will tie my strap to the head stock just past the nut. Yes it is truly an awesome guitar and I certainly think my decision to take the L-05 over the L-05E was a good decision and I am very very happy about it. Thanks everyone for the comments and input, this is a fantastic forum and very helpful and good people here. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all and best wishes.

Brian  :mellow:
Larrivee L-05

Peace & Happiness!