Has your Larrivee significantly improved with age?

Started by Silence Dogood, September 23, 2026, 11:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on September 24, 2026, 08:35:07 PMThe guitar has always sounded great to me, but only recently has it seemed to change drastically.  It's always been very "sparkly" but now it's got a deeper and more seasoned sound overall.  But who can describe sound. 

That tracks with what I've experienced, too. I think it has to do with the main resonant frequencies of the guitar's top lowering over time. String tension doing its thing.

In your clip, it definitely sounds very articulate, a big plus in my book!

Quote from: BlueBowman on September 25, 2026, 12:33:05 PMThat tracks with what I've experienced, too. I think it has to do with the main resonant frequencies of the guitar's top lowering over time. String tension doing its thing.

In your clip, it definitely sounds very articulate, a big plus in my book!
That clip isn't best example because I'm capo'd and the guitar is being choked a bit, but you can hear its clarity for sure.  I'm still kind of amazed at the quality of the mic and recordings that can be captured via smartphone. 

My 2004 000-60 (EIR) was already " played in" when I purchased it from the seller five  years ago,he'd toured the world with it since buying it new ( he played and sung at Church of England Faith concerts for years) amazingly, the guitar would travel in its hardcase in the luggage hold, and seemingly (miraculously,if you ask me) never had a mishap,nor any problems with the wood regarding humidity or temperature fluctuations- sheer luck I'd say,when I played it first before buying it sounded really resonant, with great sustain, playing it nowadays though, I can't really tell if it's gotten any better- if that makes any sense.

Thin pieces of wood move and warp over time to conform to pressures. That's why we often hear a "stiffness" in newer guitars, and a relaxed, deeper sound in older ones. I don't think it's the wood aging as much as conforming. How long? I think it's a slow process but I notice a difference in Larrivees that are 20 years + vs newer ones. Neither sounds bad, just a tad different. It's nothing to wait for or try to rush. If you like it now you'll love it later.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 02, 2026, 04:12:10 PMThin pieces of wood move and warp over time to conform to pressures. That's why we often hear a "stiffness" in newer guitars, and a relaxed, deeper sound in older ones. I don't think it's the wood aging as much as conforming.

I totally agree.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 02, 2026, 04:12:10 PMHow long? I think it's a slow process but I notice a difference in Larrivees that are 20 years + vs newer ones. Neither sounds bad, just a tad different. It's nothing to wait for or try to rush. If you like it now you'll love it later.

The more I learn about guitar building (and guitar discovery as a player), the more I see the wisdom in building a little on the stiff side. Yes, the guitars may, or may not, be a bit tight sounding at the beginning, but it gives the guitars somewhere to go once the inevitable string tension starts pulling on the woods. The "optimization" for tone comes down the road. Conversely, guitars that have that punch and warmth and depth from day one will usually end up being too muddy sounding over time, not to mention possible structural issues. Boy, guitar building has a lot of art in it! Experience counts for so much in this game.

Powered by EzPortal