Why LS body isn’t more popular?

Started by StringPicker6, March 17, 2024, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm an owner of an LS-03RW that was a custom build by the former Wildwood Guitars, in Ohio. It was actually mislabeled as an LV-03RW in the paperwork, on the case and inside the guitar. So, it's really a one of a kind.
That said, I love my LS. For a smaller body guitar it still has the big, clean and defined sound of a Larrivee. The size is great for travel. This is my #1 acoustic guitar.
I highly recommend an LS if you can find one or have one built for you.

Are these louder and with more bass than an OM?
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I can't compare my LSV-03 (Forum VI) against a Larrivee OM since I don't have one.

What I can say is that my 12 fret Moonwood/Walnut LSV is louder and the bass is more pronounced than it is on my 14 fret OM-35 Spruce/Rosewood Martin but I'm not sure if that's because of the variation in woods or body design. Both guitars have a 25.5 inch scale length and scalloped bracing. The easy access that the cutaway gives me beyond the 12th fret on the FVI was money well spent.

As an interesting side note, I scrolled through the 30 page thread for the FVI that "Mike from Lytle" requested to be closed on 6/30/21 after the final order was submitted. Mike did a great job coordinating the FVI and shepherding the final specs with John, Jr. that everyone could agree on. My original wish list of specs for the FVI included a 00 body with a short scale and a mahogany top but I am perfectly satisfied with the FVI that we landed on. The secret to getting everyone on the same page with a Forum guitar is patience and a willingness to compromise.

I do have a short scale, all mahogany 00 on order that should be here in a few months.

Very envious of the forum VI...

I have YET to try a Larrivee OO (non 40 series...). My P-03's resonance is sublime but I don't know how much is due to body shape Vs 12 fret bridge placement Vs short scale. It's magical, though. Always thought an OO might be good with 24.75" scale... I.e. scale length increases with the body size. There is something magical about Larrivee 12 frets... I honestly think if I got an OO-05 I could sell everything else as it would be such an outstanding guitar. I can't believe there are no real demos for this online anywhere.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05