Polished my headstock!

Started by StringPicker6, June 09, 2024, 07:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My L-03R vine special guitar came with a satin finish, which I felt hid the beautiful abalone vine inlay in the headstock.  So yesterday I found the courage to remove the tuners and polish up the headstock.  I'm really happy with the results! 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

That does look better polished.

Looks good. Can you please describe the process, the materials used, and stuff you may have been really careful about?
Thanks, Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I've never messed with tuners before, so I did a quick YouTube search on how to remove acoustic guitar tuners- it's very easy to do. Then used painter's tape and covered the nut and sides of headstock, and shoved some tissue wads into the tuner holes.

I took a microfiber cloth and wrapped it around a small cardboard box to give myself a flat surface, and then applied maguiar's scratch X auto detailer cream. Took about 15 minutes of circular polishing to get the shine I wanted.  I probably could have gotten an even better shine, but I was happy with the results. Then I used a bit of Virtuoso premium polish to finish it off. I don't know if that made a big difference, since the scratch X did most of the work. Hardest part was getting in the corner by the nut, but not impossible.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on June 09, 2024, 01:54:09 PMI've never messed with tuners before, so I did a quick YouTube search on how to remove acoustic guitar tuners- it's very easy to do. Then used painter's tape and covered the nut and sides of headstock, and shoved some tissue wads into the tuner holes.

I took a microfiber cloth and wrapped it around a small cardboard box to give myself a flat surface, and then applied maguiar's scratch X auto detailer cream. Took about 15 minutes of circular polishing to get the shine I wanted.  I probably could have gotten an even better shine, but I was happy with the results. Then I used a bit of Virtuoso premium polish to finish it off. I don't know if that made a big difference, since the scratch X did most of the work. Hardest part was getting in the corner by the nut, but not impossible.
Was the Virtuoso polish also applied with a microfiber/small box/circular motion? Just want to be complete.
Mike

Yes, I just used the same cloth. Overall it was very easy, you just need the patience to polish for 15+ minutes. I just listened to a music podcast while doing it.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Looks really good!  I'm tempted to do that to my D03. 

I actually did a practice polish on my p-03. I love the look of the shiny headstock.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on June 09, 2024, 03:12:02 PMI actually did a practice polish on my p-03. I love the look of the shiny headstock.
Ok, how does the P-03 look?
I think Bowie was considering adding some info/advice about polishing which would be additional help. Maybe I just missed it cause I have been sorta AWOL for a bit. :donut  :donut2  :coffee
If I do this it will be on the L-03 laurel, cause that is my R&D guitar.
Mike

P-03 came out great!  I was surprised how nice the woodgrain came out in the ebony, really looks lovely. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R