Wisdom.

Started by Silence Dogood, July 15, 2023, 09:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I thought it might be fun, edifying, and beneficial to have an ongoing thread filled with quotes and wisdom for daily life.  I am always looking for ways to become a better man and live a more peaceful and tranquil life.  It's absolutely an inside job.  Looking to the wisdom of the past has helped me a lot and continues to do so.  I also get inspiration from modern thinkers like Jocko Willink, Jordan Peterson, et al, but inevitably their wisdom is always rooted in the ancient paths and is applicable to contemporary life. 

I will begin here by quoting from the MEDITATIONS of Marcus Aurelius:

"Mark how fleeting and paltry is the estate of man -- yesterday in embryo, tomorrow a mummy or ashes.  So for the hairsbreadth of time assigned to thee, live rationally, and part with life cheerfully, as drops the ripe olive, extolling the season that bore it and the tree that matured it."

Love that quote, thanks for sharing. Here a favorite of mine:

How dull it is to pause, to make an end, To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
-  Alfred Lord Tennyson
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on July 15, 2023, 09:39:55 AMLove that quote, thanks for sharing. Here a favorite of mine:

How dull it is to pause, to make an end, To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
-  Alfred Lord Tennyson
That one is great - thanks!  Reminds me of this one from Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanack:

"Sloth, like rust, corrodes, while the used key shines the brightest."

Rust never sleeps.

Neil Young

Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

Ed

Don't let me down...

keep smilin and keep dancin   :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I told you about the walrus and me, man
You know that we're as close as can be, man
Well, here's another clue for you all
The walrus was Paul.   :nana_guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

From Epictetus, Discourses, Book 1:

What is the first business of one who practices philosophy?  To get rid of self-conceit.  For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on July 16, 2023, 07:40:51 AMFrom Epictetus, Discourses, Book 1:

What is the first business of one who practices philosophy?  To get rid of self-conceit.  For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows. 

Bob Dylan sang of The Disease of Conceit. Maybe he was reading Ol' Epictetus.

There's a whole lot of people in trouble tonight

From the disease of conceit

Whole lot of people seeing double tonight

Give ya delusions of grandeur

And a evil eye

Give you the idea that

You're too good to die

Then they bury you from your head to your feet

- Bob Dylan

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

Quote from: Queequeg on July 19, 2023, 10:14:52 PMBelieve those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

Good one!

Quote from: Queequeg on July 19, 2023, 10:14:52 PMBelieve those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Then what's the point of searching, if nothing can ever be found?   It reminds me of the bit from CS Lewis where he talks about thirst existing because there's such a thing as water. Sure, it doesn't mean we will find water, but it does mean there is such a thing.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on July 20, 2023, 07:38:24 AMThen what's the point of searching, if nothing can ever be found?   It reminds me of the bit from CS Lewis where he talks about thirst existing because there's such a thing as water. Sure, it doesn't mean we will find water, but it does mean there is such a thing.
Nothing can ever be found? (That's not my interpretation.)
It has more to do with curiosity. Always be questioning. Always be discovering, which poses the next puzzle or question.
(But that's just me.)

Quote from: Queequeg on July 20, 2023, 09:40:08 AMNothing can ever be found? (That's not my interpretation.)
It has more to do with curiosity. Always be questioning. Always be discovering, which poses the next puzzle or question.
(But that's just me.)

Exactly. You are basically describing the scientific method. It drives me crazy when I hear anyone say that the debate is over and the science is settled.

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 20, 2023, 09:46:59 AMExactly. You are basically describing the scientific method. It drives me crazy when I hear anyone say that the debate is over and the science is settled.
Don't tell my 5th grade English teacher I said this but science is a verb. It's never settled. It is the process of discovery and always welcomes being refined and even corrected with-or-by new data and/or discoveries.

However, I do believe that Larrivee is close to perfecting the guitar design.  :nana_guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on July 20, 2023, 02:15:23 PMHowever, I do believe that Larrivee is close to perfecting the guitar design.  :nana_guitar

Close?  :whistling:

One I've always been fond of,  "Hey you, get off my lawn. :tongue:
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: StringPicker6 on July 20, 2023, 02:15:23 PMHowever, I do believe that Larrivee is close to perfecting the guitar design.  :nana_guitar
Larrivee makes the best guitars in the world.  Glad I could help solve that.
 :wave

Problem solved.  :thumb
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R