Does $8k for a '94 C-10 seem.... optimistic?

Started by #9, May 26, 2023, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Check out the Reverb link at the bottom of this post.

This '94 c-10 deluxe is priced at 3.5 times what I recently paid for my near-mint '96 om-10 deluxe.
Is it beautiful? Yes.
Is it fancier or better? I'm dubious.
3.5 times fancier or better? I'm even more dubious.

I have Quilted Maple sides and back, and this one has Flamed Maple. I've never actually seen another Quilted Maple Larivee but I have seen a bunch of flamed maple.
I have the same fretboard and bridge inlays.
I have the unicorn headstock inlay; this c-10 has a different, but very cool and classic looking inlay.
Same tuners.

I doubt that the market will bring even $4k for this guitar, let alone twice that.
What do you think?

https://reverb.com/item/63055260-larrivee-c-10-1994-gloss?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=Criteo-US-SimilarAudience-MF-2021Q4&utm_content=300x250

Optimistic or delusional? He'd be beyond lucky to get 4K for the guitar.

Yeah you are likely right, but it wasn't that long ago someone would have scoffed in the same way at $4,000 - and now its in our conversation. His guitar he can of course ask what he likes for a host of reasons.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I like how someone asking $8k for a guitar can't even be bothered to take off the clip-on tuner for pics. 
 :?

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 27, 2023, 04:58:15 AMYeah you are likely right, but it wasn't that long ago someone would have scoffed in the same way at $4,000 - and now its in our conversation. His guitar he can of course ask what he likes for a host of reasons.

In my experience, you never get what you want or even what you need. I've sold my last guitar. Never again! I'm taking them with me.  :D

By the way, am I the only one who no longer has access to the emojis? 

Geez, I sold an excellent Larrivee LV-10 Quilted Maple for a lot less than 4K (like closer to 2K) about a year and a half ago.  I guess I should have waited   :crying:.   Though it went to a good home.

Was that person smoking some funny cigarettes when they posted that??

My beloved local Larrivee dealer has a gorgeous brand new LV-10re for only $7,761 that I would rather have:

https://reverb.com/item/52770703-larrivee-custom-lv-10e-madagascar-rosewood-back-sides-moon-spruce-top-dragon-vine-vase-cutaway
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on May 27, 2023, 07:08:01 PMWas that person smoking some funny cigarettes when they posted that??

My beloved local Larrivee dealer has a gorgeous brand new LV-10re for only $7,761 that I would rather have:

https://reverb.com/item/52770703-larrivee-custom-lv-10e-madagascar-rosewood-back-sides-moon-spruce-top-dragon-vine-vase-cutaway

Hoooolyyyyy sh111t
I am not usually a rosewood guy but that is amazing and I think rosewood with moon spruce top would be amazing (I love the moon spruce tops)
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Yeah that guitar has been listed for a year at least. The fretboard inlay is a masterpiece. I haven't seen it in person, because the owner keeps it separate from his other Larrivees, and I'm too nervous to play a guitar that expensive.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Have you tried his other ones and have at least heard that one?

I'm in Scotland so would cost a fortune in tax & shipping but that is a mighty guitar. I like the sound of Madagascar rosewood just from YouTube videos I've checked
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I can swing by there tomorrow to ask if I can play it a bit, and also ask what his rates are for shipping to Scotland. As for taxes, I can't help you there, but at least it helps fund your NHS. We have to pay for our health insurance. 

Here's the website to his store:

https://wcmusicstore.com
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Unfortunately it's not only shipping but VAT/customs plus I don't get any warranty being outside of the US. I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on something like that outside of some investments coming good (or I could have if I hadn't bought the last four!). However... If you go in, it would be cool to get your take on it, in any case :)
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Well, during lunch I snuck over to that music shop, and I nervously asked to see the LV-10re he had. Despite old strings, it was an AMAZING guitar. The Madagascar rosewood is gorgeous, and the fretboard and headstock inlays are stunning.  The sound was heaven, and I'm basing that on my own year-old LV-03R.  That was by far the most expensive guitar I have ever played, and I can definitely say that you get what you pay for. Even the sound hole mounted LR Baggs pickup was discreet and you don't even know it's there.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Damn...........

I've been listening to Indian Vs Madagascar Vs Brazilian videos. Indian you seem to get deeper bass but Madagascar it's more even with less mid scoop. Brazilian obviously sounds great. How was the moon wood top? I'd be paying about £2k in taxes and shipping, not happening lol.

I do have the chance at an OM10 for a decent price but apparently there are two splits in the top so I'm not sure. I've actually just gone and bought YET another guitar. The new L-05 I was looking at when getting my OM-05 came up used after just a few months so I jumped on it. I did say the L body was a bit big for me but the sound was so good I reckon I can get used to it.

So my issue now will be........ I'll have an OM02, P-03, OM05 and L05. All serving their own purpose but perhaps I should have just put in an order for a 12 fret C-05 as feel that captures the best of all of those then I'm not switching between a million guitars.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

For £2k in taxes and shipping you'd be better off buying a plane ticket to Philadelphia and picking it up here. You could also take an hour drive over to the Martin Guitar factory for a free tour.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Haha very true!
Although, and I'm not saying I'm doing this, I still think VAT has to be paid upon return. UK government always wins in the end lol.

Just had a good play of all my mahogany-ish Larrivee's... Perhaps a rosewood in future...
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05