VR? Anybody got an Occulus headset?

Started by jpmist, May 23, 2023, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a VR guitar test video up on YouTube and simply need some feedback on how it comes across.

More specifically I'm wondering if an intermediate player had his guitar in his lap while viewing my video with his VR headset, if that player would be able to play along. I assume beginning players can't play without seeing their fingers so not so useful for them.

Interestingly, YouTube processes this VR format so it's still viewable on anyone's browser. If you point and click on the image you can pan the video to see either left or right hands.

Navigating to anything with the Oculus is kinda tough, but if you open FireFox and simply search "youtube jpmist" click that link you'll see my VR video on my opening page. The video is unedited and the sound is from the VR camera. Not likely to put more effort in without knowing how it comes across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZkFWgEs8hQ

Thanks!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on May 23, 2023, 11:56:14 AMI have a VR guitar test video up on YouTube and simply need some feedback on how it comes across.
I have never seen anything like that. In a certain way, its like what I see my hands doing when I play, except from more "in front of the guitar". I put the browser in full screen and zoomed out and I could see both hands, as well as panning, zooming in, etc.
I do think an intermediate player would be able to follow and play along. I wanted to pick up a guitar and do it myself.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 23, 2023, 01:26:23 PMI have never seen anything like that.  . . . I do think an intermediate player would be able to follow and play along. I wanted to pick up a guitar and do it myself.
Mike

Thanks so much, Mike! That's really helpful. The VR 180 camera is simply two fisheye lenses stitched together with software so positioning the camera to get the distance right is a challenge I'm still working out. If Mark Knopfler got the notion to put up VR vids showing him playing, I'd pay top dollar to play along with him and see how close I've gotten.

So far this is just a notion - a solution in search of a problem, I guess. I posted this same request on Reddit and AGF and you're the only one who checked, so perhaps there simply aren't enough guitar players with VR headsets to delve into this. Perhaps Apple's new VR/AR appliance might work with as no one ever wants to clamp a device blocking their eyes to play guitar  :winkin: 

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on May 24, 2023, 09:51:02 AMSo far this is just a notion - a solution in search of a problem, I guess. I posted this same request on Reddit and AGF and you're the only one who checked, so perhaps there simply aren't enough guitar players with VR headsets to delve into this.
I thought it was kind of facinating, however the chance of me getting a VR headset is zero.
I had cataract surgery years ago. That altered my reality quite enough.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 29, 2023, 12:19:34 PMI thought it was kind of facinating, however the chance of me getting a VR headset is zero.
I had cataract surgery years ago. That altered my reality quite enough.
Mike

Heh, I've not read any contraindications with cataract surgery but I could be wrong. I'm due myself in a few years - they keep telling me "you'll know" but I don't want to and am ok so far.

I imagine Apple will eventually drop it's obscenely expensive AR/VR experiment this summer so it's worth checking out if you have an Apple store nearby. Immersive closed google VR, as cool as it can be, simply isn't going to work because it makes the viewer too isolated.

But mark my words AR guitar lessons will definitely be a thing 10 years from now so all those YouTube guys need to prepare for some disruption. Imagine an overlay image of what you're supposed to be playing over your own hand as you're playing. Meta failed to get the user experience right, but that's definitely in Apple's wheelhouse.