Simple 6

Started by ducktrapper, May 19, 2023, 10:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got an email from Larrivee. The Simple Six would seem to be the new version of the 01 series except with prices suitably increased which makes sense seeing that the Willie Watson OM-01 is over $1500 more than the original OM-01's. The original 01's may have been the best deal ever. I've owned two L01's and an OM-01. Absolute steals and simply great guitars. I'm sure the Simple 6 will be terrific. I need to win the lottery because I think I need a Simple 6 D.

I got a bud that gigs out on his L01 that I got him 20 years ago.

An OM simple 6 would be cool I'm a sucker for a burst finish.

keep smilin and keep dancin  :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I think these guitars are stunning in their simplicity
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I got that email too and I really like these stripped down, basic guitars.  The great thing about Larrivee is that no matter what model it is, and no matter how fancy or plain, you still get the exact same quality and craftsmanship. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on May 20, 2023, 07:31:48 AMI got that email too and I really like these stripped down, basic guitars.  The great thing about Larrivee is that no matter what model it is, and no matter how fancy or plain, you still get the exact same quality and craftsmanship.

Yep. I bring my L-01 to jams and open mics and everyone is impressed by its sound and playability. Then I tell them how much I paid for it. REALLY? I recently got a  Fishman soundhole pickup to use in it and will use it for  gigs along with my D-35.

I literally just finished playing over 20 guitars up to £8k mark and honestly, Larrivee won out 100%. Atkin get a decent shout, though.

The new OM03 burst top had a lot of bass but apparently doesn't have scalloped bracing. Was very impressed. Also new OOO40 burst with 12 fret join, heavenly (I must have had a "duff" OM40 as that guitar put me off the traditional series, but this one today was great). The Larrivee's all sounded fuller, felt easier to play and looked better than anything.

And yeah, each model built to the same standard. I truly appreciate the "affordable luxury" that they are giving us the opportunity to purchase. These guitars are heaven.

Also have to say I'm not usually a rosewood guy but Larrivee rosewood is balanced and full sounding.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on May 20, 2023, 08:54:24 AMI literally just finished playing over 20 guitars up to £8k mark and honestly, Larrivee won out 100%. Atkin get a decent shout, though.

The new OM03 burst top had a lot of bass but apparently doesn't have scalloped bracing. Was very impressed. Also new OOO40 burst with 12 fret join, heavenly (I must have had a "duff" OM40 as that guitar put me off the traditional series, but this one today was great). The Larrivee's all sounded fuller, felt easier to play and looked better than anything.

And yeah, each model built to the same standard. I truly appreciate the "affordable luxury" that they are giving us the opportunity to purchase. These guitars are heaven.

Also have to say I'm not usually a rosewood guy but Larrivee rosewood is balanced and full sounding.
There is something absolutely magical about the 12-fret join design.  A long time ago I was in shop and played a Larrivee slot-head dread that was joined at the 12th.  It was just insanely great, like nothing I'd ever put in my hands.  At the time I could barely afford a new guitar pick, so I really had no business even demoing it, and it haunted me for a long time.  I've often wondered where that thing ended up and who gets to play such a glorious guitar. 

I just wish Larrivee would do their OM & OO as 12 frets with cutaway. Of course it depends on the access. Some cutaways barely give extra access in which case I'd stick with 14. But my p-03 with 12 fret join is magical (not sure how much the short scale also contributes to the sound)
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on May 20, 2023, 09:41:58 AMI just wish Larrivee would do their OM & OO as 12 frets with cutaway. Of course it depends on the access. Some cutaways barely give extra access in which case I'd stick with 14. But my p-03 with 12 fret join is magical (not sure how much the short scale also contributes to the sound)

I'm down to two guitars now, my Larrivee SD-40R and my Larrivee D-40R. I think the 12-fret connection gives a more open sound. I previously thought the D-40R had better sustain due to the bridge placement on the 14-fret connection and I played it more. But since I play these two instruments equally now, the 12-fet instrument has the same amount of sustain. I think the D-40R is slightly more powerful, but I don't know if this instrument has a larger surface area than the SD-40R or if it is the traditional Dreadnought shape. It would be interesting if Larrivee made it's SD models with a 16-inch lower bout and a short scale. I do prefer the 12-fret connection as I have played classical guitars most of my young adult life. I've never appreciated a cutaway design on an acoustic guitar, but I don't mind it on an archtop. My only quibble with the 12-fret Larrivee's is I wish they had a 19th fret for the first two strings. I also got this email on the Simple 6. It didn't say what Tonewood's were used on the back and sides as I recall.

Damn, I need to be happy with what I've got (which I am) but an OO-05 cutaway moon spruce top.. please, Larrivee :D

Very interesting to hear your comments on those two guitars of yours. I like 12 fret on my p-03 but for larger instrument (personally) I would like the cutaway. 12 fret really does sound great.

I'll be a tad annoyed if that one OM40 I got was just a "not perfect" one as that basically put me off the scalloped bracing... However last few scalloped bracing models I've tried have been good. In particular I think scalloped bracing would be good on the p-03. Hmmmm.

Sorry to hijack. The heartbreaker video demoing the simple 6 is sublime
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

After a couple of years of experimenting, I decided rosewood is my tone wood preference the reason for the downsizing.
I may consider another Larrivee without the scalloped bracing, but the dealer I work with contends the scalloped bracing offers better sustain. And melodic sustain is important for the things I play. I will say, although I've sold my Martins, I am fascinated by their various use of scalloped, non-scalloped, forward shifted and rear shifted bracing systems.

When the Simple 6 was first offered in late 2019 I played the OM version at Guitar Tex a couple times, and yes, it was a quite nice sounding guitar. The neck, body and sides are identified as Sipo mahogany, about which I know nothing, but the guitar sounded good. The Simple 6 differed from the OM-40 because there is no body binding or purfling at all, and has a simplified rosette. The burst looked good. The Simple 6 I played at Guitar Tex sold in a couple days.
The new offering from Larrivee now includes the "natural" (non-burst) finish priced around where the original 2019 burst guitars were priced.
Back then, I got an OM-03. If I had to do it again, I would still get the OM-03.
The Simple 6 guitars do come up now and then on Reverb, used ones priced less than the upcoming new Larrivee offering. There isn't anything particularly special about the Simple 6, but the burst finish does look good.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)