Ping tuners

Started by DaveyO, May 03, 2023, 09:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The tuners on my Larrivee d03 seem to be kind of stiff
Hard to turn
Anybody have this problem?
Can I put oil on the tuner someway?
Thanks in advance for all your answers

First thing I'd do is (with the strings off) check that all the hardware is secure and that the tension screw (the screw at the end of the button) isn't too tight.

I guess some oil or grease could go in, but I've never needed to. 

Ed

Thanks for the reply
I'll check that out. I'll try that.

What Eded  said.If you can find it sawing machine oil works great.


keep smlin and keep dancin  :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
#19
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Does anyone use powdered graphite instead of oil?
Oil attracts dirt whereas graphite will not do that, but I've never heard of luthiers or techs recommending it.
I always use it in door locks with good results.
"Graphite dry powder lubricant is the professional and preferred choice for lock lubrication, as unlike oil based lubricants, it does not build up a sticky residue in the mechanism which can over time cause lock malfunction."

"Weapons grade, natural, powdered graphite provides superior lubrication without collecting airborne contaminants. Dry formula will not trap dirt, run off, gum up, or lose its lubricating qualities when subjected to extreme temperatures. A favorite lube for heavy automatic weapons, especially in desert conditions."
"What's more, the universally usable graphite oil protects against rust and moisture thus preventing even the wear of material."



Quote from: Queequeg on May 05, 2023, 02:48:06 PMDoes anyone use powdered graphite instead of oil?
Oil attracts dirt whereas graphite will not do that, but I've never heard of luthiers or techs recommending it.
I always use it in door locks with good results.
"Graphite dry powder lubricant is the professional and preferred choice for lock lubrication, as unlike oil based lubricants, it does not build up a sticky residue in the mechanism which can over time cause lock malfunction."

"Weapons grade, natural, powdered graphite provides superior lubrication without collecting airborne contaminants. Dry formula will not trap dirt, run off, gum up, or lose its lubricating qualities when subjected to extreme temperatures. A favorite lube for heavy automatic weapons, especially in desert conditions."
"What's more, the universally usable graphite oil protects against rust and moisture thus preventing even the wear of material."




I use a pencil lead (graphite) to lube nut slots, but I can't think of an easy way to get graphite into a tuner without making a complete mess.  I agree with the idea that oils often attract more dirt.  That's why I would never put oil on my fingerboards.

Ed

My Larrivee came with Ping tuners.  They were absolutely unusable.  I put in some Gotohs (a direct fit) and never looked back.  You can get a great set of Gotohs for around $40.  Well worth the little time and investment. 

Quote from: eded on May 05, 2023, 03:04:46 PMI use a pencil lead (graphite) to lube nut slots, but I can't think of an easy way to get graphite into a tuner without making a complete mess.  I agree with the idea that oils often attract more dirt.  That's why I would never put oil on my fingerboards.

Ed
Yeah, pencil in the nut slots is a time-tested work bench winner, for sure.
And I completely agree with you about never oil the fretboard, although I know many will argue otherwise.
Well, I decided to give the graphite a go on some sticky open back Waverlys.
There's no tension screw at the end of the button on these.
 We'll see...

Quote from: Silence Dogood on May 06, 2023, 07:12:18 AMMy Larrivee came with Ping tuners.  They were absolutely unusable.  I put in some Gotohs (a direct fit) and never looked back.  You can get a great set of Gotohs for around $40.  Well worth the little time and investment. 

I'd really like to have Gotoh 21:1 tuners.  I almost hope that the existing Pings will fail, but 24 years later for the O-01 and 10 years for the PV-03 and they keep working perfect.

Ed

I've been looking at gotoh
510 tuners for my larrivee D03
For some reason I can't get the tuners to turn freely
Not all of them about three only
I loosen a screw on the side of the tuner button
And I also put a little bit of WD-40 lubricant
But there's still difficult to turn
So I'm thinking about just getting some new tuners
Can anybody recommend the Gotohs?

Oh, heck yeah. I have swapped out several sets on my OO's.

They offer quite the alphabet soup in several models with different screw hole placement and gear ratios. I got the 18:1 ratio which I like.

I can't guarantee it but it's highly likely they will be drop-ins and add a whole 5 minutes to your string change to install.

The last time I shopped, the Amazon selection was disappointing and I refuse to pay Stew-Mac shipping. If you don't mind waiting https://g-gotoh.com/productList/sg510-series/?lang=en is a good source carrying most all the models. I've gotten lucky with eBay as well.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I got my Gotohs from Philadelphia Luthier Supply.  Great company with fair prices and good shipping prices. 


Quote from: DaveyO on May 09, 2023, 09:44:50 PMI've been looking at gotoh
510 tuners for my larrivee D03
For some reason I can't get the tuners to turn freely
Not all of them about three only
I loosen a screw on the side of the tuner button
And I also put a little bit of WD-40 lubricant
But there's still difficult to turn
So I'm thinking about just getting some new tuners
Can anybody recommend the Gotohs?

I've swapped out several guitars for Gotoh 510 contours. I really like them. They look cool and work great. Easy drop in replacement. 

Powered by EzPortal