Larrivee OM-03BH

Started by guitarman001, March 26, 2023, 10:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is annoying - I have a dead note / sympathetic resonance at fret 8 on A string.

It's not a fret issue and it's not an action issue. If I tune down a whole step the dead note (no sustain) moves up two frets. I was reading on the AGF forum this is a real thing, the Helmholtz frequency.

So.... I am under warranty but reading Larrivee warranty I am responsible for shipping costs. I am so loathe to do this as accidents can happen in transit and it will not be cheap (I'm in UK).

Has anybody else experienced this issue?
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on March 26, 2023, 10:28:06 AMIMG_20230326_163024-min (1).jpg
Beautiful!!!  Love the sound of it on your You Tube video. Congrats! Oh and the vine stunning!
I just dabble and I'm good with that!
Larrivee SD-40ME Custom
Larrivee 000-40 Maple
Vintage Ovation

Ah thank you!!

Re my blurb above, I've been doing some reading............ Copy and paste of something I wrote below...

Do not read this unless you want to go insane...

I spotted that one particular note on one of my guitars decay's a lot more quickly than the others. I got reading... It's late but the acoustic air chamber vibrates at this hemholtz frequency and if the guitar body/chamber is not "tuned" then it can interfere with notes. I read this is why some notes are accentuated when played or the decay more quickly than others (depending on whether the frequencies add or subtract).

Apparently this Helmholtz frequency is around the F-F#-G notes and can often be heard most clearly on the bass strings (I may be wrong there...). It's why often you get that "thunk" when hitting the F#/G when playing those chords. Not every guitar has it TO THE SAME DEGREE.. it can be tuned out but I believe it is always there (soundhole size, shaving braces etc... There are some inventive fixes players can try).

This frequency can only be moved, never killed... So it could be moved to sit exactly between F# and G... But then both those notes might have half the effect instead of one having the full effect.

I had a panic as noticed a bit of it on just one note on one guitar tonight. It decays quickly. So I tried my trusty old OM-02. Dear God, I never noticed before but it's there around the G on the A string. Try playing the fifth as well as root and you can hear it even more.

In fact, the more resonant (better) a guitar is, the more noticeable this is.

So on my parlour it's not overly noticeable but the low E definitely rings more than others so I think this is a sympathetic resonance that boosts the output (preferable imo). 

I checked the frets re the ones doing this.. and they're fine. Action is also fine and strings are only a week old. You can check for it by detuning one tone. The same fret should now be fine as is lower pitch but the one two frets above is the original pitch and will have the resonance effect.

Thinking back, I have heard this on plenty of guitars but never cottoned on. Some say it bugs them and they sell to get one "without the issue" but I'm not sure the issue ever goes away, it's just "moved" a bit. I don't know how this changes over time as a guitar ages - probably not much as my OM-02 has a little of it after 20 years. I might contact the manufacturer but I think this is just a phenomenon that is there, unless it is particularly bad.

I've been reading up on this on the AGF forum and other. Is this just news to me? Feel free to correct any mistakes or misunderstandings above.

Acoustic guitar.. so much more "difficult" than electric and in more ways than one! How often do you really go up and down every single note before purchase, also trying fifths to make sure both notes truly ring and sustain?

Only try this with your own guitar if you are ok with going a little bit mad lol
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Not sure what to tell you. Wooden guitars that were once trees have their own unique quirks.  I'm sure you'd find the same issues on Martins gibsons or Taylor's.  Re-read your earlier posts when you loved the guitar, and hopefully you can see beyond this, unless it's REALLY annoying to hear.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Oh yes, defo... I pinged Larrivee just to ask if there's anything can do. That one note is a little annoying but the guitar is stellar so it's going nowhere - and yeah, it is defo on other guitars the world over. Just don't go searching for it on yours lol
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I never did show the Bhilwara back

https://ibb.co/t3cg0wp
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Bhilwara+ Moonwood really is stunning. Definitely a rosewood in terms of weight and resonance - has a bit of the syrupy mahogany tone. The bass thunders, though sustain slightly shorter than rosewood. The trebles don't pierce like rosewood. It's relatively mellow. Unique. I'd like to try monkeypod as apparently that's similar.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Had a decent session with this tonight and sweet lord, it is special. If you see one near you, try one. The tone is unique and very more-ish. The ring and some of the depth of rosewood but with a mellow clarity and "sponginess" if that makes sense, in a very very good way. I'm really lucky to have this guitar and Bhilwara really is amazing paired with the moon spruce top.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I would love to have a moon wood spruce top. Just the story alone and Stradivarius history makes it such a magical top wood. However, I've been told that all braces are now made with moon wood, so there's a bit inside my Larrivee's.  :nana_guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

That's right re the bracing which is a cool fact. I don't know if that improves the tone any?
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Maybe the moon wood spruce tree felling process produces more stable wood for bracing?
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

No idea lol. Apparently adi is good for bracing (light but strong). I wonder exactly why moon wood  is good for bracing
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Sorry to keep bumping this but sweet lord, this guitar sounds better every day. The deep bass and sponginess of it (I think this is due to the Moonwood top, which is beautiful), I feel particularly lucky to have found this guitar. Three sound is really unique and very more-ish.

Can't wait until the next special wood run.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I'm still kicking myself for looking at Larrivee's and this forum right after they took orders for the special forum VI run. Moon spruce over walnut back and sides, with a 12 fret neck join.  :drool:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Damn yeah, those things look and sound great...
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Damn yeah, those look great... Are they not still doing orders?
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

No, order window closed over a year ago. You could probably special order one, but not sure on pricing.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09