Help

Started by Traikat, March 26, 2023, 09:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok I have an inquiry-I am looking for a acoustic electric Mohagany Larrivee, that is smaller than my SD 4o in the bout and width.
Has nice bass projection and shimmery treble. I would prefer a cutaway, because frankly they set on my lap better. Would like some ideas that don't break the bank on this one. Who out there has one that you are impressed with?
Thanks, looking forward to replies.
I might add this one would be my Swiss army knife.
I just dabble and I'm good with that!
Martin SC 13E (for sale)
Larrivee SD-40ME Custom
Larrivee 000-40 Maple
Vintage Ovation

Not quite sure the question as you want a very specific guitar but are asking for ideas. So, I'll throw out some things to consider.

As you go down in size you have to make some compromises. The bass projection reduces and the top end shimmer becomes a little sharper and more dry. This things, along with the OM body size, bring the midrange forward. If the mahogany you're referring to is the top, then that's more midrange oriented as well.

If you're looking to contrast your SD, then you're on the right track. It should give you a very different tone. However, if you wanted something more along the lines of your SD, but smaller, I'd strongly recommend looking into a 000.
Also, don't sleep on the L as it's close to an OM but with a slightly more full bass response.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

If you are looking to stick with the Larrivee brand, I would recommend trying an LV-03e.  My L has a nice bass but not overwhelming like a dead, and can handle picking and strumming.  Everyone calls the L's the swiss army knife guitar.  I also love the look of the venetian cutaway on the LV's.  My guitar is the rosewood, but I've read raving reviews of the mahogany model. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

String Picker
What are the dimension differences between the LV 03 and the OMV 03? I still havent figured out the difference between the L's. Are they a bit bigger, smaller etc.
Martin SC 13E (for sale)
Larrivee SD-40ME Custom
Larrivee 000-40 Maple
Vintage Ovation

They are similar in size but the lower bought is where you get your bass. That's why the 3 mid sized guitars all sound different, with the OM having the most midrange projection, the L having a touch more bass, and the 000 having the most bass of the 3.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

The L has a slope shouldered upper bout, making it very comfortable, and the larger lower bout for bass, like Bowie said. The larrivee.com website has a really nice model comparison online tool where you can see all the dimensions side by side. You can even compare multiple models next to each other.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

StringPicker, thank you for the information. I have been on that site multiple times and never knew I could compare models side by side. What a game changer!!
Martin SC 13E (for sale)
Larrivee SD-40ME Custom
Larrivee 000-40 Maple
Vintage Ovation

Aren't Larrivee OMs larger than most? Haven't tried an L... Heard they're great but OM probably as big as I go (famous last words)
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05