A-33 ; SHE’S HERE!!!!

Started by Ian Rossiter, April 29, 2020, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awoke to my Wife and Son barreling through the bedroom door, rousing me from a post-night shift doze with a beautifully unscathed shipping box that arrived at our door,just minutes before.
Opening box and packing materials revealed a sturdy,rectangular black case with a reassuring gold Larrivée logo.
Unlatching the case, revealed a blue velvety lining and shroud which when pulled back, unveiled a stunning, 2008 A-33 mandolin in "case queen" condition.
In the dim bedroom, she appears quite coffee coloured deep brown, with the tiger maple flaming away underneath the finish on the back and sides. The top has lovely understated spruce grain, Gold hardware and a deep, rich finish.
As the original owner didn't play her often, the original EXP strings are still on Her. With a quick tuneup, and a stroke of a CT Bluechip pick, the bright yet woody Mid's filled the room.
She's quite lively, as all Larrivée's are. This Mandolin is no different. 3 dimensional yet still has that lovey woody Bark, even with 2008' era Stock strings.
The neck has a comfortable V cut, getting thicker towards the heel. The headstock is small but elegant, finished with what I believe is a rosewood truss rod cover, and white topped gold tuning pegs.
The nut width is narrower than my Breedlove, fretwork is excellent, nice clean ebony board.
For a relatively unplayed instrument, she sure has lots of volume and no discernible ugly overtones. She's really alive, the vibrations are very noticeable throughout the entire instrument. So much so, that I found myself having to dampen the strings behind the bridge constantly, it resonates so well.
She's incredibly touch sensitive and notes ring out browraisingly well in all positions.
It's a wonderfully "Alive" Mandolin.
I must have played her for two straight hours. Music just POURING out. In fact, if anything it makes me feel as if I cannot do it justice!! ....but I like that.
I'm off to bed again now to rest up for my 1845hr Nightshift, but I just HAD to report how wonderful this mandolin is.
It's criminal how underrated these are, and I wish more people were able to play them.
I'm incredibly grateful to have found one, and will treasure it for a long time to come!!
Ian

:wave
Congratulations on your NMD, Ian!
I was going to say enjoy it, but it appears I'm too late- you already are!
Who doesn't love a mandolin?

:gotpics:

WOWZER!!!!!!!!The best desription of the arrival of a new chld.Thanks.Wish I had the quid I'd own one I really like the A style.One thing you might want to try string wise is there is a set of mando string made with nickle really warm sounding I have them on my Rogue mando that a client lent me.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Man.
I've got a selection of PB, 80/20, Flattop and NB strings for experimentation.

WOW!!!! I was all excited myself, sounds like the whole household is in on this.........Congrats mate!!! By the way, pics would be nice.

I love Larrivee mandolins and it's pretty rare to run across one.  May you play yours in good health for many a year to come.   :thumbsup

Oh yeah,  :gotpics:

Why Thank You good Sir!!

Also, turns out my 08' is in fact an 09'!!! Aug 21,2009 to be exact.

I put in an offer on a 2008 F-33 earlier today and I'm waiting, not altogether patiently, for a response. For the money I offered (lower than the asking price) I could buy an awfully nice mandolin, but I'm so intrigued that I finally caved in and offered. I have an Eastman MD-515 that's pretty nice but I have this love for Larrivees that makes me NEED TO KNOW how this mandolin sounds! Aaarrrrggg  :drool:
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Aww man, aren't they AWESOME!?!?!
I'm jealous of how flamey your neck is!!

It is scheduled to arrive today...I'm just a bit excited as you can imagine.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Quote from: Riverbend on June 16, 2020, 06:24:53 PM
I put in an offer on a 2008 F-33 earlier today and I'm waiting, not altogether patiently, for a response. For the money I offered (lower than the asking price) I could buy an awfully nice mandolin, but I'm so intrigued that I finally caved in and offered. I have an Eastman MD-515 that's pretty nice but I have this love for Larrivees that makes me NEED TO KNOW how this mandolin sounds! Aaarrrrggg  :drool:

You must let me know how you make out with it.....(ahem) lol

FYI:  There is a nice A-33 over in the Mandolin Cafe classifieds right now. 

NFI on my part:  https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/196768#196768

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 04, 2022, 10:55:41 AM
FYI:  There is a nice A-33 over in the Mandolin Cafe classifieds right now. 

NFI on my part:  https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/196768#196768
She's a beaut, and priced on the very high end. About the only other Larrivee mandolin I'd be tempted to buy would be an F34. There's one in Germany for sale but the price is out of sight.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Yes, the price is a bit high, but I doubt they will get any cheaper.  They are getting rarer all the time.