Wow!!! 22 years?

Started by eded, December 16, 2022, 01:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just got an email from Larrivee that they are moving from their current facility.  It seems like they just moved.  My O was built in Vancouver in 99.  Actually, so was my PV in 2013.

Anyway...  how time flys.  And, congrats to the Larrivee team for needing a bigger facility.  Onward and upward!

Ed

That is exciting news. My first two Larrivees were built in Vancouver and my most recent one was built in Oxnard.

They have enjoyed solid controlled growth, and maintained the quality we all appreciate.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on December 16, 2022, 08:23:05 PM
They have enjoyed solid controlled growth, and maintained the quality we all appreciate.

Yeah, this.

Ed

This has been in the works for a while now as we were chatting about it in the summer
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I saw that email too.  Sounds like good things are happening at Larrivee.  Good on them!   I've sometimes been curious as to why they made the move to CA from Canada back in the day?   My guitar was made in Canada.  I always tell everyone it has a slight French accent.  
:roll

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 17, 2022, 09:02:20 AM
I saw that email too.  Sounds like good things are happening at Larrivee.  Good on them!   I've sometimes been curious as to why they made the move to CA from Canada back in the day?   My guitar was made in Canada.  I always tell everyone it has a slight French accent.  
I believe it was the weather. Or surfing.
The Larrivee staff won't have to relocate, just discuss who gets the best spot in the new parking lot.
Looking forward to opinions on whether Larrivee guitars built at the new Oxnard facility are better than those made at the old Oxnard facility.
Will guitars from the new facility have a new label?
Will production of gloss guitars shift to the new Oxnard facility first, then the satin guitars later?
Or will they start with bodies built at the new facility, with necks built at the old one?
At some point, someone will proudly announce they own a Larrivee guitar from every single place JCL ever was located.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I think it's wonderful to see them make steady progressive growth.  Best of luck in the new facility, JCL!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on December 17, 2022, 09:56:41 AM
I think it's wonderful to see them make steady progressive growth.  Best of luck in the new facility, JCL!
Yes, and I am looking forward to Matt's new unobtrusive magnetic soundhole pickup, voiced specifically for the superb tone of Larrivee acoustics, which will not require a cord to be plugged in, and will send it's signal to your amp via bluetooth, or anywhere in the world via Starlink.
I drank a lot of coffee this morning. Sorry.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 17, 2022, 07:43:17 AM
This has been in the works for a while now as we were chatting about it in the summer

I missed that...  Thanks

Ed

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 17, 2022, 09:02:20 AM
:roll

I think at least once Jean said something about being tired of living where it was cold.  I'd be willing to bet the import/export costs of shipping the majority of product across the border had an influence, too.

Ed

Quote from: eded on December 17, 2022, 10:52:41 AM
I think at least once Jean said something about being tired of living where it was cold.  I'd be willing to bet the import/export costs of shipping the majority of product across the border had an influence, too.

Ed

I also recall it being due to the fact that the US is their largest market and exporting was not ideal. Though I don't know if that was officially stated or not.
I personally doubt they move their entire workforce because the owner wants to live in warmer weather. Otherwise, they could have just kept the Canadian facility.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on December 17, 2022, 01:49:38 PM
I also recall it being due to the fact that the US is their largest market and exporting was not ideal. Though I don't know if that was officially stated or not.
I personally doubt they move their entire workforce because the owner wants to live in warmer weather. Otherwise, they could have just kept the Canadian facility.
You are correct. JCL wanted to build guitars in the United States, so added the facility in Oxnard.
Not sure how many of the workforce actually moved, since Larrivee had the two facilities for 10 years or more, not sure.
Pretty sure the constantly nice weather in southern California had something to do with the actual US location.
Mike

I think at least once Jean said something about being tired of living where it was cold.  I'd be willing to bet the import/export costs of shipping the majority of product across the border had an influence, too.

Ed

:laughin: I think he was joking about the weather (tho true) he has stated on record and no secret that the move to the US in 2001 was all his decision and strongly influenced  by;  the US being their biggest market while 50% of their material was from the US and incurring significant border issues generated by Fish & Wildlife
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 17, 2022, 06:15:53 PM
    :laughin: I think he was joking about the weather (tho true) he has stated on record and no secret that the move to the US in 2001 was all his decision and strongly influenced  by;  the US being their biggest market while 50% of their material was from the US and incurring significant border issues generated by Fish & Wildlife
This is a very cool observation, since the glossy guitars, with abalone, were made in Oxnard after the move, and the satin guitars production (no abalone) stayed in Canada. This is just a guess.
Mike

There is an interview somewhere, and Jean talks about the benefits of the constant Santa Ana winds for seasoning their top Woods outside. I guess Canadian lake effect conditions weren't as useful!  :humour:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Ed

As I recall, Matt said it was the constant rain, and Jean wanted some sun.  There were rumors (way back when) of Larrivee buying out Tacoma which would have given them a ready made US factory, and would have been an easy drive from Vancouver.  But Tacoma basically has the same weather as Vancouver.

Interesting that they chose to stay in California, given the exodus of people and companies out of the state.
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)