Why I think the D-03 is the best guitar in the world.

Started by Silence Dogood, January 15, 2022, 07:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: StringPicker6 on February 10, 2024, 11:44:24 AMIt's gotta be the mahogany!  Rosewood is more beautiful, but I am learning to love mahogany so much!
Mine is neither but is Blackwood, kind of a best of both worlds. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 10, 2024, 11:45:57 AMMine is neither but is Blackwood, kind of a best of both worlds. 
Is it African or Taz/AU? One is a rosewood and the other Acacia, and very close to koa. In practical terms, pretty much the same thing. Both are great, IMO. I think people will really grow to appreciate Acacia once companies start marketing it better.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on February 10, 2024, 09:30:11 PMIs it African or Taz/AU? One is a rosewood and the other Acacia, and very close to koa. In practical terms, pretty much the same thing. Both are great, IMO. I think people will really grow to appreciate Acacia once companies start marketing it better.
Mine is Australian.  Looks a lot like Koa.

I came across this review of the Larrivee D-03R and it also reviews the 000-40R. I found this to be an excellent review and good playing demonstrations on these instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkKvcAMNZA&list=FLS3tqXJPPAJqoixuwOYW9yg&index=17

Here is my guitar's back and sides (complete with a bit of buckle-rash):

Quote from: StringPicker6 on February 10, 2024, 11:44:24 AMIt's gotta be the mahogany!  Rosewood is more beautiful, but I am learning to love mahogany so much!

I love mahogany. Interesting to hear what the new 24 series with adi top sound like though it's 40 series and I do prefer the normal bracing. Can you remind me why your preference is changing from rosewood to mahogany?

Question: are newer Larrivee "better" than older? I have never been into rosewood but heard one on YouTube recently and was wowed. I used to think only mahogany had a growl to it but now I'm thinking that's part of the Larrivee sound because this OM09 has a similar growl. Are the newer ones ALL braced with moon spruce? I don't know how that affects tone.

All mine are 02/03 bar my OM05. I have to say... The OM05 has eventually outshone the rest. It has a very vibrant feel to it and even more growl than my others and it's one of the newest so will sound even better in time. Satin does sound a touch more open but I swear the woods must be better or SOMETHING because the OM05 is glorious.

Anything bigger than an OM hurts my ears. A recent discovery which is prompting my L05 sale (market is dead, though).

So given the 05 is so amazing... I must admit I've been lusting after either a NEW OM09 (newer ones better??) or a used OM10... Hmm.

The best Larrivee is the one in your hand!
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 11, 2024, 02:04:07 PMHere is my guitar's back and sides (complete with a bit of buckle-rash):

That just validates its Texas pedigree.  :bgrin:

I'm on phone and can't see pics for some reason but who was it that did the OO demo Sitka Vs Italian top? I would love to hear that again...
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on February 16, 2024, 01:03:29 PMI'm on phone and can't see pics for some reason but who was it that did the OO demo Sitka Vs Italian top? I would love to hear that again...

I didn't find a 00 demo but found an OM demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DaVuHswCMM

Ah yes I like that one... The moon spruce sounds better to me there.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05