New guitar. O-01 rosewood from the original 200

Started by Blue4Now, January 02, 2022, 06:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pretty excited about this one.  It's waiting for me local to pickup so I haven't had the chance to see it in person but I knew this one would sell quickly so I jumped. A very early O-01 rosewood from the original run of 200 with  the black neck binding and heal cap.  No strap buttons.  Looks to be exceedingly clean.  I've had a few Larrivee parlors that I stupidly sold and have been on a lookout for something interesting at a good price.  Looks like I found it.  Anyone sold one to Lark Street Guitars in NJ ?  

Nice work!  I truly believe these early parlors will find/have found themselves in the records of guitar history.  Super tone, great build, excellent design!

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on January 04, 2022, 10:25:17 AM
Nice work!  I truly believe these early parlors will find/have found themselves in the records of guitar history.  Super tone, great build, excellent design!

In a lot of ways, they re-introduced really well made O size guitars to the modern guitar world. 

Ed

Thanks,  I am really looking forward to picking this one up.   I had a second generation parlor the P-01 and a P-03, previously, and foolishly sold them. That P-03 was really nice, but the idea of owning an original run really appeals to me. 

:nice guitar:

Congratulations on finding a very special guitar! Post some pics when you get it. :donut :donut2 :coffee
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I have an O-01 with walnut back and sides and it's an amazing little guitar with a voice much bigger than it's size. Well, my son has it at his house and it's pretty much his now.  :+1: I think you're going to love yours!  :nice guitar: :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee :cheers
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

I am still mildly annoyed that Mathew built the first 200 with a 1 11/16" neck instead of 1 3/4. 

I was one of the first dozen or so folks on the RMMGA to get one.

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 13, 2022, 01:20:29 PM
I am still mildly annoyed that Mathew built the first 200 with a 1 11/16" neck instead of 1 3/4. 

I was one of the first dozen or so folks on the RMMGA to get one.

this was actually something I was really happy about.   I prefer 1 11/16th nuts   and they are becoming hardier to find in better guitars

I finally picked it up this weekend.  I was happy to see it it looked almost new.  Pretty amazing for a 20+ year old guitar.  The only mod was a nice set of strap pins were installed  Small ebony pins installed property.  Excellent as it saves me the trouble. Serial number is 38402 which comes up as March 29 of 2000. Pretty cool.  Even the original gig bag was near new.  The quality of the wood used on this is really special.  I wish I was able to post pics here. The rosewood looks like master-grade. The sitka is super tight grained with a little bear claw.  The top has darkened a little and looks beautiful. i decided it needed a case to keep it properly humidified and ordered a TRIC parlor size case as its sole purpose really will be just to keep it humidified.  

Its tone is pretty interesting.   I need to get some fresh stings on it but its not boxy at all   Sounds more like a 00 size really.  Lots of overtones and a nice midrange presence.  Extremely happy overall.  

Quote from: Blue4Now on January 17, 2022, 10:36:21 AM
this was actually something I was really happy about.   I prefer 1 11/16th nuts   and they are becoming hardier to find in better guitars

The 1-11/16 is fine on my OM-03.  On the 24" extra short scale of the Parlor I find it a lot more cramped.

Generally I think the shorter the scale, the wider the nut needs to be.

Quote from: Blue4Now on January 17, 2022, 10:50:25 AM
I finally picked it up this weekend.  I was happy to see it it looked almost new.  Pretty amazing for a 20+ year old guitar.  The only mod was a nice set of strap pins were installed  Small ebony pins installed property.  Excellent as it saves me the trouble. Serial number is 38402 which comes up as March 29 of 2000. Pretty cool.  Even the original gig bag was near new.  The quality of the wood used on this is really special.  I wish I was able to post pics here. The rosewood looks like master-grade. The sitka is super tight grained with a little bear claw.  The top has darkened a little and looks beautiful. i decided it needed a case to keep it properly humidified and ordered a TRIC parlor size case as its sole purpose really will be just to keep it humidified.  

Its tone is pretty interesting.   I need to get some fresh stings on it but its not boxy at all   Sounds more like a 00 size really.  Lots of overtones and a nice midrange presence.  Extremely happy overall.  

FWIW.  I've had mine (mahogany/spruce) since '99 (build date Nov '99 and a 1 3/4" nut).  After a lot of test sets, I've settled on D'Addario PB Bluegrass strings.  The light treble strings seem to back off on the brightness and enhance the bass a bit more... or something.  It ends up with the best balance for the way I play it.  Best of luck with it.

Ed

p.s. I fixed the date...  I thought it was Oct, but after checking again it was Nov.

so I measured the nut and it is in fact 1 3/4   ( its actually just a tad shy of 1/3/4 but nominally there)  i guess they didn't make all of the first 200 1 11/16  

Quote from: Blue4Now on January 21, 2022, 02:02:43 PM
so I measured the nut and it is in fact 1 3/4   ( its actually just a tad shy of 1/3/4 but nominally there)  i guess they didn't make all of the first 200 1 11/16  

I thought the first 200 were all mahogany anyway.

Mine = S/N 32176

Nut width = 1.697, so about 12 thousandths wider than 1-11/16

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 24, 2022, 04:47:15 PM
I thought the first 200 were all mahogany anyway.

Mine = S/N 32176

Nut width = 1.697, so about 12 thousandths wider than 1-11/16

I used to think mine was one of the originals.  But those were dated around August 99.  Mine is Nov 99 (33874) and has the 1 3/4" nut which makes it the second run (production run).  The RMMGA Braz run was made before either.

Ed

Mine measures to 1.72     I assumed this is close enough to 1.75 to call it that  I thought mine was a first run with a build date of March 29, 2000  No body binding, black neck binding and black heal cap. 

Lookup says that mine was August 1999
I know I bought it in September of 99

I was one of the first on RMMGA to get one after the usual suspects (Wade, Mathew, etc.)

Blue4Now, did you sell the O-01 you're discussing on this thread?  One with the same serial number turned up for sale on a used site, and I'm considering buying it.  But if there was something you didn't like about it, I'd rather know now than have to plunk down a bunch of money to find out.  Thanks.

Quote from: fuse on April 24, 2022, 04:52:46 PM
Blue4Now, did you sell the O-01 you're discussing on this thread?  One with the same serial number turned up for sale on a used site, and I'm considering buying it.  But if there was something you didn't like about it, I'd rather know now than have to plunk down a bunch of money to find out.  Thanks.

I did indeed.   Absolutely noting wrong with it, wonderful guitar actually but I traded for a RainSong Parlor that I just liked better.  Did you buy it