Wanted: Left-handed Larrivee

Started by dooger, October 04, 2021, 04:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Would anyone wishing to sell their left-handed Larrivee OM or OOO made of sitka and either rosewood or koa, or swap either of those lefty models models or what have you for my sweet-sounding, near mint 2007 LV-03RE-LH.  Please reply to Doug via this post. I'll provide my email if you will. Thank-you.

Doug  :guitar

This is posted in Denver. Gravity Music Gear is a business, not an individual and might ship.

https://denver.craigslist.org/msd/d/denver-larrivee-om-05-acoustic-electric/7389035111.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thanks, Buddy, I'm looking for  a used lefty larrivee OM or OOO on a private sale, not from a music business like yours.

Sorry to offend. I am in no way the seller or associated. I just saw it locally for sale and thought I would point it out in case it would work for you.

Please try not to be condescending or make assumptions.

You're right. I did make the assumption that you worked for a music store. My bad. On the other hand, how could I possibly know that from the lspecific anguage in you post. To me at first glance it seemed like some sort of  solicitation, kinda like a spam email. Anyway, thanks for taking time out of your day to post ra eply. 

-Doug :blush:

Thank you, and you are correct I should have included the disclaimer. My bad too.

I hope you find your Lefty Larrivee.

I am a beginner lefty, learning righty. I think it is the right decision for me. Certainly my right hand is a challenge, but it would be either way, I suppose.

I'm glad we hashed that out. And I found you las post quite ineresting, so I had to reply. There's no doubt that learning guitar as a righty would grant you easy access to an infinitely greater selection of guitars than you ever will as a lefty player, both from music stores and online.

I started playing lefty 52 years ago, when finding a quality, all solid tonewoods lefty guitar was like finding a needle in a haystack. More manufacturers began small production runs of lefty instruments about 40 years ago, but many of those guitars got scooped up immediately by the one lefty guitar store I knew of in North America at that time: Southpaw Guitars of Texas, based in Houston. There was always the option of getting one custom-built, but that was very pricey, as it still is now. Most music stores still have few acoustic options hanging in the racks for lefty players, if any. More lefty electrics started appearing about 30 years ago. Most of the few lefty acoustics I saw in music stores back then were just as they are now: cheap, laminated tops, backs and sides. Basically pieces of junk, with poor intonation and tone! Virtually no high- end lefty options existed back then. If you were a collecor, thee were NO vintage, pre-war  lefty models at all. In the 1960s, even lefty music icons like Paul McCartney and Jimmy Hendrix had no choice but to play righty models with the strings reversed, plus a new saddle and nut. The pick guard was on the wrong side; the fret marker dots along the side of the neck were on the wrong side; and any logos on the guitar were upside down. Apparently the US guitar building iand retailing industries decided a long time ago that they can do just fine without business from lefties, unlike, say, the golf club industry, which got its act together about thirty years ago.

But things began to get a lot better in the late 1980s, when a few good lefty models finally appearing in manufacturers' catalogues. They were still really hard to find in music stores, though. The mid-90s brought the  creation of the internet, which was a real game-changer for everybody seeking guitars. One could finally search the world wide web for lefty and righty models. I even found two lefty guitar stores in England, with selection I had prevously dreamed of! Somehow I found here in Vancouver, Canada a lefty Takamine F360SELH dreadnaught with their brand of electronics built in.  Then a lefty Ovation nylon string guitar. a year or two later. Then a US-built Telecaster. Sadly, in 1998 they were all stolen from my house. Needlesss to say, I was devastated! Eventually I found a cheap lefty classical with a solidcedar top and HLP back an sides to play for the next few years.  In the 21st century, I and a lot of lefty players finally hit the jackpot. We learned about  his Canadian manufacturer, Jean Larrivee, who was a left-handed guitar builder and player who would build any of his righty models for you in left-handed, with no extra charge. Cool! I bought my LV-O3RELH off the web from a store in Calgary, Alberta in July, 2007 and have been digging it ever since. Nowadays Adirondack guitars have a great selection of quality lefty guitars, as does Jerry's Lefty Guitars. Maybe he bes soure for lefty guitars now is Ebay, but buying a quality guitar without playing and hearing it first hand is a risky proposition. I don't mind risking a fw buks to buy a book or a carpart, but I'd never pay thousands of bucks for a guitar unless I'm protected through PayPal. And what if it shows up notlooking like he instrument I ordered, with a cracked neck or a blistered bridge. I'd be screwed.

Last thought: If you want to learn right-handed, that's entirely your call. But you might find that learning left-handed might be easier for you in several important ways. Especially the strumming and finger picking parts. During my learning phase I tried learning both lefty and righty.  For what its worth, as a natural southpaw I found itq uite a bit easier to fret the guitar with my right hand and strum with my left-hand,  than the opposite way.

Anyway, happy playing, whichever side you settle on!

Doug M
Vancouver

Thanks! That is a great history and I did not know that about Jean Larrivee. Very cool, us lefties have had the shaft for a long time.

I hear what you are saying about playing righty. Could it have been a mistake? Sure, but I see no reason I can't overcome it with a little effort and I am not going pro anyway. I think the challenge is good for my brain. I am a neurologist and part of the reason I chose righty is to challenge my brain (and maybe delay my inevitable dementia...).

Quote from: dooger on October 13, 2021, 02:25:37 AM
decided a long time ago that they can do just fine without business from lefties, unlike, say, the golf club industry, which got its act together about thirty years ago.
Quote from: Jamolay on October 13, 2021, 07:59:08 AM
Very cool, us lefties have had the shaft for a long time.
Yeah, about 30 years, if I read Doug correctly  :smile:
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I too am looking for lefties, 00-50 preferred, however open to others with gloss finish in 00 size.  Thanks!