Covid19/Coronavirus - How's it affecting your world?

Started by JOYCEfromNS, March 12, 2020, 08:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latest up date here in Australia.........This is becoming crazy, even "Freezers" new and used are being bought/sold in rapid rate. Apparently people are not taking chances and storing bulk meat and frozen goods. Where do we draw the line. I am guilty of grabbing TP but I have to, what else can I do?

Local store had some TP yesterday, limit two, which is all I was going to get anyway as a Golden Rule gesture.  No ground beef and I sorely miss burgers.  Guinness aplenty though (and coffee), and I'm good on guitar strings, and I've got a shelf full of long-neglected novels.   Might be holed up for a while as things progress.  Definitely a strange time, and Oh my how things can change so fast!

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 18, 2020, 06:56:46 PM
No ground beef and I sorely miss burgers. 

For a while now, we have been getting beef, pork, and lamb (and eggs) from farmers (many of whom are friends)...  we need to buy 1/2 or whole (butchered) animals, but good golly it's good stuff.  And...  the steaks are the same price as the burgers.

May we all live as good.

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 18, 2020, 11:08:01 PM
For a while now, we have been getting beef, pork, and lamb (and eggs) from farmers (many of whom are friends)...  we need to buy 1/2 or whole (butchered) animals, but good golly it's good stuff.  And...  the steaks are the same price as the burgers.

May we all live as good.
Ed

My wife is a serious gardener, and we still have a lot of frozen veggies. We've been buying farmer meat for years now and have an ample supply of beef and pork, as well as a nice supply of venison, as I deer hunt. We used to have chickens for eggs but now a neighbor does, so for $2.50 a dozen, we have eggs. My trip to the store on Monday (for beer!) was an eye opener, watching people clean out the meat coolers and the TP aisle. We're pretty well set to weather this thing out for months if need be because of our ongoing lifestyle. My attitude towards the pandemic has changed a bit over the last week or so as more, and better, information is available. I think it would be a big mistake not to take this seriously. I also think there are a lot of people acting like fools when they get near toilet paper. The weather here in Michigan is at the "tween" stage, between winter and spring, and I've been spending some enjoyable and extended time with my guitars and mandolin. Come April, let's hope we see a clear path to moving past this interruption to life as we know it.     

Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

My wife went down to Wisconsin last week and is now afraid they won't let her back into Canada when she comes back next week. They said that Canadian residents would be allowed to return home but since she has a green card and is a resident of the US as well, it's got her worried. I pointed out that right now she has an Ontario driver's license with a Canadian residence on it. She's still stressed plus she's at risk if she gets this virus. Always something. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 19, 2020, 10:22:30 AM
My wife went down to Wisconsin last week and is now afraid they won't let her back into Canada when she comes back next week. They said that Canadian residents would be allowed to return home but since she has a green card and is a resident of the US as well, it's got her worried. I pointed out that right now she has an Ontario driver's license with a Canadian residence on it. She's still stressed plus she's at risk if she gets this virus. Always something. 

Plus she's married to you, Tom, so all of those should add up to she has a good reason to get back into Canada.

But it is getting really weird, I admit. And I think a lot of it is overkill (and please don't misread that as a political statement...).

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 18, 2020, 12:33:17 PM

They were even out of the left handed toilet paper??

Yes, and that really irks me, cuz when those righties try to use it, they're gonna make a terrible mess!!!  :whistling:

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 19, 2020, 11:12:07 AM
Plus she's married to you, Tom, so all of those should add up to she has a good reason to get back into Canada.

But it is getting really weird, I admit. And I think a lot of it is overkill (and please don't misread that as a political statement...).

Well, it seems out of proportion but what do I know? I guess time will tell.  :beer

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 19, 2020, 11:12:07 AM

Ha ha ha ha  :+1:........no seriously, I hope she gets back home safely DT.

Our "Air Lines" are stopping International flights, my sister and her family are living in a small Pacific Island, they have a business there and can't shut down. I hope this won't affect her coming back home to Australia if she needs medical.

..........oh forgot to mention. I won't be buying guitars for a while, the Aussie dollar has plunge to it's lowest in years.  :crying: :crying:

Things getting serious here in FL, they've closed Disney and the beach.

Um, what else is there?

Home from work, thinking of setting up a lemonade and TP stand.

50 cents for a cup, $5 for a roll...

:winkin:

Quote from: tlp2 on March 20, 2020, 05:15:19 AM

If you have a stash of TP, you'll be rich!!!

(And I'd just give away a free cup of lemonade with every $5 roll...)  :wink:

Quote from: tlp2 on March 20, 2020, 05:15:19 AM
Things getting serious here in FL, they've closed Disney and the beach.

Um, what else is there?

Ha ha ha ha........if you wait a few more weeks, I reckon you will be selling a few ply of TP for 5 bucks instead of a whole roll. :whistling:

I can't believe "Band Aids" are also selling out. Do you believe it? Band Aids.

Okay, here is the latest. Not that we get around much....
Guitar Tex is now only open 12 to 5 Mon-Fri and asking to call ahead to let them know, since they need to limit the number of folks in the store. I am going in around noon on Monday to drop off another Larrivee for Logan to do his magic on...

When going to HEB this morning (Friday), they are controlling how many people are in the store, so there was line outside, not so bad, which moved quickly. Overall, not worse than a normal day, based on parking lot volume. Carts were available inside the store, already wiped off with whatever they use. Police officer at entrance to allow entry. Well organized. Inside, the stuff people were wanting desperately, like TP, available plentifully. No milk today (my love has gone away), no chicken, some beef, and carefully controlled lines for the cashiers. HEB has artfully found ways to control social distancing in their stores while being kind about it. Plastic shields have been installed to protect cashiers from direct sneezes or whatever from customers. We got everything on our list. We won't be back till Monday. Maybe not then.

Again, we live in a more rural area.

Texas has implemented rules beginning at midnight tonite, Mar 20, to close bars, gyms and sit-in areas of restaurants. Workplaces and offices not shut down. Fast food places and restaurants can provide drive-thru or take-away. Social gatherings limited to 10 people. Manufacturing will not be shut down. So this is not as draconian as California.

Enough for now. I am happy to be retired and not have to be anywhere at any particular time.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I'm up I-35 in Fort Worth.  I've not got out more than necessary (only a couple trips to the market), and I hardly eat out anyway (like home cooking more), but I'm still working and living.  Went to GC a few days ago for strings and it was business as usual.   We had some groceries delivered today and actually got some (very lean) ground beef.  So no burgers but we can at least make spaghetti sauce with meat and some other dishes.   I feel bad for anyone sick or out of work because this (understatement), but otherwise the change of pace is kind of nice.  It feels like the world has finally slowed down a bit.  

One thing I liked when going into Thunder Bay yesterday is that gas is down over 20 cents a liter.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 21, 2020, 06:46:43 AM
One thing I liked when going into Thunder Bay yesterday is that gas is down over 20 cents a liter.
Ha ha ha.........shame I'm from the land DownUnder.  :whistling:

Oh how did it all turn out with the missus DT? Did she crossed the border okay?

Quote from: fongie on March 21, 2020, 04:05:21 PM
Ha ha ha.........shame I'm from the land DownUnder.  :whistling:

Oh how did it all turn out with the missus DT? Did she crossed the border okay?

She did, with a lecture from the agent at the gate. She was to go straight home, do not pass GO, do not go and buy milk, straight home and voluntarily self isolate for 14 days. I feel so much safer.    :ohmy:

As for gas prices? It's cheap but you can't go anywhere. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 21, 2020, 07:41:59 PM
She did, with a lecture from the agent at the gate. She was to go straight home, do not pass GO, do not go and buy milk, straight home and voluntarily self isolate for 14 days. I feel so much safer.    :ohmy:

As for gas prices? It's cheap but you can't go anywhere. 
Very good news, relief I bet.  :thumb

Quote from: fongie on March 21, 2020, 11:44:04 PM
Very good news, relief I bet.  :thumb

She was totally p***ed. The gate agent was wearing latex gloves but she observed that he did not change them between cars. That incensed her. Having worked for the Canadian federal government and been in the same union as the border guards, I tried to explain that he was wearing his PPE (personal protection equipment) for his protection not hers. "That's ridiculous!" says she. Sure but I asked how that was any dumber than merely sending her through with instructions. Then she was mad at me! She phoned the supervisor at the Pigeon River Port of Entry and gave him a piece of her mind!  :laughin: