books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Queequeg on June 11, 2024, 03:42:30 PMAnd allow me to try again.
This is a seafaring story by an English author about an English ship when they were at war with Spain and they were in search of a Spanish galleon until they suffered a mutiny and were shipwrecked on an uninhabited island off the coast of Chile.
This is the 3rd of three books I have posted here; all three 16th and18th century non-fiction. None of them "woke".
All the other books I have posted in this thread were physics books or at least science-oriented non-fiction. None were political.
In my 18+ years on this forum I don't think I have ever posted a "woke" comment here but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Is Rupert Murdoch's Wall Street Journal now considered "woke" and/or a hipster outlet? I don't know. I'm kind of an old guy and out of touch with popular culture and not too sure about exactly what music hipsters listen to or what they do or what they read.
And please don't construe this post as an attempt to convince you to read the book.
I do at least try to be open-minded.  :wave

O man, I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you.  Not my intention at all.  I also did not mean to suggest that you are woke, have posted political stuff, etc, etc.  I was (perhaps ignorantly) assuming that to get the praise of these media outlets, anything historical would need to be painted in the current acceptable political light. 

Think, for example, of any modern work of fiction set in the antebellum South.  It wouldn't be possible to just tell a story, but all Southern values would have to be viewed with suspicion, the institution of slavery would have to be fully condemned, and the villain would be someone upholding such things.  So I could picture anything "imperialist" being painted with the same type of brush. All this stuff is ruining literature, films, etc. But, hey, maybe this book is not like that!  Maybe it's just a great story on its own. Hope so. 
 :wave

Quote from: Silence Dogood on June 11, 2024, 08:31:33 PMO man, I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you.  Not my intention at all.  I also did not mean to suggest that you are woke, have posted political stuff, etc, etc.  I was (perhaps ignorantly) assuming that to get the praise of these media outlets, anything historical would need to be painted in the current acceptable political light. 

Think, for example, of any modern work of fiction set in the antebellum South.  It wouldn't be possible to just tell a story, but all Southern values would have to be viewed with suspicion, the institution of slavery would have to be fully condemned, and the villain would be someone upholding such things.  So I could picture anything "imperialist" being painted with the same type of brush. All this stuff is ruining literature, films, etc. But, hey, maybe this book is not like that!  Maybe it's just a great story on its own. Hope so. 
No offense taken.

I'm reading My House of Memories, Merle Haggard's autobiography written with Tom Carter.
Taylor 214ce Plus
Eastman MD315 Mandolin

When I was a teenager my Dad got me hooked on the Horatio Hornblower naval books by C. S. Forester. I learned a lot of history from those books.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Reading Greg Allman's MY CROSS TO BEAR. Good beach light reading.

This week I started Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace.  I'm still pretty early in but am hooked.  I've never seen the film (or films, since I see there was a remake within the past ten years), but after I'm done with the book will watch them.  I really enjoy doing that when I read a classic text like this and then see the film.  Doing it in reverse tends to never turn out well.

I wonder if they will do a woke version soon and call it Ben-Her?

Sorry, too soon? Just trying to lighten the mood!  :humour:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on June 15, 2024, 03:13:11 PMI wonder if they will do a woke version soon and call it Ben-Her?

Sorry, too soon? Just trying to lighten the mood!  :humour:
That is hilarious!  :roll

What a Fool Believes

A sweeping and evocative memoir from the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer, Grammy Award-winning, platinum selling singer-songwriter Michael McDonald.

Doobie Brothers. Steely Dan. Chart topping soloist. Across a half-century of American music, Michael McDonald's unmistakably smooth baritone voice defined an era of rock and R&B with hit records like "What A Fool Believes," "Takin' It to the Streets," "I Keep Forgettin'," "Peg," "It Keeps You Running," "You Belong to Me".

In his candid, freewheeling memoir, Michael tells the story of his life and music. A high school dropout from Ferguson, Missouri, Michael chased his dreams in 1970's California, a heady moment of rock opportunity and excess. As a rising session musician and backing vocalist, a series of encounters would send him on a wild ride around the world and to the heights of rock stardom—from joining Steely Dan and becoming a defining member of The Doobie Brothers to forging a path as a breakout solo R&B artist.

Filled with unbelievable stories and a matchless cast of music greats including James Taylor, Ray Charles, Carly Simon, and Quincy Jones, What a Fool Believes is a moving and entertaining memoir.

Great recommendation!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R