Info about 2000 D02

Started by Ketaha, January 07, 2020, 07:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi there - I just purchased a used Larrivee from Guitar Center online.  The guitar was advertised as a D-03, but upon arrival I checked the serial number info on Larrivee's site, which shows it to be a D-02 from January 2000.  Does anyone know have a spec sheet for this guitar for this time frame?  It plays great and is in good condition - but curious as to what differences are between D02 and D03. 

Thanks!

Not much difference, basically the same guitar.
You will be just as happy with it.
Yours may have been made in Vancouver, look at the label inside the guitar.

Yours may look like the description at the following D-02 link:
https://www.larrivee.com/products/d-02

As opposed to:
https://www.larrivee.com/products/d-03-recording-series

The differences may boil down to:
1. The wood for the binding.
2. The slightly different mahogany for the back and sides.
3. A different veneer on the headstock.
4. (edit) Different bridge wood (rosewood vs ebony)

I have a more recent L-02 from 2014 and if it didn't say L-02 on the neck block I would not be able to tell the difference to an L-03.
But I am not an expert, I always have to look stuff up.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

In that era, some 02s were made with 03 features so the differences were sometimes insignificant. Fretboard binding, I believe 1 piece neck vs 3 piece (someone can confirm or deny). I have an 02 w/ fretboard binding that is nearly an 03.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

2000?

Back then, both would have had plastic binding.  Pretty sure the -03 was BWB and the -02 was WBW.
Neck binding may have been reversed as well (i.e. black instead of white)

Maybe a stacked 3-piece heel.

I think they were Sapele instead of South American Mahogany.  Larrivee doesn't use Sapele any more, but they did for a few years around 2000 or so.

At one point the -02 has a Rosewood headstock overlay instead of ebony but I think that came later.