Martin medium body size, short scale advice/thoughts?

Started by flatlander, October 27, 2019, 03:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have basically had only Larrivees for 40 years.  After short stints a Taylor, Galligher and even a Collings came and went. But I've been thinking about a short scale Martin for a couple of reasons. 1st, that age thing is catching up to me. Right shoulder and arm aching more when playing bigger guitar. Fretting hand/finger tips becoming an effort as well. Sound wise would like to add to pallet with a Martin sound. A little more bass and jingle jangle but also needs to project when doing lead up then neck. Not a parlor, my Larrivee parlor is incredible but too small. A medium size that won't jack up right arm too much. Any advice and thoughts appreciated.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

maybe a 00 or a 000 Martin.There are also small body Guilds from China that don't cost alot  and are well made I have a Jumbo 12 string that feels just like my old R.I. jumbo 12 string.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on October 27, 2019, 05:30:40 PM

maybe a 00 or a 000 Martin.

What Rob said. If you need some stronger bass, the 000 would be the best bet: so the next question is Rosewood or Mahogany?

000-28  or  000-18?

You should be able to find some recent used versions of these for reasonable prices. If you're thinking about new, there are several Martin dealers that do super discounts - 40% off MSRP, which is excellent... let me know if you need more info.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 27, 2019, 06:28:12 PM
What Rob said. If you need some stronger bass, the 000 would be the best bet: so the next question is Rosewood or Mahogany?

000-28  or  000-18?

You should be able to find some recent used versions of these for reasonable prices. If you're thinking about new, there are several Martin dealers that do super discounts - 40% off MSRP, which is excellent... let me know if you need more info.
OK. Thanks to both of you. I'm not an expert on these things so let me get you for more.  Mahogany I think. A little more open and woodier, right? And do you know how the sizes of Larrivee models match up with Martins (or Guilds) I can look it up but if you know right off.
I have a 000-60 Larrivee and an OM. And yes Mikey you can PM me with stores that I can count on getting 40% off MSRP. Then I'll need to look at scale length. Are these models all a shorter scale length or do they make standard and short. Thanks a bunch.

I like the OM21 but it's a rosewood. I don't own one but I've played several and they're quite comfortable. Not a short scale, though.
CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY SIZE: 000-14 Fret
TOP: Solid Sitka Spruce
ROSETTE: Style 28
TOP BRACING PATTERN: Standard ''X'' Scalloped
TOP BRACES: Solid Sitka Spruce 1/4''
BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
BACK PURFLING: Style 18
SIDE MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
ENDPIECE: Tortoise Color - Brown
ENDPIECE INLAY: none
BINDING: Tortoise Color - Brown
TOP INLAY STYLE: none
SIDE INLAY: none
BACK INLAY: none
NECK MATERIAL: Select Hardwood
NECK SHAPE: Modified Low Oval Profile w/ Performing Artist Taper
NUT MATERIAL: Bone
HEADSTOCK: Solid/Square Taper
HEADPLATE: Solid East Indian Rosewood
HEELCAP: Solid East Indian Rosewood
FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
SCALE LENGTH: 25.4''
# OF FRETS CLEAR: 14
# OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1-3/4''
I have a CEO-7 which is smaller than an OM, similar to a Nick Lucas, short scale, bigger than a parlor, very comfortable, Adirondack top, mahogany back and sides.
If you can find one, it sounds just like what you're looking for.

I wasn't sure about adding to this but....

Have recent experience with a Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset. (spruce top, mahogany back and sides, all solid wood)
I had it in my house for like 38 hours, liked it a LOT and was going to keep it, set it up, get a pickup installed and then the wife said she didn't like the sound of it, cause it did not have the richness of my Larrivees, and so I took it to Guitar Tex (San Antonio) along with an older Ovation bass to wrangle a trade on an OM-03 MH (was looking at the Simple 6 OM at that time).
The 000-17 is an OM body (same as a Larrivee OM), short scale, 14 fret join, in two colors... whiskey sunset (burst) and black. The neck feels almost exactly like a Larrivee 1.75 neck. It has a VERY thin satin open pore finish (may be a bit much too open pore), and weighs way under 4 pounds. Mine had Martin Retros on it from the factory, and had the factory set up, and was basically "like new". It was stupid easy to play even with the high factory action. It sounded great unamplified as well as with a Baggs M1 passive in it temporarily.
The dealer price on it is 155x.00, and the 000-17E with fishman pickup is 175x.00.
Guitar Tex has that 000-17 trade in for 1198.00. I have no financial interest, since my deal is done.
Guitar Tex also has a video of a 000-17E which sold right away, you can look at it on their Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/bexarfrets/ ... you gotta scroll down a bit to find it.
Guitar Tex probably has 30 Martins in stock. I don't even like Martins anymore, but I was going to keep the 000-17. I am better off with the OM-03 tho.
If you contact Guitar Tex (guitartex.com) you can say you heard from the guy who traded the 000-17, they know me, and they know the story I just told you. Talk to Mark.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Thanks for info!

I played two "standard" versions and one cutaway of the Martin 000 Jr. they were very nice. Solid woods, 24" scale, 1 3/4 nut . . .

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/junior/000jr-10/

In "Martin-speak" - in their Standard Series (18, 28, 35, 41, 42, 45 style), 0, 00, and 000 are short scale (24.9") and OM is long scale (25.4").

In their other series, like the all hog 15 series, the 000 and 00 are long scale. Not sure about the 17 series guitars mentioned above.

Older 16 series were all long scale, but some of the new models in the 10, 12, 13, etc. series may be short scale for the 00 and 000 models. Check Martin's website, but also know that sometimes their website gets these stats wrong, too...

Some dealers that will give 40% off MSRP on Martins if you call or e-mail and ask for it (they can't advertise it on their websites, so you'll see standard MAP prices there) are My Favorite Guitars in Phoenix, AZ area, Maury's Music (I think in the Philly area), and Reno's music in Indiana (somewhere); Google is your friend! 

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

I know were you can get a Larrivee 00V03? :whistling:

PS If I had money it would be mine!!!!!!
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I bought two Larrivees and two Martins from Trinity Guitars including a short scale 000 12 fret that I ordered from the Custom Shop with Jim and Bill's help. Trinity had made several 0-18 models from the custom shop using the specs from Bill's 0-18 built in the 50s.

I could have found a standard model for less money but never one as nice as the one I ordered which is a combination of a 000-18 and a D-35S with a few tweaks to make it a bit smaller.

Three piece mahogany back and sides with Sitka spruce top
12 fret slotted head stock with gold Grover tuners, old style decal and 24.9 scale
Scalloped bracing
Herringbone trim on top, 18 style appointments on body and fret markers
Tortoise binding on body, neck, heel cap, endpiece,  pick guard and bridge pins
Custom case

Custom inlays, exotic wood choices and unusual specs, drive up the design time, cost and the build time. Since I didn't vary too much from the standard models available and just combined what I thought were the best features of the 000 and D35S, I paid about $600 more through the Custom Shop. In return I got a unique guitar that I can pass along to my son.   

On a related note, I ordered my Larrivee 12 string in 2005 using the L03 model as a base to work from. I added a Venetian cutaway, mahogany top, bone nut and saddle, plus Jim installed an LR Baggs pickup. It arrived with an arch top case which was an unexpected surprise. I played both guitars for several hours this weekend.

Quote from: teh on November 04, 2019, 05:32:09 AM

Three piece mahogany back and sides with Sitka spruce top
12 fret slotted head stock with gold Grover tuners, old style decal and 24.9 scale
Scalloped bracing
Herringbone trim on top, 18 style appointments on body and fret markers
Tortoise binding on body, neck, heel cap, endpiece,  pick guard and bridge pins
Custom case

What - no pics???   :rolleye:

Quote from: teh on November 04, 2019, 05:32:09 AM
I bought two Larrivees and two Martins from Trinity Guitars including a short scale 000 12 fret that I ordered from the Custom Shop with Jim and Bill's help. Trinity had made several 0-18 models from the custom shop using the specs from Bill's 0-18 built in the 50s.

Sounds very nice. And I guess you weee lucky because they're out of business now I believe.

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on October 29, 2019, 03:36:39 PM
I know were you can get a Larrivee 00V03? :whistling:
Of what do you speak?

It was one of the special order I think for LA Music.It belonged to Koamon.Has a cut-a-way and now has has some sort of Fishman pu in it and sounds great plugged in and unplugged.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Hey, how bad could it be? I play my 1975 D-35 most of the time these days. One of the reasons I don't post here as often as I used to? Nah.
But the D-35 is just plain awesome. Martin makes the odd great guitar. Who knew? :beer 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 05, 2019, 03:47:20 PM

But the D-35 is just plain awesome. Martin makes the odd great guitar. Who knew? :beer 

:roll

Quote from: fongie on November 12, 2019, 12:25:16 AM
2014 + Martin 000-18..........money well spent.

:+1:

See if you can get to try one of the 00-16 Deep Body Women and Music series. A very underrated series of guitars.
I've just sold a 00-16 DBFM to buy my Larry P-09. I never would have sold it if I could afford the P-09 as well.
Give one a try, You'll get a surprise.
Roger