NGD OM-03

Started by Treenewt, June 16, 2019, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 01, 2019, 09:57:51 PM
Yep - gotta experiment and try new things/strings... I'm not a fan of the D'Addario NB strings, however I like the Martin Monel Retros (which are a DIFFERENT metal formulation, even though they may look the same). YMMV, IMHE, etc.

I have a set of Retro Laurence Jubers waiting in the wings! If these don't warm up soon, those will be given a chance! Thanks Mikey!

Quote from: Blind Dog on July 02, 2019, 03:52:28 AM
I'm likely going to include an Ivoroid end pin with my next Larrivée order. I went for the Ivoroid/gold tuners, and a "Vintage" strap with the "Strap Tie-Off". Liked the strap (& t-o) well enough I'll be ordering another set. Tuners took ten minutes to swap, and only a week to ship to Canada. Nothing wrong with the originals, I just can't leave stuff alone.

I don't have a pickup, but I like John Pearse PB 'Slightly Light' strings on my mahogany. I finger pick, with just nail, almost exclusively.

Enjoyed your recording, thanks, Maybelle was one of the very first to play guitar so as to catch my ear--sixty years ago Wildwood Flower made quite an impression. (Blame her Mom.)

:donut2 :donut :coffee :donut :donut2

Edit: And can I ask, where you got that capo, please?

Thanks Blind Dog! Glad you enjoyed it! I've always loved John pearse strings, but they die too quickly for me. I can only get about a week of play before the tone goes far south.  I love them for that week though!

The Capo is a G7th Heritage capo. You can order it directly from the company and add engraving. My wife bought that one for me two Christmases ago. It's not cheap, but it's by far my favorite capo I've owned.
Treenewt

Thanks, they're sure not priced as stocking-stuffers, but they could be a nice "Grumpy" or "Blind Dog" middle-school, grad', present. I'm glad the grandkids are spaced evenly, age-wise.

Tip of the hat, to Mrs. Treenewt. Sounds like a keeper. 

Cheers  :cheers
'05 Larrivée OM-03 bear claw
'08 Larrivée OM-03R
'13 Kronbauer TDK 285 koa custom
'19 Gnome Blues 00 EIR & T13 redwood
'94 Froggy Bottom koa custom dread'
'84 K. Yairi 377
'78 S. Yairi 726
circa 1905 Vega parlor
Stella 60's parlor with painted fret markers/ply'
'94 ('97) '62 reissue Saudi/Vegas/Nashville Tele'
'79 Epi Genesis DC thru

Quote from: Blind Dog on July 02, 2019, 02:52:41 PM
Thanks, they're sure not priced as stocking-stuffers, but they could be a nice "Grumpy" or "Blind Dog" middle-school, grad', present. I'm glad the grandkids are spaced evenly, age-wise.

Tip of the hat, to Mrs. Treenewt. Sounds like a keeper. 

Cheers  :cheers

She is a keeper for sure!
Treenewt

Well, sometimes you just have to be patient.

While I'm still not sold 100% on the NB for this guitar, they sound better tonight than they have so far: warmer and not tinny. They're still not as good as the PB's that we're on her, but they're getting better.
Treenewt

After a brief foray into Martin Retros on the OM, I strung up a set of EXP 17 on her today, and YES!!! That's the tone I fell in love with originally! They just work on this guitar!  :nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar
Treenewt

Treenewt,

Just listened to your sound bite with the 03 and it sounded really nice.  Had one like that and if I could play it that way might have kept it.  Still looking for lv03r to play before I buy  but no hurry.  Thanks for a pleasant 3 minutes.

john

Quote from: jnidoh on August 07, 2019, 04:22:44 PM
Treenewt,

Just listened to your sound bite with the 03 and it sounded really nice.  Had one like that and if I could play it that way might have kept it.  Still looking for lv03r to play before I buy  but no hurry.  Thanks for a pleasant 3 minutes.

john

Thanks John! I really appreciate the kind words. I'm loving this guitar! I too would love an LV-03r, or the forthcoming Tommy E special!
Treenewt

Congrats! My OM-03 MT is my all time favorite go-to guitar, excellent choice! BTW, fantastic pics!!!

Cheers,

SS
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Quote from: musicrowscott on August 31, 2019, 09:13:11 AM
Congrats! My OM-03 MT is my all time favorite go-to guitar, excellent choice! BTW, fantastic pics!!!

Cheers,

SS

Thanks Scott! I'm really enjoying this one! I played an all mahogany 12 feet Larrivee a few years ago that was stellar! I'm sure you're a is the same. I've often thought of getting a 000 or 00 in all mahogany from Larri. That would be an awesome thing to have!
Treenewt