Martin D-35S

Started by lkjjr, May 27, 2019, 12:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the years I shared a bit on this forum about my experience with owning/playing/loving my old D-35S.  Several of you had expressed interest in the guitar and shared your experience/enthusiasm for the 12 fret slope shouldered dreads.

I recently made a video of about my D-35S. It includes the story of how I came to acquire it unexpectedly, touches on a brief bit of dreadnought history, and includes some sound "samples" too.  Also the video was made for a more general audience that may not be as dedicated as most forum members are here. Still, I thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing my story with this great guitar.  Maybe bring back some memories of your own...

BTW, I'm thinking of doing a similar video about my LV05e with the theme that Larrivees are the "unsung" jewel of acoustics.  Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions about that too.

An uncommon dreadnought?
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

That was very nicely done - very professional (nice editing, photos, etc.). I really enjoyed that (yes - watched the whole thing). Thanks!

Looking forward to one about your Larrivee, too.  :thumb

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks for the kind words Mikey, I'm just starting to "daydream" the Larrivee video...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

You're welcome.

BTW, I was very late to the Martin fold - but my first Martin was a 2015 D-35/50th Anniversary Standard. Very nice guitar - beautiful Sitka top, nice tone. However, last year I got a J-40 that just had more of everything than that particular D-35 - even though the J-40 was brand new! I ended up selling the D-35.

I currently have 5 Martins, but two will be on Reverb soon. I have a Custom Shop J-18 that sounds very good as well (but the J-40 is still king of the hill). My other Martin keeper (for now) is a recently acquired Model America 1 (dreadnought like a D-18, but with Adirondack top, Sycamore b&s, Cherry neck and Walnut fingerboard and bridge).

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Beauties...
All makers have their strengths and weaknesses to be sure, and Martin has plenty of critics, but there is still something special about the Martin "mystique."  And when you get one that's right you remember why there's often something special about them.

That being said, and from my somewhat limited perspective, Larrivees take a back seat to no one.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Just an update to this old thread. After some unfortunate delays, finally got up the Larrivee guitar video mentioned above...

Larrivee: the "unsung" jewel of acoustic guitars
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S