New Larrivee L-03E has a back bow?

Started by Pathfinder, March 18, 2018, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, I understand this guitar has a one way truss rod. So does that mean I cannot fix it? Bow is easy to see. Not sure what strings were on it when I bought it but I changed to Elixir lights 12- 53. Have not touched anything. So I guess it's been 2 weeks of ownership maybe?
Maybe the elixirs have lower tension than the old ones that were on it. But 12-53 is very common, in my world anyway.

What are mt y options as in this stinks big time. Most of you probably read all my questions and doubts. But this is, well not good I assume.

Thanks for any help
Frank aka Pathfinder

What year is it?I'm not sure when they converted to a dual action.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Well the build start date is JAn 2016. Was supposedly new when I bought it in March of 2018? So I cannot be sure. Larrivee gave me the date and explanation but NO specific date.

Got your message. Optics can be deceiving. Start by taking a ruler and laying the edge along the fret board to confirm that it's back bowing (it will rock back and forth).  Try loosening the truss rod if you haven't. Don't do more than half a turn at a time and give it an hour to settle in. Let us know where it stands at that point.
Also, where's your humidity sitting at?
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 18, 2018, 03:17:10 PM
Got your message. Optics can be deceiving. Start by taking a ruler and laying the edge along the fret board to confirm that it's back bowing (it will rock back and forth).  Try loosening the truss rod if you haven't. Don't do more than half a turn at a time and give it an hour to settle in. Let us know where it stands at that point.
Also, where's your humidity sitting at?

Just got back. I'll try that in a little bit. But it;s definitely bowed I did lay a straight edge on it first thing. Humidity is Florida in an a\c house. Not bad and I have humidifier in the case and I keep it wet.

Thanks for the quick reply my friend
Frank

Could be too humid. Be a good idea to get a hygrometer.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Humidity in the case is a tricky thing. Be sure to measure the humidity in the room, and then only humidify the case if the room gets below 35% or so. Otherwise, it's easy to over humidify, especially in FL.  I bought a Larrivee from St Pete's that had all sorts of damage from being in too humid an environment.

By the way, re-reading the first post, I wanted to add that even a single way truss rod still allows you to get some bow because they typically start out with some tension on them. Mahogany is a great neck material and unlikely to just warp in the opposite direction of the pull. You can probably remove some back bow on the single action rod.

I had one Larrivee that have me trouble because it would back bow if I used 12's and tuned down half a step. But, that was a jumbo. An L should be fine with 12's, no matter the tuning.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

So  we are saying Counter clockwise a tad?
I have always adjusted all my Strats and Teles but of course different truss rod system.

Just want to add, so I am feeling that a one way truss acoustic is not the greatest thing to have in Florida.

Most quality acoustic guitars or any I would buy anyway have nice mahogany necks. To not be able to put lighter strings on the guitar is plain silly to me. But I guess that's one of the uses of a bi flex or 2 way truss rod system.

BTW: I am NOT knocking Larrivees I am talking about any one way truss system. I am trying real hard to like this guitar but it is a tough battle. I am not giving up, just saying!

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 18, 2018, 05:56:43 PM
So  we are saying Counter clockwise a tad?
I have always adjusted all my Strats and Teles but of course different truss rod system.

Just want to add, so I am feeling that a one way truss acoustic is not the greatest thing to have in Florida.

Most quality acoustic guitars or any I would buy anyway have nice mahogany necks. To not be able to put lighter strings on the guitar is plain silly to me. But I guess that's one of the uses of a bi flex or 2 way truss rod system.

BTW: I am NOT knocking Larrivees I am talking about any one way truss system. I am trying real hard to like this guitar but it is a tough battle. I am not giving up, just saying!

Frank,  a one way truss rod works great on an acoustic guitar just about anywhere.  Do you have the wrench?  Please take it to a qualified tech, this ain't no Fender electric guitar...
George

Well finding the truss rod hole was an experience top say the least. I did get a short CCW rurn and now the neck seems perfectly flat. I'll let it settle for the night. String are too close fretting the 2nd fret. Hit very lightly no issues, But any sort of "dynamics and it buzzes, omly on the G string it seems.
George, I appreciate your help, that's why I PM'd you.

But I shouldn't need a tech with a (supposedly) brand new guitar. I am going to call Larrivee tomorrow. See if I can get a "warranty tech near me. I know some great techs, well 2 anyway. But they freelance,. no stores etc. Primo techs though. So no chance of warranty work with them.
I also am going to contact the guy I bought it from. It's time he stepped up. Small town or not................

That should be a dual action rod.By the way I string with 14-58's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Really? Hmmm? OK. That would be perfect.I'll ask Larrivee tomorrow when I call. I can do that myself but..........Also, in my initial week here (beginning of March? I mentioned the saddle was leaning a bit to forward, I thought. They sent me a new saddle and told me to try it.  See if it's a better fit. Haven't tried it yet, didn't get it before I put the elixir 12-53's on. See if it's a better fit. So I think I will definitely ask for a warranty repair whatever. It has the full factory warranty from March 1st, 2018.

Thanks Man
Frank

So...  Double action rods turn backward from normal rods?  Because every guitar I own in clockwise to tighten.

Quote from: AZLiberty on March 19, 2018, 02:59:49 AM
So...  Double action rods turn backward from normal rods?  Because every guitar I own in clockwise to tighten.

why would you say that? every double , two way, bi flex, whatever you want to call it truss rod I have encountered in 40 years is CW to tighten and CCW to loosed.

I am not talking Larrivee, I am talking guitars. Clockwise tightens  so you can add relief to the neck. Counter clockwise, Loosening, the truss rod will let the strings bear the tension and will add relief. Is that wrong?

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 19, 2018, 12:34:11 PM
why would you say that? every double , two way, bi flex, whatever you want to call it truss rod I have encountered in 40 years is CW to tighten and CCW to loosed.

This is correct.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

So I called Larrivee but they say don't leave a message, they log the calls, etc. That's cool. So I emailed again and expect to hear from them soon. They have been super responsive and friendly since I bought the guitar.

I will post back with findings and their response.
Thanks to those here who replied to help........

So confirmed by Larrivee, Ys it is a 2 way Truss................Which is Good!

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 19, 2018, 12:34:11 PM

Because this entire thread says the opposite... (maybe my reading comprehension is failing)

Which is why I was asking.

CW = tighter = less relief
CCW = looser = more relief

Quote from: AZLiberty on March 20, 2018, 09:29:01 PM
Because this entire thread says the opposite... (maybe my reading comprehension is failing)

Which is why I was asking.

CW = tighter = less relief
CCW = looser = more relief

Well if was guilty of that, sorry. then I just swapped the unswappable. Don't think I did. But, I can make mistakes, I have been tightening truss rods to flatten out the neck, for like 40 years. Electrics mostly. That's how I like my guitars. I have a very light touch. But my Takamine also. Loosening of course to add relief.

About the OT, I have taken the buzz and back bow OUT of the neck. Just a slight little nudge with the truss rod tool. No buzz but pretty darn flat...................