Thoughts on swamp ash for Larrivee acoustics

Started by Cmt, January 14, 2018, 08:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone have any experience with any of the swamp ash Larrivee acoustics? How does swamp ash compare with rosewood and mahogany? Do you think it's a good tone wood. I am interested in a P-03 with swamp ash back and sides and I was wondering what you thought.

The one I played was as light as a feather.  They do not compromise on volume nor tone... great tonewood IMHO.
George

Why not? Jean could make a guitar out of papier mache that would sound great. It's the top that really matters, after all. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 15, 2018, 08:52:27 AM
Why not? Jean could make a guitar out of papier mache that would sound great. It's the top that really matters, after all. 
Truth. 90% of the tonewood sound comes from the top. From what I understand, swamp ash is not that dense/reflective and will give you a more dry tone. Often the type of thing one wants in a small guitar. I know that my ash electrics are not as heavy in overtones but I've never played it in an acoustic.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on January 15, 2018, 07:39:54 PM
Truth. 90% of the tonewood sound comes from the top. From what I understand, swamp ash is not that dense/reflective and will give you a more dry tone. Often the type of thing one wants in a small guitar. I know that my ash electrics are not as heavy in overtones but I've never played it in an acoustic.

I've made plenty of posts about the merits of Swamp Ash. My brother wanted one so I tried a bunch out and was amazed by the sound; HUGE bottom end with Martin like clarity on the top end. I believe the bracing is like a 40 series. I compared a swamp ash D-03 to a Martin D-28 and, to be honest, the Larrivee had the more robust sound for several thousand dollars less. And I love the Martin 28 series. Anyhow, I'm convinced swamp ash is one of the better tone woods out there and would jump at an OM version. I'm betting the Parlour version would have a pretty good bottom end and a more "suppressed" midrange than Mahogany or Rosewood. Needless to say, I told my brother he can't sell the swamp ash guitar to anyone but me.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 15, 2018, 08:52:27 AM

Torres, father of the modern Spanish guitar, did exactly that, and proved your point.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I am playing the Larrivee OM-03 swamp ash since late 2013. It is an excellent sounding guitar. You get a dry tone with more bottom end than hog. Tonewise it is in between hog and rosewood in my opinion. It is excellent for singer songwriting, too.

Kind regards, Olaf

If anyone is looking for swamp ash I've got lots.. in tree form. Had to have ~20 removed in the past few years because of Emerald Ash borer infestation. Still have lots left ..make an offer. Interesting thread didn't know that Ash was used in guitar construction.
Rob
L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical

There's a YouTube video on a swamp ash do3
Xlnt sounding guitar!
David