Anyone here play a carbon fiber guitar?

Started by RandyB, October 29, 2017, 04:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 05, 2017, 12:27:39 AM
Just for kicks, this is what I have built and sitting in the shopping cart (hey, it only takes money, right?):

Looks very nice Rev.  Do they have a narrow nut option in their build app?
George

Quote from: George on November 05, 2017, 07:23:27 AM
Looks very nice Rev.  Do they have a narrow nut option in their build app?

Yes, they have a very extensive custom shop... But I'm not sure how pricey some of those options would be. You can contact them from their website and find out. They respond pretty quickly during the work week (remember the time difference if you're in the US/Canada).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have a Rainsong shorty that I really like. It has a flat finish, so there was a bit of a scratchy sound when it was strummed  hard, so I put a small, shaped, clear pickguard on and it solved the problem. I love the short scale and om size, and the sound is very sweet, particularly with elixir 80-20 lights. Its great for those frozen days in winter, and the boiling hot humid summer days, and also the now and thens. It has a great case but also fits perfectly in a classical guitar gig bag, so it fits the grab and go very perfectly. Great electronics too (Fishman). Real nice customer service over in Woodinvale, Washington as well!

Quote from: AZLiberty on October 30, 2017, 01:22:02 AM
Um, maybe.  ;-)

How does the Rainsong compare to the Larrivee OM? Could you post a finger picking comparison video or soundcloud audio clip?
Proud owner of a freakin' awesome Larrivée OM40-R
Looking for another awesome Larrivée to keep it company!

Quote from: RandyB on November 10, 2017, 10:05:26 AM

How does the Rainsong compare to the Larrivee OM? Could you post a finger picking comparison video or soundcloud audio clip?

I can try to do that when I am back in town.  Can fingerpick the Rainsong, my OM-03R, and my wife;s OM-03

Quote from: RandyB on November 10, 2017, 10:05:26 AM

So, Randy, are you still looking at these (the Emeralds)?  I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one (on ordering one, I should say - may take them several months to get it built).

Quote from: AZLiberty on November 11, 2017, 09:43:21 PM
I can try to do that when I am back in town.  Can fingerpick the Rainsong, my OM-03R, and my wife;s OM-03

Waiting, waiting...

:humour:

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have a Rainsong shorty full gloss. That was my first carbon guitar. Its a beautiful guitar. Its the guitar that travels with me. I have a larrivee
om -04 Bloodwood and an omv-60. I like them all. My most recent addition an Emerald x-20 Woody with a Korelian Burl top in green. The veneer top is not considered to affect the guitar tone but it sure does make the guitar an individual. I think that has been where carbon guitars have been missing out. As far as the x20 it sounds as nice as it looks but its not wood. There are a lot of good choices out there now in carbon guitars. My choices have been good for me and I will keep both.               

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 15, 2017, 11:50:52 AM
Waiting, waiting...

No proper mic, so this will probably sound pretty compressed:

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/3-guitars-sound-samples

Two Larrivee OM's and a Rainsong.   All have PB strings, but different brands and ages.

Mike get a bone saddle the graphit one s**k's
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: AZLiberty on November 15, 2017, 09:22:54 PM
No proper mic, so this will probably sound pretty compressed:

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/3-guitars-sound-samples

Two Larrivee OM's and a Rainsong.   All have PB strings, but different brands and ages.

Nice little demo.  They all sound nice, just slightly different.  I didn't detect any significant difference in the sound or vibe of the Rainsong compared to the other two all-wood guitars.  If I had to pick my favorite tone of the 3, I would chose the OM-03.   
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar