Hello and need string recommendations

Started by Kerry Brown, October 05, 2017, 09:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello

I'm new to the forum. I recently traded for a L-10-12 made in Victoria. I'm in love with this guitar. I don't think I've ever played a 12 string that was easier to play than this one. It has a nice low action with no buzz. I'm looking for recommendations as to which strings and gauge to use. It has light strings on it now and needs new strings. The sound is very full but it could be a touch louder with a little more bottom end. At some point in it's life someone added a Fishman sound hole pickup which sounds great. My playing is about 50/50 acoustic/plugged in. I haven't owned a 12 string in over 30 years so I'm I'm a bit lost as to what works on 12 string guitars. I don't want to use strings that are too heavy and may cause problems but I would like to get a bit more volume. Thanks in advance.

:wave

I use Elixer 10-47 on my 12 string Seagul mostly because I hate changing strings on it.Nice full sound and really long lasting.Has good bass responce.I've used Elixers on an L09 koa 12 string and a OM03 12 string.I keep it in standard pitch.

:gotdonuts:

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I just got my first 12-string in many years, too and I'm wondering the same thing. I'd mostly like a little more beef from the low E string(s). I might stick with the gauges Rob recommended and get a 50-53 for the low E. But I'm also going to see what other 12-string sets are available.

P.S. Mine's a made in Japan Takamine.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hi Kerry. Welcome to the forum.
A lot of folks tune their 12-strings down a 1/2 step to reduce string tension.
This would also give you more low end you say you're looking for.
Then if you need to be in concert pitch/standard tuning you can capo up. without increasing the tension.

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 05, 2017, 12:36:00 PM
Six twelve new ones.

Tom, you crack me up!

Give Kenny a break... he's new around here and we want him to stick around!

Kenny - I forgot to say "Welcome and congrats on a very cool Larrivee!"

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:welcome:,  :nice guitar:. You might try the D'Addario  NB's they've got them in different gauges, I have an L-10 six string and I really like them on it. I'm still trying different strings on it, as it's relatively new to me. I also have a Guild 12 string, all mahogany dread, I'm about to switch it to Martin Retros because they sound great on my Adi/Mahogany dread.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

I'd say Pearse light phosphor bronze, but DAddario would be fine.  And actually, for a 12 string, 80/20 might be bette4 than  PB.

Quote from: Walkerman on October 05, 2017, 11:45:03 AM
D'adderio lights.  PBs

:+1:  I have used the 10 - 50 D'addario PBs on my 1985 L-40 12 string since I got it 7 years ago.  I keep it tuned to standard pitch all the time.  Haven't tried mediums on it so I don't know if it would improve the bottom end.  I would be a little more concerned about the higher string tension, so I prefer to err on the cautious side; especially since I want to keep it at standard pitch.  Plus, I like the way mine sounds now anyways.

12-strings, in general, sound a bit more jangly and less bassey in any case.  I think it's because the octave strings compete and/or combine with and somewhat mask the pure tones of their lower string companions.

I say, enjoy that unique 12-string vibe for what it is.  Play some early Byrds tunes on it plugged in and it will all be good.

Welcome to the forum KERRY, from a Canadian member.

Kurt in Edmonton, Alberta

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: eded on October 05, 2017, 09:35:45 PM
I'd say Pearse light phosphor bronze, but DAddario would be fine.  And actually, for a 12 string, 80/20 might be bette4 than  PB.

The 80/20s are theoretically brighter than the more mellow Phosphor Bronze.  My thought was the PBs might produce more bass.  We don't know what string formulation Kerry is using now.  All we know is they are light gauge.  So it's hard to recommend which way to go from there for more bottom end.

Maybe Kerry can shed some light on that.

I bought some strings at the local shop. It's a small town. They only had one set of strings for a 12 string, D'Addario EZ940 85/15 Bronze, .010-.050. They made a huge difference. The guitar is much louder and bass response is a little better. I'm a very happy camper. Thanks everyone.

:nice guitar:

Glad you found a good sounding set!  Depending on how long the old set was on the guitar, just having a new set of strings can do wonders for a guitar.

Ed

Quote from: Kerry Brown on October 06, 2017, 01:39:47 PM
Here's a picture of the guitar.
So... I  looked at the picture of your guitar.
It is one of the most beautiful Larrivees I have ever seen.
After a minute or so, I found myself disoriented with the disquieting beauty.
Thinking... "this is one of the beautiful guitars I have ever seen", I sort of passed out mentally.
When I came back unto myself, the computer had gone to "save power" mode which saved me from looking upon your guitar again.
I am grateful. You are so lucky.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on October 06, 2017, 07:47:43 PM
So... I  looked at the picture of your guitar.
It is one of the most beautiful Larrivees I have ever seen.
After a minute or so, I found myself disoriented with the disquieting beauty.
Thinking... "this is one of the beautiful guitars I have ever seen", I sort of passed out mentally.
When I came back unto myself, the computer had gone to "save power" mode which saved me from looking upon your guitar again.
I am grateful. You are so lucky.
Mike

:+1: Fantastic looking guitar.  Sounds like the new strings made a big improvement.  You have a very rare and desirable guitar there.  Hang on to it.
:gotdonuts:

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 05, 2017, 04:11:48 PM
Tom, you crack me up!

Give Kenny a break... he's new around here and we want him to stick around!

Kenny - I forgot to say "Welcome and congrats on a very cool Larrivee!"

I didn't think it was and it was not meant to be rude and, after all these years of reading these threads, it is my usual recommendation, give or take six.  :D 

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 05, 2017, 10:11:03 PM
The 80/20s are theoretically brighter than the more mellow Phosphor Bronze.  My thought was the PBs might produce more bass.  We don't know what string formulation Kerry is using now.  All we know is they are light gauge.  So it's hard to recommend which way to go from there for more bottom end.

The old strings were what was on the guitar when I got it. They were pretty dead. They were D'Addario's of some kind. I'm guessing Phosphor/Bronze 10-47's. Whenever I get a new guitar I play the strings that are on it for a while (unless they are unplayable) to get a feel for the guitar before I change the strings. Going to the 10-50 set was serendipitous. They were the only 12 string set I could find in the small town where I live. So far I really like them.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 05, 2017, 10:11:03 PM

I think (though I have no real data to back it up), 80/20 (or 85/15) give more definition.  By separating out the individual notes, there can be more of a perception of those notes.  But there's also the fact that every guitar is different.  For the way I play, most guitars sound best with PB, but now and then I have had guitars that sounded better with 80/20.  My usual response to a thread like this is to suggest getting several sets (materials and weights) from webstrings.com.  They are cheap, sound good, but don't last long.  For a 6 string, it's not so bad changing strings every few days.  I'm not as willing to do that with a 12 string.

Ed

Sent the serial number off to Larrivee. It is an L-42 model built in the winter of 1981.