Help Assess my D03R TOP CRACK !! Any luthiers out there?

Started by nataliesilva, September 23, 2017, 12:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arizona is tougher on guitars than Texas, as I unfortunately know.

Done carefully, a top crack repair can be almost invisible.  Here is a pic of one on my D-03R-12 that was repaired around 15 years ago.

You can see the repaired crack just to the side of the center seam on the other side of the bridge.

Yeah that doesn't look bad at all, especially after 15 yrs.  Yep after my guitar cracked in Texas, we moved out to Arizona and I think it was like an uphill battle trying to rehydrate there. 

So here is my finished result.  Haha somewhat the same.  But not worse and it has been glued. 
I pressed Gorilla wood glue(already had it on hand) into the crack with my finger while applying upward pressure from the interior.  Then sort of created some extra clamping pressure on the sides by shoving it in it's case with some extra material to make it real snug.  Looks okay to me.  Took 10 minutes. 

I never, ever, use gorilla glue. Titebond would be invisible when done right.

Just my view.

Yeah I think at the top it looks pretty seamless(kinda blurry on my pic-cameras.) but at the bottom the crack was more coarse so thats kind of protruding, not actually the glue.  But you may be right. 

Gorilla glue expands as well, this making the crack worse. Or at least preventing the closing up tightly.

Sorry, you just said gorilla glue. So I thought it was the original. Gorilla wood glue is still not what I'd use, but it must be decent wood glue.
  But It's a different formula than Titebond.

Just read the info provided on your link.  Seems like the Gorilla Wood Glue is much like the other PVA glues and such as Tite-Bond etc.  and should work as well as any of them.  If it dries to a tan color, that is even better.

I've been using Lee Valley's 2002 GF Cabinet Makers glue for several years.  It has an open time of 15 to 20 minutes and clamping time of 30 to 90 minutes.  It dries to a dark tan color.  I like it's viscosity which is a little tackier than tite bond and others as it has a higher solids content.  The parts stay together quite well before you get the clamps on.  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45104&cat=1,110,42965,45104

We sell it at Lee Valley Tools, where I work.  A bonus for me is I get it at a discount.  Many local cabinet makers, furniture builders, and wood craftsmen prefer it over other PVA glues.

Congrats on doing the repair yourself.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

hmmm... yeh when it works it works!  this gorilla wood glue is kind of light tan in color when it dries.  i used it on another wood project, worked good on that too.. 20-30 minutes clamp time.  24 hour set.