Fingerstyle on a custom l-09 (Italian/madagascar)

Started by Dustinfurlow, August 28, 2017, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received this build this past February after an endorsement agreement with John Jr. and after probably 70-100 gigs it has really begun to open up. I can't wait to hear how it sounds in a year or 10. This guitar means an immense amount to me as I've owned probably 6-8 l-bodies and this one has a special shimmer and feel in my hands I've grown to appreciate more with each gig. I hope to pass it on to my future son, Dylan, (or Delilah!) hence getting DF engraved at the 12th fret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0XoNSdp6s

Normally prefer medium gauge strings on this guitar for sheer power but threw on some lights and it just sang to a gentle touch...had to do a video :) This arrangement is based on Martin Tallstrom's, I highly recommend looking him up, he's a A1 player reminiscent of Tommy Emmanuel but a little less flashy.

Hope everyones having a great Monday

-DF
CS-09 (Mastergrade Sitka/Ziricote)

My album "Woodscapes" and others available at www.dustinfurlow/shop

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCw7w0i3AF8xTuN6iYB-gCkw

Nicely done. Guitar sounds very warm and balanced.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Man, we can tell you really "feel it" when you play...  that is the most important thing too...    :bowdown:
George

Lovely look to that 09.  Thanks for sharing and for the song.  Not a song I'd imagine an acoustic guitar cover for but you adapted it very well.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Great job Dustin!  I love Martin's work and am working on several of his songs.  How do you expect your new L to differ from this one?

Hey bud, my past experience with a walnut l-09 was that it had a very "woody", strong, dark sound to t but minus the overtones and "thud" of rosewood. Hoping this will translate to a more efficient live guitar, easier to eq. :)

Quote from: Dustinfurlow on August 28, 2017, 02:09:57 PM

This guitar means an immense amount to me as I've owned probably 6-8 L-bodies and this one has a special shimmer and feel in my hands I've grown to appreciate more with each gig.

You've had the chance to play and compare quite a few L's...so you know when you've got something extra special.

The '79 L-19 I picked up this year has been blowing me away. There is so much power (yet control) from string to string - it's just mind blowing every time I play it. The low E is very balanced - different from a Martin dread.

I played this thing in front of an Audio Technica AT2035 mic last night plugged into my old Fender Acoustasonic Jr. amp - with a tweak on the mic's low end switch and the amps phase switch, I eliminated all feedback issues and the guitar sounded wonderful without any tones overdriving the mic.  Reinforces that these L bodies are wonderful to record.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Mikey, thats awesome man, I sincerely miss my '79 l-body I bought off a fellow forum member. I actually dug the tone, sustain and "opened up" sound of it more than any other Larrivee I've played...my old studio engineer thought it had just the right amount of overtones as well. if it wasn't for the nut width being skinnier than I preferred id have held onto it. Miss it very much.

How does that silver oak sound on your c-10? I'm very curious about that tone wood as Jean spoke very highly of it and only a small batch were made it seems.

Df