Larrivee does electrics again

Started by Walkerman, August 27, 2017, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean told me they plan to start up electric production again.  Beginning of 2018 if all goes well.  Save your shekels.

Quote from: Walkerman on August 27, 2017, 07:53:58 PM
Jean told me they plan to start up electric production again.  Beginning of 2018 if all goes well.  Save your shekels.

:thumbsup  :nana_guitar  :cop:
George

Quote from: Walkerman on August 27, 2017, 07:53:58 PM

Should we assume they're going to pick up with the three models that are (still) shown on the website? Thanks for being our source of "inside baseball"!

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 28, 2017, 11:31:06 AM
Should we assume they're going to pick up with the three models that are (still) shown on the website? Thanks for being our source of "inside baseball"!

:donut :coffee

That I cannot say, because Jean told me and the electrics are Matty's babies.  I will have to talk to him to get the skinny.

Quote from: Walkerman on August 28, 2017, 04:53:46 PM
That I cannot say, because Jean told me and the electrics are Matty's babies.  I will have to talk to him to get the skinny.

Cool - can't wait.   :thumbsup

This is GREAT news!
RS-4 Forum V Mini's,

Im with you fellers. Thats all im aloud to say

It is just my opinion, but I believe we have seen the end of Larrivee set-neck electric guitars.  I ordered a custom RS4 that took a long time to build and I was told by my dealer that Matthew was personally involved with each one and I think it just ate up too much time to be effective long term.  Therefore, the bolt-on neck models appeared and I wouldn't take for my Malibu.  Don't get me wrong, I own and love 4 RS models and, also in my opinion, I believe they are the best electric guitar ever built (inclusive of both P90 and Humbucker models).  Anyway, I am thrilled to see the return of any Larrivee electric guitar models though.
George

Quote from: George on August 30, 2017, 07:37:41 PM
It is just my opinion, but I believe we have seen the end of Larrivee set-neck electric guitars.  I ordered a custom RS4 that took a long time to build and I was told by my dealer that Matthew was personally involved with each one and I think it just ate up too much time to be effective long term.  Therefore, the bolt-on neck models appeared and I wouldn't take for my Malibu.  Don't get me wrong, I own and love 4 RS models and, also in my opinion, I believe they are the best electric guitar ever built (inclusive of both P90 and Humbucker models).  Anyway, I am thrilled to see the return of any Larrivee electric guitar models though.

I don't see any significant advantage to a set-neck electric guitar other than it is traditional for some companies and therefore copied by others.  It makes those guitars more expensive to build which makes them more expensive to buy.  In my experience (with electrics), how the neck is attached has little influence on how the guitar ultimately sounds.  Leo Fender figured that out a long time ago.  I have restored and set up few Les Paul and SG MIJ copies with bolt-on necks and they sounded and played just as well as the guitars they were copies of.  The bonus was that the neck angle, in both directions, could be easily adjusted with shims and/or sandpaper.  My guess is a Les Paul Standard or an RS-4 with everything the same in terms of body and neck wood, only with a bolt on neck attachment instead of the glued-on, would sound and sustain in a way that would not be distinguishable in a blind test.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on August 31, 2017, 03:10:16 AM
I don't see any significant advantage to a set-neck electric guitar other than it is traditional for some companies and therefore copied by others.  It makes those guitars more expensive to build which makes them more expensive to buy.  In my experience (with electrics), how the neck is attached has little influence on how the guitar ultimately sounds.  Leo Fender figured that out a long time ago.  I have restored and set up few Les Paul and SG MIJ copies with bolt-on necks and they sounded and played just as well as the guitars they were copies of.  The bonus was that the neck angle, in both directions, could be easily adjusted with shims and/or sandpaper.  My guess is a Les Paul Standard or an RS-4 with everything the same in terms of body and neck wood, only with a bolt on neck attachment instead of the glued-on, would sound and sustain in a way that would not be distinguishable in a blind test.

I certainly don't disagree Kurt, I have a Godin bolt-on that sustains forever...  My set-neck point only reinforces yours that they are more expensive to build which probably makes them less sustainable for Larrivee.  My bolt-on Malibu sounds great, just not the same as the RS's do....
George

Quote from: George on August 31, 2017, 07:52:48 AM

I certainly don't disagree Kurt, I have a Godin bolt-on that sustains forever...  My set-neck point only reinforces yours that they are more expensive to build which probably makes them less sustainable for Larrivee. 

My bolt-on Malibu sounds great, just not the same as the RS's do....

We can discuss this till the cows come home, but I would agree and say that the difference between a Malibu with 2 humbuckers and an RS-4 isn't so much the method of neck attachment, it's the different woods used for the body and neck of each guitar...

...now - where are those new Larrivee electrics?!  :smile:

Not too many fully bedecked RS-4s for sale in the used market.

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 31, 2017, 03:47:39 PM
We can discuss this till the cows come home, but I would agree and say that the difference between a Malibu with 2 humbuckers and an RS-4 isn't so much the method of neck attachment, it's the different woods used for the body and neck of each guitar...

...now - where are those new Larrivee electrics?!  :smile:

I don't disagree with any of your comments either Rev!  All true!
George

In such a crowded guitar industry, certainly with electrics, and imports, I might be inclined to think the Larrivee brand folks have had to learn a few difficult lessons.

Those of us who have the early runs of the RS4's will always attest to the fact that they just don't make guitars that good, anywhere.
The cost to the brand, after all the R & D, and marketing, i suspect was much larger than the reality of sales- thus the discontinuation.
(and we all know why that is)

Like a few others around here, i am fortunate enough to have a couple or more of Larrivee's best efforts ( to date) which i play on stage regularly.
No I didn't care for the Malibu, and it didn't make the stage or studio cut for me.

yes my old tele cannot be replaced or duplicated, no matter how hard they try, just is.
My original eighties LS2's and RS4's (strat style) I feel are better that the newer versions (but that's just me).

Larrivee has made it's mark on the guitar world not only by having it's own ideas- but showing others, solid wood guitars , of high quality- made in North America, are as good, and better than their competitors.

If/when they venture into the electric market again, i would expect nothing less from them this time around.

but, hey thats just my 32 cents, (50 cents canadian)
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

If I just knew this a few weeks earlier... after a long time of searching for a Baker t and not founding one, I spend my money on a F..... customshop tele.
Highquality build guitar for sure but when I make a comparison between the F tele and the Larrivee rs4... Well the Larrivée has the same qualities.
2018 they say. Gives me 5 months to save my €.
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on September 03, 2017, 05:42:10 PM
If I just knew this a few weeks earlier... after a long time of searching for a Baker t and not founding one, I spend my money on a F..... customshop tele.
Highquality build guitar for sure but when I make a comparison between the F tele and the Larrivee rs4... Well the Larrivée has the same qualities.
2018 they say. Gives me 5 months to save my €.
Well I compared my Bakersfield with my Fender Custom Shop Tele - and everyone without headstock envy (some who had) agreed the Larrivee was a nicer guitar
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: headsup on September 02, 2017, 11:33:22 PM

In such a crowded guitar industry, certainly with electrics, and imports, I might be inclined to think the Larrivee brand folks have had to learn a few difficult lessons.

The guitar market is very soft right now, and many folks don't think it's going to get better any time soon - based on real demographics and market trends.

So, yes - it's a tough time for Larrivee to jump back in. I only hope I can support them when they do (assuming they build something I'm interested in - but that's never been a problem before with their electrics).

I'm looking at a listing for a Lancaster in shoreline gold on reverb.

It has the older original style larrivee lines (from the eighties) that I quite like (sets them apart from Strat clones)

I then went to look at images of the lLncaster, and because the way google works, I saw my old one, fairly close to a newer one
( natural finish with ebony board SSH configuration).

Basically the only visual difference would be the head stock.
The similarities are the body shape, and on mine Jean designed and wound the pick-ups, but on the newer model I believe Matt did that work.

Of course the older ones go for as little as $350 USD, but I'm totally OK with playing them, as I have a few, probably for the better.... :cop:
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on September 05, 2017, 09:49:23 AM

I'm looking at a listing for a Lancaster in shoreline gold on reverb.

It has the older original style larrivee lines (from the eighties) that I quite like (sets them apart from Strat clones)

Very much agree with you on this. I much prefer the non-strat profile of the older ones (and the first run of these before they went to the "stratoclone" body).

But, sadly, guitar players are too conservative to buy these and appreciate them as something unique and of high quality.

What would we call this one from 1983  :bgrin:

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)