Bone Bridge Pins

Started by bignote, June 08, 2017, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,
  As you know, a few months back I picked up a like new OM-5.  However, the first owner had installed wooden bridge pins.  I have never really believed all the talk about pins making a difference but I took a chance.  I order some bone pins from Bob Colossi.  OH MY GOD!  Night and day difference.  much more volume and balls.  Can I say balls?  I am not really good at describing the nuance of tone but they really are a vast improvement over the wooden pins to my ears.  If you don't have bone pins, give em' a try.  You never know.  I am now a believer.
It only hurts when your not in tune!

Ebony bridge pins made my Larrivée Parlor sound as dull as ditchwater - in fact I might as well have been playing it underwater. I was shocked at the time. As soon as I put back the stock plastic pins, all was well again. I have since changed them for Tusq pins (posh plastic really) and think there is a slight improvement - very subtle, but I'm convinced I can hear it.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Not unlike the "best strings" debate, the entire concept of what materials actually change the sound of a guitar before the strings cross the saddle, or after they cross the top nut is always an enjoyable;e discussion.

some folks ( me included) might suggest ebony tuner pegs (replacing the steel ones) make a difference,
many suggest bone, ivory or other bridge pins also change the sound.

any folks out there with scientific information around what actually happened ( if anything) pre saddle, post top nut vibrations?

I "thought" swapping steel tuner buttons for ebony changed the sound.
but did it?
dunno, they look nice but.......

any real proof from anyone one, most appreciated.

also, "tone-rite" ( I have one)
some say "bollucks", others say "you bet it makes a difference"

rage on debaters, we just do what we do, and sometimes it works....
sorta, kinda.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on June 11, 2017, 01:29:32 AM
Not unlike the "best strings" debate, the entire concept of what materials actually change the sound of a guitar before the strings cross the saddle, or after they cross the top nut is always an enjoyable;e discussion.

some folks ( me included) might suggest ebony tuner pegs (replacing the steel ones) make a difference,
many suggest bone, ivory or other bridge pins also change the sound.

any folks out there with scientific information around what actually happened ( if anything) pre saddle, post top nut vibrations?

I "thought" swapping steel tuner buttons for ebony changed the sound.
but did it?
dunno, they look nice but.......

any real proof from anyone one, most appreciated.

also, "tone-rite" ( I have one)
some say "bollucks", others say "you bet it makes a difference"

rage on debaters, we just do what we do, and sometimes it works....
sorta, kinda.....

Nothing "scientific" here, just a theory, but my theory is that it is mass that makes the difference...  significantly change the mass at any given point on a guitar, and you'll change the vibrations.  The difference between wood and metal tuner knobs is pretty significant.  You hold the guitar different, plus the damping effect on the end of the neck is different.  The same goes for bridge pins...  there is a difference between the mass of wood and bone, or bone and brass...  and to my ear, a difference in tone.  Not so much of a difference in mass (or tone, to my ear) between say, bone and plastic.

I'm sure someone will explain how I've gotten that way off...  lol!

Ed

Quote from: eded on June 11, 2017, 07:27:51 AM

Nothing "scientific" here, just a theory, but my theory is that it is mass that makes the difference...  significantly change the mass at any given point on a guitar, and you'll change the vibrations.  The difference between wood and metal tuner knobs is pretty significant.  You hold the guitar different, plus the damping effect on the end of the neck is different.  The same goes for bridge pins...  there is a difference between the mass of wood and bone, or bone and brass...  and to my ear, a difference in tone.  Not so much of a difference in mass (or tone, to my ear) between say, bone and plastic.

I'm sure someone will explain how I've gotten that way off...  lol!

Ed

That's true. Headstock mass can alter the resonant frequency of the guitar. Much in the way a drum is tuned to a frequency, guitars have a frequency at which they resonate.  Bass players sometimes have issues with nulls at the note which happens to also be the resonant frequency of the guitar and there's a product that adds headstock mass to alter it.  This year, I returned a several thousand dollar acoustic because the null at the resonant frequency drove me nuts. All guitars have it, it's just a matter if you hear it or not.  So, anyway, your theory is in fact very scientific.

As far as bride pins go, I personally think fit is the biggest factor (poor fit seems to dampen vibration, IMO), and mass can definitely contribute.  Some guitars seem to be affected by pin changes while others don't. I usually just make sure the pins fit well and are the look I want but the saddle is infinitely more important to tone for me.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on June 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM

As far as bride pins go, I personally think fit is the biggest factor (poor fit seems to dampen vibration, IMO), and mass can definitely contribute.  Some guitars seem to be affected by pin changes while others don't. I usually just make sure the pins fit well and are the look I want but the saddle is infinitely more important to tone for me.

I agree totally that any changes, not just bridge pins, depend entirely on the guitar.  String selection and gauge, bridge pins, nut/saddle adjustments, proper setup, tuning machines, use or not of a tonerite, altering mass, etc.  Some may have a profound impact and some may have none at all...  Just my two cents from my own experiences...
George

I think properly seating the string ball end against the pin also affects tone.  JMHO

As the loveable Sherman T Potter was apt to say "horse hockey" I am so glad I am unable to hear minor tone variances.
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Quote from: Walkerman on June 12, 2017, 11:56:21 AM
I think properly seating the string ball end against the pin also affects tone.  JMHO

An old friend used to say, "Everything is a tone control".

Actually, he's still a friend, and he still says it.

Ed

Quote from: Walkerman on June 12, 2017, 07:56:41 PM
Poter was just an actor who spewed out what the writers told him to say.

What? No way!
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ