Help me choose guitar to complement my OM – 03

Started by df1k1, May 17, 2017, 07:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: markj on May 18, 2017, 04:04:54 PM
Do it!  Get the 50th Anniversary model. I did. I am never getting rid of it.  :guitar :beer :donut :donut2 :coffee

:cop:    No way! I just googled it. What a beautiful fantastic looking guitar!  I said I had a few bucks but yikes 7 g is pretty steep! But what in amazing instrument. Do you really have it? How  does it play? Talk me into it!

Quote from: markj on May 18, 2017, 06:26:57 PM
This guitar with a custom mahogany top. The "custom part" of adding a Mahogany top will cost you an additional $150.00 MSRP.

http://www.larrivee.com/products/00-40

Got it thanks

Thanks for everyones feedback. In a day and a half I got  more valid comments then I could have spending three days surfing the net. In a nut shell I need to look at:

Larrivee LS. Possible cut away. Rosewood back and sides will change tone from what I have.   
Or Martin 000-18. Or Larrivee 000-40
12 fret or mahogany topped OM
Larrivee 00 or any Taylor 12 fret grand concert
50th anniversary Lv-10 (so far that is my favorite. Cannot believe the craftsmanship on that guitar. But man what a price)
00-40 legacy with mahogany top

Quote from: df1k1 on May 18, 2017, 06:56:15 PM
Thanks for everyones feedback. In a day and a half I got  more valid comments then I could have spending three days surfing the net. In a nut shell I need to look at:

Larrivee LS. Possible cut away. Rosewood back and sides will change tone from what I have.   
Or Martin 000-18. Or Larrivee 000-40
12 fret or mahogany topped OM
Larrivee 00 or any Taylor 12 fret grand concert
50th anniversary Lv-10 (so far that is my favorite. Cannot believe the craftsmanship on that guitar. But man what a price)
00-40 legacy with mahogany top

You can kill two birds with one stone by just looking at the 000-40 because it is a 12 fretter.  Sooooo comfortable to play and such a rich tone and volume with the newer bracing.  I'm pretty sure that the 40 series has blown many people away.

Quote from: df1k1 on May 18, 2017, 06:37:42 PM

:cop:    No way! I just googled it. What a beautiful fantastic looking guitar!  I said I had a few bucks but yikes 7 g is pretty steep! But what in amazing instrument. Do you really have it? How  does it play? Talk me into it!

Well, you don't have to pay 7g. Here is #1 of 50 listed on Reverb for $5,623.50.

https://reverb.com/item/5211135-larrivee-lv-10-50th-anniversary-model-number-1-of-50

Yes, I really have it. #2 of 50. I am already getting ready to change the factory strings out with another set that Larrivee sent me with an order from the Accessories store.

It is such a joy to play and to hear others play. The tone is so rich and full yet completely balanced. The dynamic range and headroom are second to none, and the projection is better than any guitar I have heard.

Just DO IT!   You will love it.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

So ... you want another guitar that just sits on the couch and says nice things about your OM-03? Oh wait ... complement!  :guitar  

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 19, 2017, 06:09:19 AM
So ... you want another guitar that just sits on the couch and says nice things about your OM-03? Oh wait ... complement!  :guitar  

:beer pretty much!

Quote from: markj on May 18, 2017, 08:48:53 PM
Well, you don't have to pay 7g. Here is #1 of 50 listed on Reverb for $5,623.50.

https://reverb.com/item/5211135-larrivee-lv-10-50th-anniversary-model-number-1-of-50

Yes, I really have it. #2 of 50. I am already getting ready to change the factory strings out with another set that Larrivee sent me with an order from the Accessories store.

It is such a joy to play and to hear others play. The tone is so rich and full yet completely balanced. The dynamic range and headroom are second to none, and the projection is better than any guitar I have heard.

Just DO IT!   You will love it.

Thanks for the info. I am really blown away by the looks of that guitar. Fortunately I have a very understanding wife who probably would not bust my chops too badly about it. It's definitely on the radar

Quote from: df1k1 on May 19, 2017, 08:32:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I am really blown away by the looks of that guitar. Fortunately I have a very understanding wife who probably would not bust my chops too badly about it. It's definitely on the radar

You have a very understanding (or intimidated) wife!  I would no longer be married if I did that - and not because she would divorce me either! She'd just go ahead and kill me! 

:humour:  NOT.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 19, 2017, 03:05:41 PM
You have a very understanding (or intimidated) wife!  I would no longer be married if I did that - and not because she would divorce me either! She'd just go ahead and kill me! 

:humour:  NOT.

There you go.  Ya gotta sleep sometime.  I'm such a heavy sleeper that my wife of 31 years, this July 12, could easily put a pillow over my face and just quietly send me off to nappy land forever.  Fortunately, she's a benevolent dictator, far better than I deserve and indulges my few hobbies and enjoyments as long as I don't go insanely crazy - meaning as long as I keep it within since our budget.  I couldn't ask for more.

Quote from: df1k1 on May 19, 2017, 08:32:59 AM

It plays and sounds as good as it looks too!

As I reach to open the case and play it before I head to sleep...  :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on May 20, 2017, 12:09:47 AM
It plays and sounds as good as it looks too!

As I reach to open the case and play it before I head to sleep...  :guitar

Enabler!!!

Thanks for the replies.  After playing a number of Martin's and Taylor's and some other as well I'm pretty set on the Taylor  814CE.  I love the sound from the guitar, the aesthetics and the playability. That's very important to me  But like I mentioned originally I really want to look at a Larrive as I love everything about my OM-03. So which one would be closest to the 814? LV-09?  The 10?  Something else? ( I think deep down I'm hoping someone can convince me to pull the trigger on the LV-10  50th anniversary!)  :bgrin:

Taylors are nice. The 814 is especially nice. I would not want one with built in electronics. Built-in obsolescence is not something I want in an acoustic guitar.

That being said, they are everywhere!

Be yourself!  Be unique!  1 of 50!   Get the LV-10 50th Anniversary.  :cheers
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

#1 is "on sale" on Reverb.

Save an additional 15% Father's Day Sale Discount Code: DADSROCK at checkout.

Your price delivered is now $4,779.97 or there about.  :winkin:

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on May 27, 2017, 07:48:32 PM
Taylors are nice. The 814 is especially nice. I would not want one with built in electronics. Built-in obsolescence is not something I want in an acoustic guitar.

Mark, help me understand the obsolescence comment.  I have a 414ce that I won in a drawing, and after getting an issue with string spacing resolved at the nut, I'm starting to prefer playing it over my L-03, partially due to the better 'plugged in' sound when playing out, than my L-03 with a mini pure western pup installed. The other reason I'm reaching for this guitar rather than my L-03, is that I'm usually a 2nd acoustic player in the band, when I'm not playing electric, bass or keys; and I will capo high normally between 5th and 7th frets, to have a broader acoustic sound overall with the main acoustic player.  The cutaway makes executing that with some melody stuff a little easier.  Acoustic unamplified sound-wise, it's pretty interesting how close the Taylor sounds to my L-03.  In a double blind recording situation, I'm guessing most couldn't say which was which, nor that there would be a strong preference for either sound.
o
This one has the exp 2 system in it, which my understanding is a piezo element, that is mounted NEXT to the saddle, not underneath of the saddle, and there are 3 cams in the tailpiece that can be turned to apply more or less pressure to the piezo element.  There's also a rather large cavity cut into the endpin location to accomodate a 9V battery, that is a unique shape.  I've often wondered if those battery holders, which appear unique to Taylor, will be always available.  Is this the obsolescence you are talking about?  I don't think that if the system goes south it renders the guitar obsolete, but it does have holes in the body that might not be useful any longer (3 holes for the controls, battery holder hole, cam holes in the bridge) that will just be there doing nothing.

I don't think it obsoletes the guitar, but just makes it not as 'pristine'.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Electronics go obsolete. That's a fact of life. How long it takes, varies by device and industry, but they all go obsolete. Especially proprietary electronics. As long as it works, and the manufacturer stands behind it and supports it with parts, updates, and repair availability, it will not be "obsolete". Once they drop support for it, it's done.

I might end up with a Taylor someday. I know they make wonderful guitars and I would be proud to own one. Especially an 8, or 9 series! ;) But, I would not own one with holes cut in it for knobs and batteries. That's just me and my stubborn opinion.

I hear good things about how well the Exp2 system works in a live situation but, again, I don't want holes in any of my guitar for such things. I will probably just go the M80 soundhole pickup route for my acoustics. You don't have to drill or cut anything, and it can be removed without leaving any evidence that it was there. I haven't decided what I am going to do when we start to play live. I think because we are just an acoustic duo, we will just mic the guitars.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Electronics is like everything else on a guitar, mostly a lot of personal preference.  For example, I absolutely despise Takamine electronics even on their pro models.  They always sound harsh to me...
George

Yes, electronics keep "improving" at the pace of many other modern technologies, rendering holes in guitars obsolete and, therefore, ugly reminders of old technology.

I want to try one of these soon - this may be the future of acoustic amplification (as the technology - of course - improves):

iRig Acoustic pickup

I have an iRig Acoustic. I have tried it a couple of times on an amp and a PA.

Sounds great to my ear. I will probably use it live soon.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI