guitar humidor

Started by webberink, March 14, 2017, 06:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am going to build me a couple of guitar humidors to solve my access, humidity and display needs.  I am thinking to smething similar to the ones acoustic remedy builds.  Believing in not reinventing the wheel, anybody done this before and do you have plans.
(hey mod, go ahead and move this, just tell me/us where)
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

FWIW, I planned this all out twice and was about to buy the lumber but ultimately realized that room humidification is a far superior solution.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I tend to agree.

Of course I have to keep the house at optimal humidity levels due to two acoustic pianos being in the music room. The music room is not isolated or closed off from the rest of the house so I run two 3,500 sqft rated evaporation, "wick type" humidifiers as well as a built in "Dampp Chasher" on the grand piano and individual case and sound hole humidifiers for the guitars. The guitars can hang on the wall all year if I want. I tend to keep them about 50% of the time in their cases and 50% hanging on the wall.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

In the Cariboo region of the central interior of BC, in the winter, with wood heat, whole house humidity control is not an option.  So it's into the cases for humidity control every winter which is a royal pain in the -CENSORED- for me ... hence a humidor with tempered glass doors, LED warm glo light, and digital read out hygrometer with some kind of early warning system. Yep, that's what I want to build.  Bowie. can I see the plans you never used.
Dave

Quote from: webberink on March 16, 2017, 03:17:11 PM
In the Cariboo region of the central interior of BC, in the winter, with wood heat, whole house humidity control is not an option.  So it's into the cases for humidity control every winter which is a royal pain in the -CENSORED- for me ... hence a humidor with tempered glass doors, LED warm glo light, and digital read out hygrometer with some kind of early warning system. Yep, that's what I want to build.  Bowie. can I see the plans you never used.
Dave

Hi Dave, I don't think I hung onto the plans but if you have any questions, feel free to ask as I did a lot of research. Spanish cedar is great for its moisture retention. Mahogany is also good. They will help if your system fails or humidity drops for some reason (just seal the outside of course).
While I understand that whole house humidification might not be feasible, consider a single room. Here in AZ, whole house would be quite a task as the AC runs 10 months out of the year. But, single room has worked extremely well for me and the benefits on my skin and respiration have been a huge bonus.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I would do the same if I lived there.

Looking forward to seeing progress photos and the final result!
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Huh? I got censored for using the biblical word for donkey?  I am a retired Presbyterian minister and I never got censored for using that word before ... Anyway thanks for your comeback Bowie and Mark.  I hear you.  I can sort of do the single room humidity thing in summer but not in the winter, at least not to the level I feel comfortable with. It's the wood heat.  Anyway, this also has to do with access and display for me.  A lighted humidor(s) sounds like a good answer.  Besides, I like messing around with wood.  I love the smell of Spanish cedar and I like the idea of it insulation and humidity retention properties.  It would be my first choice but its not too available where I am.  Last year I built a deck, a canoe shed and a greenhouse out of some wonderful local western red cedar.  In a past life I was a Forester, and if I recall my wood tech training correctly western red cedar also has these qualities.  I have lots of it left over so I was thinking of using it, lined with some nice crushed or quilted velvet in say black, navy or deep blue ... like the inside of a fine hard shell case.  I am also trying to figure if I should go with single instrument floor mounted cabinets or wall mounted a multi instrument cabinet.
Any Thoughts
Dave 

I haven't heard of a guitar humidor before.  Is it like a cigar humidor on a grand scale?  Is your objective to keep your guitars properly humidified?  If so, then a guitar-room properly humidified seems like an easier solution (as suggested by Bowie).  You mention being able to display them.  I can't wrap my head around that.  Is it that you want to be able to keep them properly humidified but also in a cabinet with glass doors so you can see them at all times or show them off to visitors to your home?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Yep, humidity control as well as display and access.  I first saw one some time ago in an add for Acoustic Remedy in the Acoustic Guitar mag. I am tired of squirreling my wonderful guitars away where I can't easily see them or access them or show them off all winter long.
David  

Quote from: webberink on March 17, 2017, 11:23:11 AM
Yep, humidity control as well as display and access.  I first saw one some time ago in an add for Acoustic Remedy in the Acoustic Guitar remedy. I( am tired of squirreling my wonderful guitars away where I can't see them or access them or show them off all winter long.
David 

Cool.  Sorry I can't offer any help, but look forward to seeing pics of the results.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar