1998 D03 Craig's List Score.

Started by Caleb, January 24, 2017, 10:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged this very good condition D03 for a whopping $400!  Didn't really need it but couldn't pass up such a deal.  

Guitar appears to have never really been played, but just kept in its case.  The top is very light, I'd call it blonde almost (pic makes it look darker than it is). There are some unusual grain patterns on the lower bouts.  Kind of cool.  I gave it a thorough cleanup and oiled the thirsty fretboard. It sounds pretty green, but it's very loud.  Just needs some miles put on it to round out its sound and help it develop more character.

Thought I'd share my good news; I'm very pleased.

Awesome find!

:nice guitar:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Congrats!  Nice find.  Great deals are always so satisfying.  I had a couple similar finds when I was checking the newly listed Larrivees on eBay several times a day.  I had to stop doing that last year after collecting several.   :blush:  Still, every time I pull out the 12 string I tell the wife, "Best $400 I ever spent!"

Yea, the top has some character. Wonderful thing about wood guitars. Each has their own look.  Enjoy her!  :nana_guitar
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Nice find, enjoy it! It is a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:nice guitar:

NICE PRICE!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 25, 2017, 10:03:12 AM
Nice deal! A bit of a steal! 
My thoughts too.  The guy had it listed for 475.  As a sort of long shot I offered him 400 and he took it.  Wish now I'd have offered him 300.   :wave

Quote from: Caleb on January 25, 2017, 11:30:27 AM

Wish now I'd have offered him 300.   :wave

That's what we always think... but let it go and just enjoy it!  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

That guitar might have one of the Engelmann tops they used on some runs back in '98.  I had one, and it had that distinctive yellowish hue, as opposed to sitka, which usually gets more amber.   LV-03/sitka on left. OM-03/Engelmann on right. 

D-02E

Congratulations,  nice find.  The D- 02 model I have is almost the same as a D-03. Mine sounds really good.

Quote from: JohnM2001 on January 26, 2017, 10:00:46 PM
That guitar might have one of the Engelmann tops they used on some runs back in '98.  I had one, and it had that distinctive yellowish hue, as opposed to sitka, which usually gets more amber.   LV-03/sitka on left. OM-03/Engelmann on right. 

I bet you are right about the Engelman. It doesn't look at all like my Sitka-topped D03BW.  My Collings mandolin has Engelman on top, but it's covered with a burst job so I can't compare it with the new-to-me Larrivee.

Great find at a nice price.  That's one you can leave out on a guitar stand or on the wall for quick access when you feel like noodling.

What strings will you be putting on it? 11's, 12's ?

At $400 you could put 13's on it, use it for slide guitar.

🍩🍩🍩

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Engelmann is whitish, Italian yellowish, Sitka orangish.

Quote from: Crocefan4life on January 28, 2017, 12:50:04 AM
Great find at a nice price.  That's one you can leave out on a guitar stand or on the wall for quick access when you feel like noodling.

What strings will you be putting on it? 11's, 12's ?

At $400 you could put 13's on it, use it for slide guitar.

🍩🍩🍩

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I put on some D'Addario mediums and tuned it down a whole step.  That's how I keep my other guitar.  It seems to like the setup and respond well to it.

Very nice find and price!   Congrats!
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE