People are wondering if the Larrivee Forum is dead

Started by ryler, March 01, 2016, 05:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 02, 2016, 12:58:31 PM
:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut
I would offer a friendly and humbly made observation/question, made in all sincerity and camaraderie, towards my fellow and esteemed member nctom. The modest comment thus offered is: "What insider comments?" Is there something I should know about, and possibly feel left out because of, that I am unaware of? Would the awareness of this thing, unknown to me at this time, be something I am better off not knowing about?

Also, "insider information", I think our "for sale" section is great insider information, as I have bought two guitars that way.
Forever grateful,
Mike
L-05

Oh they didn't tell you? When you hit 250 posts you get the secret code book and after 500 learn the handshake. When I hit 10,000 I'm hoping for balloons.

Heh...  I referred to a CA guitar as a plastic guitar.  Someone at AGF disagreed with me, so they banned me.  Screw 'em.

There is something to be said about how this (or any forum) becomes a private club for a small core group.  My opinion on the donuts should be plenty well known by now.  

The fact that it is so much easier to communicate on other (newer) sites like Facebook makes it tough to convince new users to put up with the interface on these old forums.  I remember CompuServe and AOL, not to mention Usenet and pre-Internet BBS dial ups.  I wouldn't go back to any of them, and in fact there have been forums I've seen and been a little interested in (electric guitars, synthesizers, etc.) that I won't sign up for because I don't need new relics in my life.  Not a dig on this group.  I like it here.  

Ed

My comments about the Forum weren't necessarily meant as criticism, just as fact as I view it. I am 64, no spring chicken either. I'm currently a member of this group as well as the UMGF and the AGF and I understand the differences. The responses from the membership the Larrivee Forum seem often to cross the lines of camaraderie is all I was pointing out.

Quote from: nctom on March 02, 2016, 04:32:42 PM
My comments about the Forum weren't necessarily meant as criticism, just as fact as I view it. I am 64, no spring chicken either. I'm currently a member of this group as well as the UMGF and the AGF and I understand the differences. The responses from the membership the Larrivee Forum seem often to cross the lines of camaraderie is all I was pointing out.
]I'd like to think that was a complement.  :cheers  No closed group that I'm aware of. Yes some are more familiar than others due to their participation. Hard to avoid that and why would one propose it. Heck all ya gotta do around here is be civil and leave the politics and religion at the door. One doesn't even need to own(ed) a Larrivee. Sorry you feel a negative by familiarity but really don't know how to make things better for you  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I tried to get into Harmony Central once.  They let me read, but I could not post.  It was a great informational place to go on any topic you might want to know about, but not very friendly.  I agree that a lot of us are older, and most likely quieter sometimes, but we are all very sincere and appreciate the purpose and camaraderie of this forum.  I have joined and been welcomed to participate since day one, even by the long time members.  All new members have the same opportunities.  True, the participation in some of our traditional themes, like GOTM, has fallen way off, but where else can you go and get/give advice, guitar lessons, listen to music, discuss technique, buy or sell, or participate in any other number of meaningful topics... and most especially just enjoy being a Larrivee addict in the Loonie bin...

I think Tom should be thanked for being honest about what he feels here...
George

As for me and myself....  I love this forum  :+1: ...  It's my favorite guitar forum....   nice folks, interesting info and most of us love Larrivee's....  what's not to like????

I check the forum 6+ times a day....  I like the forum as it is....  I do like to see new members join and try to encourage their continued participation....

and I'm grateful for the mods who rein us in when we get our feathers flustered....   and I've been a little loonie all 69 years of my life...    :arrow   

I think Forums shouldn't be held accountable for one man's screw ups..........

Quote from: eded on March 02, 2016, 02:08:21 PM
Heh...  I referred to a CA guitar as a plastic guitar.  Someone at AGF disagreed with me, so they banned me.      

Ed

It wonder if you had said they're high quality plastic held together with carbon fiber fabric, might have made a difference? No matter, I'd like to own one some day
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on March 03, 2016, 12:55:02 AM
It wonder if you had said they're high quality plastic held together with carbon fiber fabric, might have made a difference? No matter, I'd like to own one some day

I had a Cargo for a short time and an Emerald X5 ( I think).  Neither worked for me sound wise.  Rainsong seems to have the right formula, though I've only tried them 5 min at a time in shops. 

Ed

Quote from: Strings4Him on March 03, 2016, 09:49:56 AM
Dead?  I didn't even know it was sick :)

Or like Frank Zappa said about jazz.....    It's not dead, it just smells funny!

I apologize, that was me who asked the question over on the AGF lol.  I see it's alive and well.  I just remember visiting here about 8-10 years ago and there were new posts and threads popping up like CRAZY.  Plus it was super easy/quick to buy, sell and trade on the classified section.

Quote from: homesteader on March 03, 2016, 02:00:03 PM
I apologize, that was me who asked the question over on the AGF lol.  I see it's alive and well.  I just remember visiting here about 8-10 years ago and there were new posts and threads popping up like CRAZY.  Plus it was super easy/quick to buy, sell and trade on the classified section.
Well you may have did us a favor. Things can get stale and a little cold water in the face does the job.

Quote from: dependan on March 03, 2016, 02:04:12 PM
Well you may have did us a favor. Things can get stale and a little cold water in the face does the job.

They closed the thread I made over on the AGF about this place being dead.  I'm sorry if it offended anyone, but to close that thread...well...they seem to be sensitive folk over there.

Quote from: homesteader on March 03, 2016, 02:07:41 PM
They closed the thread I made over on the AGF about this place being dead.  I'm sorry if it offended anyone, but to close that thread...well...they seem to be sensitive folk over there.

I don't think they like you to mention any other guitar forum.....   :wacko:

We take things with a grain of salt here, thanks for the apology.

Quote from: homesteader on March 03, 2016, 02:07:41 PM
"There is a quiet policy on the AGF of not discussing and not promoting other forums. Thanks for understanding.

Steve
AGF Moderator"

I didn't see any thing in the rules about that??

But I guess this says it all.
"THE FINE PRINT

We reserve the right to modify, remove, or add any rule to this site with or without notice to members. It is a member's responsibility to read and abide by all community rules." 

So I guess they just make stuff up as it suits them, whatever.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 03, 2016, 04:15:59 PM
"There is a quiet policy on the AGF of not discussing and not promoting other forums. Thanks for understanding.

Steve
AGF Moderator"

I didn't see any thing in the rules about that??

But I guess this says it all.
"THE FINE PRINT

We reserve the right to modify, remove, or add any rule to this site with or without notice to members. It is a member's responsibility to read and abide by all community rules." 

So I guess they just make stuff up as it suits them, whatever.

That was what I found...  and the mods were vindictive.  If you disagreed on something, you were put on a hit list.  Little things that everyone else did and got away with were major offenses if you were on the list.

I think it also says somewhere in the rules there that the mods are gods.  Once they decide, it is written in stone. 

Like I said earlier, screw 'em.

Ed

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." - Tom Waits

I'm an on again/off again member of one other guitar forum and it's very odd for anyone to talk about guitars. Not stringently moderated, lots of politics and it can get a little nasty but there's some very good people that I like to keep in touch with. This place is very friendly compared to any other one I've visited.   

I belong to three forums. This is usually the first one I open and I find it easy to view and edit my posts if I typed to fast. I don't often start new threads and my comments to other threads are rarely responded to but I don't take that personally.

I know of at least five Larrivees plus my 12 string that were purchased in part because I told people to check out this forum. I also think the moderators here do a great job of keeping civility and maintaining the high road which can often be a lonely stretch of highway because it's much easier for others to float along in the gutter.

Between my son and me, we own 7 different brands of guitar plus two different banjos, a mandolin and a dulcimer so we have most of the bases covered. I have two Larrivees and will buy another one when the mood strikes me and the right one jumps out at me. Probably walnut or Koa.