8 Top Microphone Myths Exposed - Source: Shure Blog

Started by ST, February 04, 2015, 01:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8 Top Microphone Myths Exposed

Some of the information is specific to Shure microphones but I thought this might be of general interest to all of us who use microphones, Shure and others.

ST

Quote from: Queequeg on February 04, 2015, 03:07:25 PM
Excellent reading.  :thumb Thanks for posting.

:+1:

Makes you wish all technical issues could be demonstrated with SuperBowl anaogies  :bgrin:

Curious though, has anyone successfully beer-bathed an SM-58?
Funny photo after "the fragility of Shure condenser microphones is just a myth." I'd have be more convinced if he had more ink - or maybe if they'd captured some flying spittle too  :cheers

Now, I have gone to the world of condenser microphones some time ago (AKG 535).
there is no question the Shure SM58 is the standard, and it can take more abuse than ANY mic can.
Luckily for me, I've gone for a "purer" sound and don't abuse my pics like THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 14, 2015, 09:08:35 AMLuckily for me, I've gone for a "purer" sound and don't abuse my pics like THIS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI

Wooh . . . not sure what that video clarifies . . .

To Shure's credit - they've certainly held the buy-in on a reliable piece of engineering to an appropriate price range - appropriate as neither the quality or specs have changed for almost sixty years, and the price probably reflects that, especially if you're the sort of person who's likely to bathe their gear in beer or run over it with trucks . . .

If you like that approach to spec'ing out potential kit, and you're looking for mic-as-multi-tool the the Electrovoice 635A may actually prove tougher than the SM58 - plus pre-beer soaked versions may be cheaper, and it has more predictable proximity response  :winkin:

Meanwhile, if you're looking for reliable, up-to-date, and high quality, then as headsup mentions, AKG is well worth checking out. Fabulous range of microphones and the industry standard for studio headphones . . .

Interesting reading!

Quote from: skyline on February 17, 2015, 09:02:30 PM
Meanwhile, if you're looking for reliable, up-to-date, and high quality, then as headsup mentions, AKG is well worth checking out. Fabulous range of microphones and the industry standard for studio headphones.

Trying to make my first 'serious' recordings. For this, I have bought a K702 about a year ago and it indeed has as a great price/quality value. The same I can say about my Røde NT1000.
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C