Taylor 150e 12 String

Started by mas music, October 10, 2014, 04:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up an inexpensive Breedlove 12 string a few weeks ago. I made a post about what a nice 12 string this is for the money. It turns out the guitar had intonation issues. The B string was very sharp when fretted. I took it back got a full refund dropped another $250 bucks on a Taylor 150e the sweetest 12 string I've ever played under $1,500 bucks. Never played a Larrivee 12 string Im sure its a great guitar but I dont want to spend a lot of money on a secondary guitar.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Congratulations!  I've yet to see or hear anything other than stellar reviews of that guitar.  Phrases like "game changer" and "easiest playing 12 string" are frequently used in the reviews.  The YouTube and other clips sound great.
Larrivee 00-40R

Congratulations. I've sampled two so far and both were stellar.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Is that the one made with layered wood? :winkin:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I'm kind of afraid to run into one.  My 12 string is lent out (long term loan which probably means I'll never see it again), and I just don't need the temptation.

:bgrin:

Ed

Quote from: unclrob on December 04, 2014, 09:26:00 PM
Is that the one made with layered wood? :winkin:

100 series Taylors are made with solid tops and laminate back/sides.  They are a veneer of Sapele over a poplar core.  (layered is their new marketing term, but Taylor has confirmed that the center core is Poplar like the rest of the 100/200 series)

The backs are pressed/arched like some of the older Guilds, which gives them a projection somewhat different than the higher end Taylors.

Ok, so for about 8 month have been jonesing for a 12 string . I finally decide to go down to Guitar Center in Manchester, Ct to check out one of the 150e's. Ive heard nothing but positive feedback and  even though I don't have the funds right now, had to check one out.  Any ways, I get there, look around and nothing. A sales rep walks up to me and asked if he can help me find something.  I tell him I'm looking for aTaylor 150e 12 string. He goes on line and tells me that ONLY 28 stores out of 230 plus stores in the US have the model. 2 are in Manhattan,  NY and the rest (only 48) are out on the West Coast, Really!?!?! Why advertise as a major Taylor dealer and not have a guitar that from all I've hear is a sure thing. Really wanted to try one. Hope you are enjoying yours
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

My local guitar center has NEVER had one in stock yet. Georges music up the Road has sold 3 and one just came in. The local Sam Ash has sold a lot of them as well, I cant speak for Guitar Center but it seems they only stock best sellers perhaps they are waiting to see if the model is well received before ordering a bunch of them for there stores but I don't really know.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

Quote from: mas music on December 12, 2014, 02:15:47 PM
My local guitar center has NEVER had one in stock yet. Georges music up the Road has sold 3 and one just came in. The local Sam Ash has sold a lot of them as well, I cant speak for Guitar Center but it seems they only stock best sellers perhaps they are waiting to see if the model is well received before ordering a bunch of them for there stores but I don't really know.

It always blows me away how GC just answers 'no, we don't have that' when asked about a specific guitar.  Considering their network of stores, I would expect a 'no, we don't have that, but (as they check their computer) we can have it here in 3-5 days'. 

Ed

Just played one of these at the Tempe GC.

Played a Breedlove Studio 12 string, the Taylor 150, and the HPL martin X series 12 string.

The Taylor had a great easy to play neck, but I thought it was somewhat shrill and thin sounding.  Both the Martin X-series and Breedlove were much better sounding to me.  Liked the Breedlove best of the three. 

The Breedlove was $100 more than the Taylor, but they ship with a nice arch-topped hard case (might be the same vendor that makes the Larrivee cases - they look identical) while the Taylor ships with a gig bag.