Larrivee Explorer?

Started by Kazels, September 04, 2013, 10:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just saw this on eBay, a Larrivee Explorer? Could it be? I like it!

What a cool looking guitar.  Is it, in fact a Larrivee?  I can't see what's written on the headstock.  Looking at the switches and knobs, I'm wondering how it is wired and what switch/knob does what??  It's definately not configured like a Gibson Explorer in terms of electronics.  It looks to me more like a well thought out and executed "homemade" guitar.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

They don't give much of a description in the listing. This would be a good one for one of the family to chime in on. If it is a genuine Larrivee Explorer it must be quite rare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare-1980s-Larrivee-Explorer-Neck-Through-/111160383375?pt=Guitar&hash=item19e1acd78f

I don't remember many companies back then building guitars with just a wraparound bridge.Most had the tunamatic and a stop tailpiece.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Seems like this guitar popped up here a few months ago ... but I don't remember that it was ever verified that it is indeed a Larrivee.

I'm too lazy to look for the thread, but my brain remembers it...  :wacko:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 05, 2013, 11:35:56 AM
Seems like this guitar popped up here a few months ago ... but I don't remember that it was ever verified that it is indeed a Larrivee.

Mike's memory is still spot on as per the previous discussion HERE

The jury is still out with many of us doubting it's authenticity fueled by the sellers reluctance to supply more information despite attempted contacts from some members here
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Interesting a Kramer Larrivee?

I'm pretty sure its legit. the little toggles look very authentic but im pretty sure its been heavily worked on

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on September 06, 2013, 04:46:12 PM
I'm pretty sure its legit. the little toggles look very authentic but im pretty sure its been heavily worked on

Matthew,

Is it a Larrivee/Kramer prototype because of its banana headstock? The listing states that it is a neck through koa, but it doesn't look like koa.  Do you know an approximate year of manufacture?
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

I also saw the ebay listing for the Larrivee Explorer. So is it OEM Larrivee?

Maybe. But I actually have a 1983 Larrivee Explorer in red (see pics). It is also a RS-4 neck through. But see how much more "pointy" mine is in several places on the wings than the brown e-bay version? So if the one on e-bay really is a  Larrivee, then it has been sanded and altered quite a bit (perhaps because they really liked the fret board but couldn't stomach the "pointiness"?). There are other small differences. The center neck through portion on the e-bay guitar looks thinner than mine; and the black cover on the headstock is a completely different shape - although the model year/supplier might simply have been different on the two guitars.

Other note: The 1983 Pointy Explorer looks - well, it doesn't look real attractive, does it; but it actually plays very, very nicely. Those 1980's Larrivee electrics seem to have something going on.
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Quote from: madoclake on October 23, 2013, 04:18:58 PM

Those 1980's Larrivee electrics seem to have something going on.

They're LARRIVEES! Nuff said.

BTW, that red one is a  :nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992