Breaking out of a funk....

Started by CycleBob, October 27, 2013, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok ,  we've all been in one. I've been in one now for 3 years  :crying:. I do some basic finger picking,  know some scales and patterns. I want to take the next step to the next level and improve. What suggestions can you give me to move forward. Money is tight so professional lessons is not an option right now. I think being able to improvise would be one  of my choices for improvement first. Suggestions and/or advise?
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

Look for Fretboard Logic used on Amazon. Study the books, find other people to jam with, and apply the information.

Consider Power Tab (free download: tablature software) and corresponding free (Power Tab) tab files available at ultimate-guitar.com.
Thousands of tunes you know & love.

Been there...  for about the same length of time.  I just started helping out the music teacher at my sons school.  A few kids want to learn guitar and the teacher isn't a guitar guy.  It has put a guitar in my hands *with purpose* and it feels great.  Then a friend asked if I could do some stuff with her daughter.  I told her I'm not a teacher, but I could show her daughter some chords and maybe show her how to play a couple songs...  all low key. 

Ed

Like eded, I found some inspiration in teaching some to a couple of kids. I learned a lot along the way as well. One kid loved blues music so we practiced that a lot. I had never really played blues stuff so it stretched me as well.

Also, learning more on the modes helped with my improvisation.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Thanks for the advise :thumb
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Guild D140ce SB

Ever explore alternate tunings?

I've found challenge and fun in learning a song I've played the same way for years, in an alternate tuning. Presently I'm enjoying open D on my L-09 - it has a very nice sound and is very melodic.

Also DADGAD is a lot of fun for Celtic styles.

You know what Frank Zappa said on the subrect?  :nana_guitar

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 28, 2013, 10:38:51 PM
You know what Frank Zappa said on the subrect?  :nana_guitar

No....?
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Guild D140ce SB

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 29, 2013, 10:17:30 AM