LR Baggs Lyric Install

Started by longlaketech, September 26, 2013, 02:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had a LR Baggs Lyric sitting in the house for two weeks, waiting for me to make the time to do the install in my OM-40 . The install was quite straight forward. Only thinking required was positioning of the volume control, which I put on the upper soundhole brace. Not ideal, but not too far out of the way.

Plugged into my Roland AC-60, sound was very good right away. May play with the presence a bit tomorrow to reduce the 'chiminess', but overall I am very happy. There is very little feedback, which I was initially concerned about as mu OM has an enlarged soundhole. For comparison, my Seagull S6 had a B-Band stick on thingie under the bridge and it had a LOT more feedback, and good, but not great sound like the Lyric.

I play mostly fingerstyle, and strummed, it still holds up well.
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

Glad to hear you got a good sound,wish I did. :crying:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: longlaketech on September 26, 2013, 02:05:56 AM
I had a LR Baggs Lyric sitting in the house for two weeks, waiting for me to make the time to do the install in my OM-40 . The install was quite straight forward. Only thinking required was positioning of the volume control, which I put on the upper soundhole brace. Not ideal, but not too far out of the way.

Plugged into my Roland AC-60, sound was very good right away. May play with the presence a bit tomorrow to reduce the 'chiminess', but overall I am very happy. There is very little feedback, which I was initially concerned about as mu OM has an enlarged soundhole. For comparison, my Seagull S6 had a B-Band stick on thingie under the bridge and it had a LOT more feedback, and good, but not great sound like the Lyric.

I play mostly fingerstyle, and strummed, it still holds up well.

How bout an update? I've listened to several clips I've found online and Youtube and like the natural sound of it. This would be going in my OO 12 fret so I'm a little concerned about the Lyric being overloaded with bass and midrange, although I've heard several D-28s with the pickup and they sounded pretty good to me.

Simply want to play a few open mics doing fingerstyle playing without worrying about being heard.

So, anybody try the Lyric on a 12 fret?

TIA
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I have the Lyric in my OM03PA which is a 12 fret neck joint,the pre in the Lyric for some reason has the the mids boosted.Right now I trying to run it thru the PARA with the gain all the way down and all the EQ's set flat.Mine was out of the first release in Feb '13,they may have made change's to the pre since then.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Hey unclrob, I've stumbled on a few threads of yours on the subject and am surprised that you haven't ripped the Lyric out by now. Given how much you've done to get it to work for you, I suppose that it now does much of what you wanted it to do. From other posts on other boards people either love it or grudging like it with the caveat that many hours of eq tweaking and accessory eq boxes will be needed. <sigh>

I listened to a few Youtube vids and got the impression the tone came out a tad "rich" in that it did sound like how the inside of the guitar would, but the preamp subtracts as much of that as it can. Other comments pointed out that it will actually sound just like your guitar does but since your vantage point is different since you're not sitting in front of it, folks get annoyed that it doesn't sound exactly like they think it should and blame the pickup.

The deal for me is that I hate, hate, hate any type of piezo undersaddle tone. It's nails-on-a-chaulkboard hate. I can hear it in 2013 recordings Knopfler did on tour (Privateering) as well as recent James Taylor stuff. I have a brand new Taylor with it's state of the art ES system and hate that too. For ears as crappy as mine that seems strange but I dunno what I can do about that. The vids I listened to assured me that the Lyric sounded no where near piezo so I was thinking of giving it a try.

I have an older guitar to try the install on myself. I figure any old powerdrill will do with a WalMart bit or something like that will work for the endpost hole    Kidding. I saw this T handled reamer on Amazon, does that look like it would work ok? I have retired dentist hand dexterity and can be very patient.

Given my non strumming, overwrought fingerstyle playing I just want something I can plug into at an open mic where I at least have a hope that the generic pa setting will get what I'm playing heard. I'll be playing solo and just instrumentals and not expecting studio recording quality.  Thanks for any tips you can offer! :donut :coffee :donut
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

jp that's not a bad reamer,you'll still need to pre-drill the hole that should be just a tad bigger then the tip of the reamer.I have talked with a Bagg's tech who suggested that I return it but that's not how I do biz.I bought,I own it and I will figure out how to make it work right.In the interim you might also check out the GHS A131 which is a mic that can be velcroed to the side of your guitar.I use it when playing live indoors.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks L7 and Unc, will check into those, although I'm skeptical about a magnetic pickup - have to see if Youtube has any samples of them.

Gonna try the open mic without a pickup first, that way I'll have an excuse if I totally suck . . .<grin>

unclrob, the guitar already has an end pin, so there's that, but if I should decide to take the Lyric out and install in another guitar, what do I use for an end pin? Are there thicker end pins available?

Quote from: jpmist on December 08, 2013, 09:12:45 PM

unclrob, the guitar already has an end pin, so there's that, but if I should decide to take the Lyric out and install in another guitar, what do I use for an end pin? Are there thicker end pins available?

I have a couple of the strap pins that come with most Larrivee's that don't have electronic's installed.If you need one PM me your address and I'll get one out to you.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks