OK, WE love our Larrivees, what else do you play?

Started by DaveyO, September 13, 2013, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Besides my Larrivees, I have a Goodall Rosewood Standard and an amazing rare Yamaha LL500 handmade.  Still have my trusty old Yammie FG200 I bought new in 1972.

And here are my D10 Brazilian and JCL 40th Anniversary Reissue

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 07, 2015, 07:38:38 AM
:+1:  Would luv to giver a go for a weekend. Beautiful looking guitar!!!

Thanks! Here's my other D'Angelico.
"Guitars are meant to be played not dis-played."

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on March 07, 2015, 09:57:46 AM
Besides my Larrivees, I have a Goodall Rosewood Standard and an amazing rare Yamaha LL500 handmade.  Still have my trusty old Yammie FG200 I bought new in 1972.

And here are my D10 Brazilian and JCL 40th Anniversary Reissue

Great guitars!
"Guitars are meant to be played not dis-played."

This thread leans toward acoustics, but I recently picked up another electric that is worth mentioning here: an Ibanez AM93L ('L' for left-handed). It's a semi-hollow that's smaller than standard 335 size; closer to Gibby/Epi 339 models, with Ibby's own 'signature' horn shape.

The guitar is very well built (made in China); chose of woods, while laminates, is very good, has a three piece hog/maple/hog neck (somewhere between a Gibson '50's and '60's profile - a little beef on it).

Hardware seems fine; stays in tune. It's gold, so it will probably wear quickly, oh well - lefties can't be choosy! Neck and fretwork are excellent, even the nut is will cut with strings low enough not to require immediate attention.

The reason I got attracted to it is it has Super 58 pickups in it like some of their nicer models. Whether these are made in China as well, I don't know. They're low/vintage output with nice highs, and even though the controls are wired backwards, they work well enough for now. I suspect upgrading to full size pots and better caps will only improve the tone somewhat.

The smaller body is very comfy - and a bit lighter than a 335 style. Hangs well on a strap, sits well on your lap.

Here's a couple good demos of the tone that I think are pretty helpful/accurate:

Sweetwater demo

Yanda's Music demo (right here in Nebraska!)

Here's pics of mine...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I've got a Martin 000x1ae that I play. As far as electrics go, I play a Gibson Les Paul DC Pro

Besides my Larrivees, I have a 1977 Mossman Winter Wheat, a couple of Martins and I have two guitars that were built for me.  One is a Langejans W-6, made by Del Langejans of Holland, MI in 1996.  It has an Engelmann spruce top and walnut back and sides.  The other is a Konkoly KD-21A, made by Joe Konkoly, the head repairman and luthier at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI.  It has a red spruce top and EIR back and sides. That one is about a year and 1/2 old. 

Quote from: Dr. LJ on July 28, 2015, 07:48:52 AM

I have two guitars that were built for me.  One is a Langejans W-6, made by Del Langejans of Holland, MI in 1996.  It has an Engelmann spruce top and walnut back and sides.

Got any pics of the Langejans? Is he still building? I believe he has built for Phil Keaggy in the past...

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 28, 2015, 11:00:41 AM
Got any pics of the Langejans? Is he still building? I believe he has built for Phil Keaggy in the past...

Del is no longer building.  I am not sure how many guitars he built but mine is #800.
I met Keaggy once in Del's workshop.  I think he has 3 Langejans guitars.
This is not the greatest photo but I shows the cool looking walnut back.  It has a Baggs Dual Source pickup and curly maple binding.  The center strip on the back is also curly maple.

This is my Konkoly KD-21A. It is actually several inches from the bricks.  The photo makes it look like it is right against them  It was not!

This just in...NGD (used) 2003 Taylor 314 Ltd, full gloss with Koa back and sides. Fair price and wonderful sound. :donut :donut2 :coffee

Well, as usual, I am late for the party, but like all of us, I love my Larrivees.  You can see specifically what all I have in my signature, but I am a lot like Uncle Rob - I love Guild acoustics, too.  But, my Morgan OMM is my favorite Goto guitar.  This was//is a great thread.  Wow.  What a wonderful stable between our little group!  Some that stuck out to me - the 1977 Mossman (made in Winfield, KS), the Josh White Ovation, the Gallagher G50 mahogany Dreadnaught, the Green Mountains, and all of those Martins.  "Sweet dreams are made of these!"   :guitar  :nana_guitar  :nanadance
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

Still waiting for my L-10 but I have a Guild D1212 and a recording King Rd 310. Oh, and an old Yamaha FG140.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

As well as my Larry OM9, I have: -
Santa Cruz Tony Rice
McilRoy A30
Nigel Forster Model C
Nigel Forster Model G (Brazillian)
I have had the OM9 the longest of any off these guitars, bought it new in Guitar Center in Long Island when I was on holiday in NYC

Dave
Larry OM9, SC Tony Rice, MciLroy A30, NK Forster Model C, NK Forster Model G, PRS McCarty, PRS McCarty Soapbar, PRS McCarty HollowBody, PRS Swamp Ash Spec, PRS Starla, PRS SE One, Grosh Retro Classic, Blade RH4, Blade R2, Blade T2, Blade Texas Vintage 62, Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro, Patrick Eggle NY Broadway, Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom

I currently have no Larrivee instruments, but have had them in the past and will likely have one or more in the future.  My current herd of 9 acoustics and 1 classical is as follows:

1999 Bill Tippin OMT (EIR/Alpine)
2002 Dan Biasca Classical (Madagascar RW/Englemann - Torres/Hauser hybrid design)
2002 David Webber MJ cutaway (Tasmanian Blackwood/Sitka)
2003 David Webber MJ (Sapele/Englemann)
2005 David Webber Roundbody cutaway (Big Leaf Oregon Maple/Sitka)
2009 SCGC FS cutaway (EIR/Cedar)
2009 SCGC 00 1929 Sunburst (all Honduran mahogany)
2010 Julius Borges OM 18 (Honduran mahogany/Adirondack)
2011 SCGC F Custom (all Honduran mahogany)
2013 Kerry Char Stahl 00 (Koa/Lutz)

Quote from: sdelsolray on September 28, 2017, 03:33:21 PM
I currently have no Larrivee instruments, but have had them in the past and will likely have one or more in the future.  My current herd of 9 acoustics and 1 classical is as follows:

1999 Bill Tippin OMT (EIR/Alpine)
2002 Dan Biasca Classical (Madagascar RW/Englemann - Torres/Hauser hybrid design)
2002 David Webber MJ cutaway (Tasmanian Blackwood/Sitka)
2003 David Webber MJ (Sapele/Englemann)
2005 David Webber Roundbody cutaway (Big Leaf Oregon Maple/Sitka)
2009 SCGC FS cutaway (EIR/Cedar)
2009 SCGC 00 1929 Sunburst (all Honduran mahogany)
2010 Julius Borges OM 18 (Honduran mahogany/Adirondack)
2011 SCGC F Custom (all Honduran mahogany)
2013 Kerry Char Stahl 00 (Koa/Lutz)

We need pictures of these... doesn't that go without saying?!  :whistling:

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 28, 2017, 06:22:29 PM
We need pictures of these... doesn't that go without saying?!  :whistling:

Yeah, I agree.  Most of my photos are on Photobucket which I can't use anymore.  Once I get them migrated to some other hosting site, I'll post some here.

I just picked up a Martin DST. To my ears, it sounds like a D-18. The satin finish is reminiscent of the Larrivee 03 Series. I don't use photobucket anymore. My review and pics are on my blog. Martin DST Special Edition Dreadnought

Quote from: flagstaffcharlie on October 18, 2017, 07:57:49 AM
I just picked up a Martin DST. To my ears, it sounds like a D-18. The satin finish is reminiscent of the Larrivee 03 Series. I don't use photobucket anymore. My review and pics are on my blog. Martin DST Special Edition Dreadnought

Nice review of the DST. I actually like all of its specs except the gold tuners, but as you said, that's easily changed (I'd go with some Grover open backed tuners). Do you still have your D-21 Special? I didn't see a review of it on your sight...

...Martin just came out with a new model - I think it's called the America One (?) - but it is all USA sourced woods: Adirondack top and braces, Sycamore b/s, Walnut bridge, fingerboard and headplate.  I played one at a local dealer and was pretty impressed - except that it is priced @ $400 MORE than a D-18 Standard (I suspect because of the Adirondack top).

Martin is making some excellent guitars these days - in spite of the large volume they're also cranking out.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 18, 2017, 09:20:16 AM
Nice review of the DST. I actually like all of its specs except the gold tuners, but as you said, that's easily changed (I'd go with some Grover open backed tuners). Do you still have your D-21 Special? I didn't see a review of it on your sight...

...Martin just came out with a new model - I think it's called the America One (?) - but it is all USA sourced woods: Adirondack top and braces, Sycamore b/s, Walnut bridge, fingerboard and headplate.  I played one at a local dealer and was pretty impressed - except that it is priced @ $400 MORE than a D-18 Standard (I suspect because of the Adirondack top).

Martin is making some excellent guitars these days - in spite of the large volume they're also cranking out.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Yes. I still own the D-21 Special. It's one of the best guitars I have had! The blog is just an occasional thing I started earlier this year, and I'm mainly planning to use it as bonus material for my students. Maybe at some point I'll write a thing about the D-21 Special, especially since Martin has reintroduced a much different version of it.

I agree that Martin's solid wood dreadnoughts are remarkably consistent. They work from a great basic recipe. So as long as they practice good craftmanship, the results should be there. Also, I'm a bit jaded about some of the "cork sniffing" applied to various models. There are differences up and down the line, and I'll concede a certain amount of difference between guitar models. But as I said in my blog, I don't believe people who say they can identify a neck joint by ear. The key is always going to be the top wood and bracing, followed by things like scale length, bridge material and design, body wood, etc.., Most Martin mahogany dreadnoughts are going to sound pretty close to a D-18. Rosewood D's sound close to a D-28. My D-21 Special sounds different than a D-28. But I think lots of us - maybe even me - would be fooled easily in a blind test.

The other thing Martin is doing is offering more dreadnoughts in a more affordable price range that have a wider neck. That's a good development for a lot of us who don't just flatpick these things.

Larrivee uses a slightly different basic recipe to get a signature sound, and their guitars are just as consistent. But different.

:coffee :donut :donut2 Please don't tell my wife about the donuts! 😇

This non-Larrivee is one that I just fell into a lucky deal on.  It has to be one of the premier guitars in my collection right up there with my D-10 BZ and Northwood MJ80F.  It is a Bourgeois D-Vintage Aged Tone with an ultra silky torrefied Sitka Spruce top...  Sounds incredible.
George