Soundhole pu?

Started by nuncle, December 23, 2011, 08:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm sure this is a worn out topic question, but I need some advice in buying a sound hole pu for my L-03.  I had one, an LR Bags (sp?) active humbucker, but I knocked it up so much installing and removing it that it became unusable.  Here's the deal--I prefer to play the guitar without a chunk of metal and plastic clipped to the circumference of the sound hole, and I have the digital delicacy of an inebriated chimp, so when I remove or install the pu, I frequently drop it--clunk--inside the body of the guitar, which, after a while, produces the battered pu syndrome.  And!  I aint cuttin' no hole in the side of my guitar to install a preamp.  Besides, I like the sound of a sound hole pu.   So, I'm thinking about buying a Fishman single coil pu.  I like single coil pickups, based on my electric guitar preferences (Tele and LP Jr.), and the Fishman unit looks, 1) skinny [that's good], 2) sturdy [even better--see above], and 3) is cheap(er) than the humbucker units [never hurts].  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions for other pick ups/brands  I may not be considering?  (There's a Fishman humbucker sound hole pu with a small mike that tempts me, but it is very expensive and does not look like it is easy to install and remove.  But maybe it's worth the coin and the bother?)
Larrivee L-03R,  Recording King RD-03, Simon & Patrck Woodland Pro Folk, Martin OOCXAE, Gib. LP Jr, Gib Melody Maker Special, Fender (mim) 69 Tele Thinline

I have the LR Baggs M-1 you refer to.  It is big, heavy and cumbersome to install / de-install but I like the sound.   I use it primarily in my OM-03R and L-10. I've grown real fond of the K&K pure western mini that I've installed in my 000-50 now.  it is a little tedious to install but it is totally hidden, attached to the bridge-plate inside.   If you feel too clumsy to install it I'm sure the shop that sells you one can install it for you for a reasonable price and you don't ever have to see it or fool with it again.  The sound it very natural and I found that it works just fine with the LR Baggs para-acoustic DI that I use with the M-1.

I just installed an old Bartolini HBer in my Stagg acoustic but not for the same reasons as most.I also installed a volumn and tone thru the top.It already has a barndoor pu in it anI've added my GK-2 midi unit.The bart is for a ES175 tone the stock pu sounds like *ss but I'll try to fix that later and the midi is because I feel wierd playing my tele type in an acoustic duo so for appearance sak its now on an acoustic.I plan on adding more pu's as time goes buy,its my kudo's to JJ Cale's Harmony archtop that he plays with 6 pu's in it.Again a tech should never get bored specially when he has all sorts of parts laying around.Maybe I figure a way to install a Bigsby :wacko:.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I should add that I've installed a lot of M1's the most recent being in a 66 J45 and they sound wonderful and a permitted install has no effect on the guitar acoustically,its only a visual thing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I still like my 27 year old Seymour Duncan acoustic tube (humbucker with volume control) for instantly "electrifying" any acoustic I might need to for a particular situation.  It has a pretty nice sound for what it is.  You can still get them thru Stewmac.

However, it definately fits into the "drop prone" category you are trying to avoid.  It clips onto the sound hole and is pretty tricky the first few times till you get the technique down.  In fact, when I first had it, it wasn't long before I accidentally "rubbed off" the volume dial while installing it.  I just glued it back on and it has been good ever since.

I have K&K pure minis in both my Larrivees.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Dear Tuffy the Pug (or Winston Churchill?), Uncle Rob, and L-07 Shooting Star,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.  I should add that I was very fond of my LR Bags (sp?) pu, and, in my limited experience, prefer an active sound hole pu to under saddle/bridge-plate plus preamp arrangements.  I have such a set-up in a little Martin and a Simon Patrick.  I can never seem to get either dialed into my liking. The best arrangement for me, so far, has been to play directly into a standard mike hooked to a sound-board, but that has obvious disadvantages.  That's not to say other, more gifted, talented, artistic, etc. pickers don't sound heavenly with the aforementioned under-saddle/bridge-plate w preamp arrangements.  Just doesn't seem to work for me.  Of course, the best sound is a naked guitar with that old spruce, cedar, or  what-have-you top humming.  But I play out sometimes and with electric instruments, so volume is an issue.  Also money is an issue (aint it always?).

But you've given me some good leads.  Stay tuned for my next question, which will ask for advice on acoustic guitar amplification.  I have an old Peavey E 12 that sounds pretty good, but it's getting a bit weary and I'm thinking about replacing it.  But that's another story.  

Cheers and spicy wassail to all.  Make the welkin ring! :donut :smile:

Nuncle        
Larrivee L-03R,  Recording King RD-03, Simon & Patrck Woodland Pro Folk, Martin OOCXAE, Gib. LP Jr, Gib Melody Maker Special, Fender (mim) 69 Tele Thinline

I hope I am not breaking any forum rules here by responding this way - if so, Iapologize for being a newbie....

I have a LR Baggs M1A that has been used very little that I was thinking of posting here for sale.... It sounds great  - looks great and is currently in my LR03. 

If you are interested let me know...

Switch

I am really liking the new LR Baggs Anthem system - very natural - give it a look at this link:  http://www.lrbaggs.com/anthem/

Quote from: Switch on January 11, 2012, 01:47:02 PM
I hope I am not breaking any forum rules here by responding this way - if so, Iapologize for being a newbie....

I have a LR Baggs M1A that has been used very little that I was thinking of posting here for sale.... It sounds great  - looks great and is currently in my LR03. 

If you are interested let me know...

Switch

Switch your spidey sense was tingling for a reason. We here are not an Auction House and if you are looking to sell something on the Forum do so in the Marketplace section with a $ clearly stated.

•All items for sale must have a price.  No best offers, etc.  This is not the place for an auction.

Please give the Marketplace rules a read

:cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I stand very politely corrected. And will post it for sale in the correct area..

Switch

Have you looked into the rare earth blend? quite a variety of sounds at your disposal with this setup.

I'm a fishman fan for sure, but..... I just ordered a L.R. baggs M1 active soundhole pickup for my guitar.  Very natural sounding.  Plus, L.R. Baggs is releasing a new soundhole pickup this year that is supposed to be awesome!
The M1 received rave reviews from players.  The fishman is still a great option too.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Thanks, all. :donut

LR Baggs M1 Active sound great
Bobby Cameron

Bose L1-Compact
2000 D-04  6 String   Fishman Plus
2004 L-05 12 String   Fishman Infinity
2005 D-05  6 String   L.R Baggs M1 Active

www.facebook.com/AcoustiCameron
Twitter:          @camerob
YouTube:        Bhoybobby