Summer Vacations: Where'd you go?

Started by Caleb, August 04, 2013, 01:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Summer's coming to a close in most places as folks get ready to go back to school, etc.   Would be interesting to see where some of you all went?   

I only went up the road a few hours to Oklahoma City for a weekend.  They have the National Cowboy Museum there I wanted to visit, and I like the pace of that city in general.  It's a good place to hole up in a hotel for a while and take it easy.   There's also a good place outside of town on old Route 66 called Pops that has over 500 varieties of soda in bottles.  Had a good time there. 

We went to the beach a couple of times. Once to San Destin Florida and the other to Panama City beach.

My employer just told me that I have too much paid time off accumulated so I won't earn anymore until I use some, so we are searching for a nice place to go in mid September.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Quote from: brandon on August 04, 2013, 01:54:39 PM
We went to the beach a couple of times. Once to San Destin Florida and the other to Panama City beach.

My employer just told me that I have too much paid time off accumulated so I won't earn anymore until I use some, so we are searching for a nice place to go in mid September.
September?  Consider taking a drive through New England.  The leaves will be changing and it's some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.  I remember driving down a highway in Maine once next to the ocean.  The waves crashed, the gulls cried overhead, and a fog hung over the little towns we drove through.  Then to the little country highways of New Hampshire.  I rented an RV and had a blast.  Highly suggested.

I went to Hernia Recovery Land!  What a blast!  Bedroom, kitchen, living room.  Chair.   Another chair.  Around the block.  Back to the chair.  (this repeats for the better part of 2 + weeks.  The tuba didn't get touched but the guitar saw lots of action along with a number of good books.   I don't recommend this vacation for anyone.  I'm sure you can find something better to do with your vacation time.
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Now that we're retired, summer means "staycation" ... after Labor Day until Memorial is when we take vacation. Late September we're bound for Holden Beach, NC. Late October a month long road trip to the PNW. Will take a week up to the Wisconsin Dells area for a snow vacation, a train trip in April. Looking at a large family vacation in Nashville as well - one of those 5-6 bedroom rental homes on the lake.

Also reading / planning about taking a road trip on some of the old historic US routes - one that avoids freeways completely. That's been a dream for years.

Copenhagen! :thumbsup :bgrin: Love Denmark. Only thing I don't like about it is  I am not there now! :crying:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Leaving Friday morning early and taking our 4 grown children; a daughter and husband and our 3 yr old granddaughter, 2 sons and their girlfriends and our other daughter and her boyfriend..11 of us in all, and flying from Michigan to Seattle. From there on Saturday we board a big cruise ship and spend the next week cruising to and from Alaska. We have a whale watching excursion planned in Juneau, and we plan on lying on the upper most deck on Sunday night/Monday morning watching the Perseid meteor shower, too. We've done this sort of vacation with the kids before and it was incredible! So hard to get them all together these days and we're really looking forward to this!     
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Went to Maui Hawaii a couple of weeks ago,
really beautiful, had a relaxing time with my family
missed my guitar though
Dave

What is this thing "Vacation" you all keep talking about?????I'm not sure that I understand the meaning of "retirement",I thought that its what you did if you woke up in the middle of the night and tried to go back too sleep.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

We'll be going in a week or so.  We have a cabin on a creek (swimming, tubing, kayaking, hiking, wildlife observation, etc.) in northeastern Maryland.  Some of my best time there is spent irritating the local wildlife with my guitar.  This year I need to build a small deck and possibly put a roof on a small shed.  

Ed

We (my two teenage boys and wife) went to the emerald coast for a couple weeks in our pop-up camper. That would be north Florida, between Panama City and Destin. My wife loves beach and water, I snorkle and fish.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: DaveyO on August 04, 2013, 08:23:56 PM
Went to Maui Hawaii a couple of weeks ago,
really beautiful, had a relaxing time with my family
missed my guitar though
Dave
I'm delaying my vacation this year until October.
Each time I have been to Hawaii, I have gone down to one of the local music stores and rented a guitar for the week (or in one case, two weeks). Paid about $35/wk, which is about one of the less costly vacation expenses when I add them all up.
Two things I really enjoy when I vacation is bicycling and playng guitar. With air travel becoming more expensive and much more difficult with respect to packing, I always try to rent these items when I arrive.
(That might be more difficult this fall, though.)

Quote from: broKen on August 05, 2013, 03:00:56 AM
We (my two teenage boys and wife) went to the emerald coast for a couple weeks in our pop-up camper. That would be north Florida, between Panama City and Destin. My wife loves beach and water, I snorkle and fish.

I'm 2 hours east come on by.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Vacation? wazzthat? summer is peak gigging time. :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: unclrob on August 05, 2013, 10:51:12 AM
I'm 2 hours east come on by.

I thought about you Rob. If I had been a little closer I may have dropped in. Thanks for the invite.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: headsup on August 05, 2013, 11:13:18 AM
Vacation? wazzthat? summer is peak gigging time. :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

In Tallahassee which is a collage town all summer brings is more heat then normal.

Quote from: broKen on August 05, 2013, 12:53:34 PM
I thought about you Rob. If I had been a little closer I may have dropped in. Thanks for the invite.

The door is always open. :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Spent 10 days in Ireland on a family trip. Attended a wedding in the Belfast area and also spent time in Dublin, Galway and the Aran Islands. It is a beautiful country, the people are wonderful, the music was everywhere and, oh yeah, the pubs weren't bad either!
Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop

Quote from: jcbuggs on August 07, 2013, 04:55:04 PM
Spent 10 days in Ireland on a family trip. Attended a wedding in the Belfast area and also spent time in Dublin, Galway and the Aran Islands. It is a beautiful country, the people are wonderful, the music was everywhere and, oh yeah, the pubs weren't bad either!
Got any pub pics or Irish countryside shots?

A couple of pictures from Kinvarna. This is Dunguaire Castle a 16th century tower house and is on the Southeastern shore of Galway Bay. Still looking for time to organize all the pictures we took from various camera,s and phones etc. May have been busy doing something else in the pubs.     
Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop

Well, I came all the way from The Netherlands to the US.
We spend a month in CA, UT, AZ.

And guess what?

I visited the Larrivee factory in Oxnard and got a nice tour.

How's that for a holiday?  :smile:

Lucky me.

Larrivee C-10
Larrivee OM-05MT
Larrivee J09-12 Maple
Ricardo Sanchis Carpio 1Ab
Ibanez AW25