John Pearse arm rest

Started by Solar Architect, March 24, 2013, 09:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,
I'm thinking of purchasing a arm rest for my Larrivee OM to open up the sound a little and get a little more volume.   Has anyone else installed one on a OM model?  Does it fit the contour of the OM model ok?
Any feedback is appreciated.
thanks. :donut :coffee :coffee

Hi.

I use this one that fit very well on my C10 : http://www.bellinati.com/plenosom/index.html

I did not notice any change in the sound. I mostly used it in the summer when it is hot to protect the body.

Claude
Larrivée C-10 with iMix no cut
Laforest Classical #5
Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA nylon strings
Godin XTSA electric
Tacoma BM6C Baritone tuned ADGCEA with G and C one octave higher
Norman B20 HG

Quote from: Solar Architect on March 24, 2013, 09:57:21 AM
Hello,
I'm thinking of purchasing a arm rest for my Larrivee OM to open up the sound a little and get a little more volume.   Has anyone else installed one on a OM model?  Does it fit the contour of the OM model ok?

I don't have an OM, but I have seen them on OM's.  I do have one on my parlor and it works great and does exactly what you describe.  If you go to the Pearse site, there are downloadable templates.  The thing to do is download and print them, then cut them out and hold them on the guitar where your arm sits.  Pick the one that best fits the curve.  You need to read the instructions and set the scaling right so they print the right size. 

Ed

That's great guys, thanks for your help.

Don

I've used one on am OM and it did let my sound breathe a bit more also...noticeable to be.   I used the JR ebony and the contour was very close...maybe a couple 1/16ths on one end lower then the shape of the guitar side.

I can also tell a difference using a Neck Up Guitar Support. Highly recommend..... It makes playing a lot more comfy if you sit while playing and it lets the guitar "float" a bit more with to my ear makes it resonate more.  The 5 inch one was almost perfect for me.  You can always trim some off the hard piece that slips into the leather pocket to support the guitar and adjust it a bit.

Hope this helps

I've dowloaded the templates and the Slim Line Jr. seems to be the best match for my guitar.    I will look into the neck up guitar support(i'm not sure what that is... i'm off to google it)
Thanks everyone.

Don

Quote from: Solar Architect on March 24, 2013, 09:57:21 AM
Hello,
I'm thinking of purchasing a arm rest for my Larrivee OM to open up the sound a little and get a little more volume.   Has anyone else installed one on a OM model?  Does it fit the contour of the OM model ok?

A ToneRite would do these things but if those are your reasons for adding an armrest, I think you may be disappointed.  :?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 28, 2013, 07:31:08 AM
A ToneRite would do these things but if those are your reasons for adding an armrest, I think you may be disappointed.  :?

Never used one, huh?

Ed

There has been a bunch of threads in the past, you can search either tonerite or tone-rite to read up, also google the website.  They cost about $200 but several of us bought one a few months back on a 1/2 price sale.  It vibrates the top when you aren't playing it.  Depending on where you set it at, you can have it focus on increased volume or a richer fuller tone.  It's my voodoo magic!  I'm not one to buy into this stuff but I'm happy I did.  Anyways, you can read up on past threads b/c not everyone is a fan...although the folks that have never used one are typically against them and it seems the folks that have bought them are happy with the purchase...lot's of reviews and discussions you can read up on though.  I think if you have one or 2 guitars you play all the time, it's really not needed.  But if you have more, or don't get to play regularly, then there's a very noticeable benefit. 
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 28, 2013, 09:30:01 AM
There has been a bunch of threads in the past, you can search either tonerite or tone-rite to read up, also google the website.  They cost about $200 but several of us bought one a few months back on a 1/2 price sale.  It vibrates the top when you aren't playing it.  Depending on where you set it at, you can have it focus on increased volume or a richer fuller tone.  It's my voodoo magic!  I'm not one to buy into this stuff but I'm happy I did.  Anyways, you can read up on past threads b/c not everyone is a fan...although the folks that have never used one are typically against them and it seems the folks that have bought them are happy with the purchase...lot's of reviews and discussions you can read up on though.  I think if you have one or 2 guitars you play all the time, it's really not needed.  But if you have more, or don't get to play regularly, then there's a very noticeable benefit.  

My comment isn't about a tone rite.  It is about a Pearse armrest.  I have had them on a few guitars.  From someone who *has* used them, I can say they will open up the sound and increase volume over not having one and resting an arm on the top.  I think you are in error saying that an armrest user would be disappointed.

I'm not against anyone using a tone rite (or a fish bubbler or any other device) strapped to *their* guitar.  My guitars have done fine without them, though.

Ed

Ps: fwiw, I've followed the tone rite discussions for years now.  I've known people who use them.

You are correct, I have not used an armrest but, any time one adds a mass to the soundboard, it cannot have a positive affect on the tone.  In the case of an armrest, it's in such a dead area of the soundboard that I doubt that affect would be noticeable but still...adding mass to the soundboard = bad.  I have had a few convo's with luthiers who tell me this and it makes perfect sense.  I don't think there are exceptions to that.  You could be right, but I would have to read up on it.  Honestly, I don't know the first thing about how an armrest is attached, may not even be attached to the soundboard but still, I don't see how it would improve tone.  As far as a TR, I too have guitars that are fine without them, in fact my best sounding guitar has never been 'tone-rited' b/c it gets played so much it's not needed at all.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 28, 2013, 10:17:10 AM
You are correct, I have not used an armrest but, any time one adds a mass to the soundboard, it cannot have a positive affect on the tone.  In the case of an armrest, it's in such a dead area of the soundboard that I doubt that affect would be noticeable but still...adding mass to the soundboard = bad.  I have had a few convo's with luthiers who tell me this and it makes perfect sense.  I don't think there are exceptions to that.  You could be right, but I would have to read up on it.  Honestly, I don't know the first thing about how an armrest is attached, may not even be attached to the soundboard but still, I don't see how it would improve tone.  As far as a TR, I too have guitars that are fine without them, in fact my best sounding guitar has never been 'tone-rited' b/c it gets played so much it's not needed at all.

The Pearse armrest attaches on the edge where the top is glued to the kerfing.  It is an area that does not vibrate.  Try playing normally (with your arm laying on the top), and then raise your arm off the top (like most classical players do).  You should clearly hear a difference in volume and resonance.  They do exactly what you say, raise the mass of the players arm off of the soundboard, allowing it to vibrate more freely.

Ed

I see, that makes a lot of sense.  Thanks eded.

:beer
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 28, 2013, 10:17:10 AM
Honestly, I don't know the first thing about how an armrest is attached, may not even be attached to the soundboard but still, I don't see how it would improve tone. 

They attach with double sided tape over the kerfing.  It only touches the top of the guitar in a thin (3/8" line) along the edge of the top where the soundboard is not vibrating anyway.

I definitely noticed a difference in sustain and volume when I installed one on my Guild, on my Taylor not so much.   I suspect the Taylor is so overbraced that it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks again everyone... here is a pic of the installed John Pearse Ebony Slim Line Jr.
It's great!  I hope this image post works..... :donut2 :donut :donut :donut :donut :coffee