Larrivee D-40

Started by lolligagger, April 26, 2008, 08:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some nice eye candy posted in this thread  :nice guitar: s

What is the nut width on these badboys?  I bet they are cannons!

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

After closer inspection of my D-40, I've found some hairline cracks in the fretboard...unfortunately, I have to take it back...fortunately, I'll be getting a D-09!!!

The D-40 rocks though, they just don't have another at L&M...boooh :crying:

Quote from: tricky on February 02, 2009, 10:32:04 PM
After closer inspection of my D-40, I've found some hairline cracks in the fretboard...unfortunately, I have to take it back...fortunately, I'll be getting a D-09!!!

The D-40 rocks though, they just don't have another at L&M...boooh :crying:

bummer......

Well, the D-09s are wonderful guitars, but they are not the same as the traditional series. Give it time, happiness will return..   :nana_guitar
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Well, after much playing I decided to go with the L-03R.

Subtle yet defined.

I'm a happy camper once again!

My next purchase is going to be Model OOO-50-TSB...what a looker.

Well, i finally have one. I bought a larrivee, oh what a feeling!
My D-40 kills any other guitar i have ever played. the sound is incredible. all i have to do now is put a pickup in. any suggestions?

Quote from: Irishdave on February 14, 2009, 05:20:43 PM
Well, i finally have one. I bought a larrivee, oh what a feeling!
My D-40 kills any other guitar i have ever played. the sound is incredible. all i have to do now is put a pickup in. any suggestions?

The iMix is the best sounding pickup in my opinion. If you want to avoid electronics in the guitar, then  K&K Pure seems to be popular.

Oh yes. congrats on the D-40. everyone that has one says they are fantastic.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Randy_R on February 15, 2009, 03:27:51 PM
The iMix is the best sounding pickup in my opinion. If you want to avoid electronics in the guitar, then  K&K Pure seems to be popular.

:+1: I'll vouch for that - the I-mix is a great system. Congrats with your new axe!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Thanks for the suggestions!!

but i was re stringing my d 40 last night and found some cracks in the fretboard. do you guys think they will spread? I'm torn here because i love this guitar, i played a lot of other larrivee's and this was my fav, and i cant get other one since they don't make them any more.....sigh. damn I'm sad.

thanks for sharing the pics, it is so beautiful!!!
Larrivee C-19 1996
Larrivee D-60 SH
Gibson Hummingbird 1976
Gibson F-25 1964
Gibson L-00
Aria AD-150N
Yamaha FG-300 Red Label 1978
K.Yairi LO-100
K.Yairi 40-LO
K.Yairi YW-600
K.Yairi YW-600S 1977
K.Yairi RR-700
Martin D-41
Santa Cruz Model D
Tacoma C1C
Takamine G334
Epiphone FT-130 SB

Quote from: Irishdave on February 17, 2009, 09:39:40 AM

but i was re stringing my d 40 last night and found some cracks in the fretboard. do you guys think they will spread? I'm torn here because i love this guitar, i played a lot of other larrivee's and this was my fav, and i cant get other one since they don't make them any more.....sigh. damn I'm sad.

Dave,

You might want to contact unclrob who is a repair technician.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Irishdave on February 17, 2009, 09:39:40 AM

Small cracks in ebony fretboards are not a big deal. But like Randy said talk to unclrob. I'd like to see some pics of this fretboard myself. You would need to e-mail them to me and if you want I can post them here.
            e-mail is dependan@gmail.com

Sorry to necro this thread. I just bought a used D-40 RW from Long and McQuaid here in Toronto. Serial number is higher than one's posted here. 110815 once I figure out what to say for 9 more posts I'll add some pix.

In the mean time...  :donut  :donut2  :coffee  :donut  :donut2

Follow up to my post about the D-40 got a reply back from Mike at Larrivee today. It was built on 4-21-2010 so it seems there have been several production runs of this guitar. He thought there may have been about 40 built.

:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut

I remember trying one of those at the local Long & McQuade here in Ottawa a few years back.  Great sounding, huge sounding guitar.  I've never been a huge fan of Larrivee's rosewood instruments, I really love mahogany, but many of the rosewood/sitka dreads I've tried were cannons. 

That would be a nice counterpart for my D-60! I love the rosewood and Sitka combo.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I picked up a D-40 the other day used at a local Long & McQuade, couldn't figure out what it was at first until I landed here. Mine is a bit different in that it does not have the herringbone trim but does have the herringbone around the sound hole. Got a quick reply back from Mike at Larrivee regarding the build date which was 4-21-2010 and he thought there were about 40 made. What I forgot to ask was if that was 40 for the entire run or 40 for this run since mine is a bit different from the others posted here. Plus my serial number is a lot higher. So it seems that there have been a few runs of this guitar.

For comparison I posted a side by side of our brand new P-03RW which has a build date of 2-13-2013. I like how the top wood on the D-40 has darkened down with a slightly more yellow cast. One thing that does make me curious is that the case for the D-40 looks a lot older or should I say worn then I would have expected for a 3 year old guitar.

According to the folks at L&M this guitar has been in the system twice and had been returned to the store I picked it up at after it had been sold at Bloor. So just in case there is something I'm missing I'm off to visit with the folks at the 12th Fret tomorrow to have her checked out while I still have time left to change my mind (which I doubt I would do).

Figures I don't have nice lighting! Dang snow! Too lazy to drag out the lighting kit.

That P-03RW looks like Alpine Spruce.

Quote from: dependan on February 27, 2013, 01:57:25 PM
That P-03RW looks like Alpine Spruce.

Hi, think it's the lighting that afternoon. Was trying to show how much darker and yellow the D-40RW is vs our brand spanking new P-03 which was made on Feb 13, 2013. Photo is carrying a bit too much blue/cyan guess I didn't take enough out when I was looking at it on my monitor at home.

The top photo of the front is more accurate colour wise, the bottom shot was done as I was loosing light that afternoon so it's starting to go blue from the overcast lighting.

Once the snow stops falling I'll try and get some better pix.