The RS-4 - Some Thoughts

Started by ducktrapper, September 21, 2012, 07:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was just playing my RS-4 through my 4 watt Gem and have to say, "What a guitar!" Really, the nicest electric guitar I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I was noodling around in A, basic rock'n'roll riffs on the G and D strings between the 2nd and fourth fret, growlin' away and got a pinch harmonic, bending the G string up a semi-tone at the fourth fret, that was as nice as any note I've ever heard on any guitar, by any player. I wish I could put it all together but I've never ... oh forget that but ... wow. I love this guitar. By the way, there's nothing wrong with the Lollar Imperials. Magnificent instrument!

:drool:

I don't think ML chose the Lollars by accident. They are a top shelf PUP to match a top shelf guitar. Anybody saying there is :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Duck,

Agreed. Any time I plug in the RS-4 I think the same thing - just the best quality instrument. I know the Collings are nice, and so are some others that I haven't played (like McInterff's, etc.), but there's no way they're any better in quality or tone than the RS-4.

( I need to take some better outside shots...this one doesn't do it justice.)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 21, 2012, 09:31:12 PM
:drool:

I don't think ML chose the Lollars by accident. They are a top shelf PUP to match a top shelf guitar. Anybody saying there is :?

Only by implication. While it makes perfect sense for Matthew to develop a proprietary pickup for LarrivĂ©e, and not having the opportunity to try one but judging by the one that his dad made that's in my old LT-1, they are likely fantastic, if you have one of the older ones with the Lollars, however, you don't have to feel you need to run out and buy a new one in order for it to sound its best. Whew, that's quite a sentence!    

OK. I recall when Larrivee 1st changed  to in house I had the opportunity to pickup one unheard as only had the one with the Lollars. I got quite a deal ( unable to match since :-( BUT was prepared to take a step down as for anyone that knows anything about PUP's know that Lollars are as about a fine a PUP out there.

I was quite taken aback about how good the Larrivee PUP actually was.

Ferrari or  Lamborghini  - quite a decision

As you stated in your electric comparisons I have not played an electric better than an RS-4; whether it has the Lollars or the Larrivees
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

everytime, and i mean every time, i play my rs-4 out, i get several question about what kind of guitar it is.  people say thins like the've never heard such a deep and vocal guitar that is also very lively.

Quote from: fritferret on September 24, 2012, 03:41:44 PM
everytime, and i mean every time, i play my rs-4 out, i get several question about what kind of guitar it is.  people say thins like the've never heard such a deep and vocal guitar that is also very lively.
And wow!!!! I didn't know Larrivee made electrics  :wacko:

I'm halfway to having enough money in my toy account for an RS-4. I will have me one.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on October 12, 2012, 08:36:14 AM
I'm halfway to having enough money in my toy account for an RS-4. I will have me one.

You will not regret that choice, mon ami.  :thumb

On second thought, you might already have enough for a used one.   :whistling:

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 12, 2012, 09:08:08 AM
On second thought, you might already have enough for a used one.   :whistling:

Duck beat me to it - a used one is a great value.  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hmmm...that's a thought.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT